RCA 52 inch TV

Company: RCA 52 inch TV

RCA 52 inch TV

November 10, 2005

Thomson Inc. 10330 North Meridian Street Indianapolis, IN. 46290

We purchased a RCA 52 inch television on November 20, 2004. On November 1, 2005, being still under warranty, we were watching the TV when all of a sudden it sounded like a bottle rocket was going off and the screen went black. I tried to turn the TV off with the remote and when this didn't happen my husband ran to the back of the TV to see sparks, smoke, coming out of it and noticed that the inside was a red as fire. He unplugged the TV and the sparks stopped, but it was still very red inside. Afraid that it was trying to catch fire being that is was sitting on carpet, I ran and got a screw driver to take off the panel that is close to the very bottom of the TV next to the floor not the entire back panel.

We noticed that a box had burned and melted. The next day I contacted the service center regarding the warranty and to see if they would fix the TV. I was told to contact consumer services and given all these options and then spoke with Tasha. She then advised since we had taken the panel off that this voided our warranty. I explained to her and several others of the situatuion and what had happened when I made additional calls that the TV was on fire it looked like a sparkler had been lite and was coming out of the back of it.

So needles to say after our conversation they said they would have to contact their supervisor and would call me back but that didn't happen. I called back on November 2, 2005, and was advised again that since we had taken the panel off that voided our warranty. I asked them if we had hit it with the fire extinguisher if they would have covered and did not get an answer.

I also asked if we had not have made sure the fire was out would they have paid for the replacement of our home and all things that would have been lost and still received no answer other than I could write to their review board. I have not done this yet as I called our local repair shop he came out and told me that the transformer was what had caught fire. He took the panel to his shop, replaced the transformer and I asked him if this was something that happened often and he said no that this was a bad transformer. The transformer was $89.00, the labor was $120.00 and $5.34 was for tax on the part.

Now I ask you should RCA knowing the facts would it have been better knowing that their product did not burn our house down causing us to loose over 23 years of our life and our children's lives or should they have understood and stood behind their product and agreed to cover the TV with the warranty that was still in affect. Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_50780#

e6e9b544, 2008-08-31, 12:16PM CDT

I have a RCA 52 inch tv and had the same thing happen. it made a loud noise went black and we could smell smoke in the back, we took off the back panel and the transformer on the left bottom of the tv was on fire. We unplugged the tv. Now I called RCA and they told me it was not under warranty. We called a repair man and he said it would cost 500.00 to fix. I think these tv's have bad transformers they should have been recalled I paid 1500.00 for my tv and I have not used it for months now not knowing what to do, if I should fix it for 500.00 or buy a new tv

978b1d26, 2010-07-20, 01:17PM CDT

Call 800-447-1700 and file a complaint. If everyone files a complaint to the correct company then they can do something about it.