GE Spectra - GE Spectra (electric stove)

Posted on Tuesday, May 31st, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by abd9c423

Product: electric stove

Company: GE Spectra

Category: Appliances, Equipment, Tools

I have a slightly used GE Spectra -- 2 years old. I have only toasted toast in this oven -- I use the cooktop occassionally. An entire coil started on fire while I was toasting toast. The entire coil completely burned out. The fire department had to come. This is virtually a NEW stove.

I had to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher -- and the stove is ruined, as far as I'm concerned. I do not trust it for any further use. I would recommend anyone who owns a Spectra be very, very wary of the coils.

9f6af1d9, 2007-12-17, 02:00PM CST

I was warming up my Spectra oven to bake cookies last night (375) and looked down and also found the heating coil on fire. The fire looked like a candle at the end. Each part the fire touched broke and crumbled to the ranch floor. I pulled flour on it trying to put it out and that just burned though. This stove was about 3 yrs old and under very light use. I use the over, maybe once a month for short amounts of time. The only way to get the fire out was to unplug the stove. Very Dangerous!

d2a55bf9, 2008-01-13, 12:44AM CST

I also have a GE Spectra electric freestanding range. It's either a JBP10, JBP26 or JBP30 (not sure) It's about 3 years old. About 1 year ago, the back right coil started popping and snapping, so I stopped using it. This week, the coil inside the oven caught on fire (electrical fire, not a fire due to food on the coil). Even when we shut off the stove, the fire and sparks did not shut off. Had to use fire entinguisher and shut off the breaker to get the fire & sparks to stop.

05fc0e57, 2008-03-02, 04:19PM CST

My wife turned on our GE Spectra oven to warm up for cooking dinner, and about 1 minute after turning on, she noticed a bright light coming from the window. We opened the door, and the lower element was on fire, like a welders arc. It was popping, snapping and even when I turned OFF the oven it kept sparking and popping. I had to kill the breaker and got a spray bottle to spray water on the point just before the arcing to kill the heat. Very dangerous. If I wasn't here, I don't know what my wife and 2 kids would have done, or how bad this could have gotten. I have never seen an oven do this before.

d0ece4d8, 2008-05-08, 07:55PM CDT

The same thing just happened to me tonight. It looked just as you described it and would not go out until I unplugged the unit. This is dangerous and I saw where others have had the same issues. Has anyone reported to GE and with any luck for a possible recall here? Please let me know. Thanks

c4af3c69, 2008-07-22, 04:58PM CDT

I too have a GE Spectra oven and experienced very similiar problems as aforementioned. I was baking at 375 degrees and noticed a very bright white light and intially thought it was food on the coil. After removing the food, turning off the oven, using water and baking soda to distinguish the coil, it did not work. My husband called the fire department and after unplugging the unit, the light faded and cooled. It was very obvious the coil had "burned" due to an electrical problem. Thankfully it did not lead to a litchen fire!

c4af3c69, 2008-07-22, 05:15PM CDT

I too have a GE Spectra oven and experienced very similiar problems as aforementioned. I was baking at 375 degrees and noticed a very bright white light and intially thought it was food on the coil. After removing the food, turning off the oven, using water and baking soda to distinguish the coil, it did not work. My husband called the fire department and after unplugging the unit, the light faded and cooled. It was very obvious the coil had "burned" due to an electrical problem. Thankfully it did not lead to a kitchen fire!

815d4c9c, 2008-08-19, 08:54PM CDT

Just had the same thing (element burnout) happen to us tonight. Fortunately, the breaker tripped before the entire range could catch fire. glass top units still work but the oven heating element is burned in half.

Is there a recall on these? If not, should be.

54576eff, 2008-09-28, 11:35AM CDT

Last night same thing. I turned on the broiler and while in the kitchen noticed a very bright light emitting from the oven. I looked inside and the broiler coil was on fire. It looked like a sparkler on the 4th of July. The flame burned itself around the coil like a sparkler would and turning it off did not help whatsoever.

The oven is 6 years old but not overly used. I've never heard of such a thing. I've had ovens that were decades old and still worked.

Can it be repaired? I don't even think I want to repair it. Are these coils sold by GE only or is this problem everywhere?

1b178f06, 2008-10-04, 12:39PM CDT

same thing happened to me as everyone else is describing. any recalls? GE planning on doing anything about this?

013e603b, 2008-10-17, 02:07PM CDT

This just happened to me as well. I turned off my oven and the "sparkler" kept on slowly going around the coil (heater element). I tried throwing water on it to no avail. I had to unplug the unit. I have contacted customer service including: on the phone, via email from their site & faxed them a letter as well. I will let you all know what I find out. Here was the correspondance I sent:

GE Spectra

Model #: J BP78D0D1CC

This is a very serious issue. My heating element burned like a sparkler on the 4th of July all the way around, very slowly. It was a very bright white light like a welder's arc. I've called several of you service phone numbers and nobody can do anything for me. There is no recall for this stove/oven. There are several people with the same issue. These are just the people that posted to this website: http://www.complaints.com/directory/2005/may/30/22.htm

There are probably thousands or tens of thousands more that this has happened too. I could fix this myself fairly easily only to fear it will happen again and perhaps burn my house down. If nothing happens in response to my submission, I will take you to court.

820dcd1b, 2008-10-17, 07:22PM CDT

THis happend to us as well tonight - exactlly as everyone has described. What is the answer what have you all done?

edb72110, 2008-10-21, 08:34PM CDT

My Spectra JBP26 is just shy of 7 years old and I've never had a problem with it. About a month ago I was broiling salmon and heard a popping noise and saw a small flame, thought it was oil on the coil from the fish cooking ... wrong ... it happened again so I shut off the oven. Luckily that stopped it.

I had to finish my salmon in the microwave ... yuck ... was afraid to use the stove top at that point.

Does anyone know if there is a recall? I haven't been able to find anything.

0391c651, 2008-10-27, 04:34PM CDT

hi,we have 2yr old GE spectra and the front burner started coming on on its own!!! only way to tur off is to unplug unit!

was looking into getting fixed but after reading all of the complaints im not sure if this unit is safe.

any recalls?

e5042f56, 2008-11-05, 05:51PM CST

Just had the coil on my JBP82 GE Spectra burn up. Could not get it out with the fire extinguisher actully calle the Fire Department. It did finally go out. Fireman said he never saw anything like this before but from the sounds of this forum it happens often.

When I questioned what if this would happen when I was gone the man at the store said nobody ever leaves the stove on when they go away. What about the timer I asked. He said nobody ever uses the timers. Really, I do. Maybe not anymore. I am going to contact GE and find out what they have to say. I have been cooking for 35 years and have NEVER seen this happen before.

67015966, 2008-11-08, 03:54PM CST

This just happened to me also. I turned on the oven to pre-heat, put cookies in when heated. I had noticed a brighter red area (less than 1 inch area on element) and was concerned. The oven was clean, nothing on the element. Within a couple of mins after preheat, I checked and saw a bright light inside. the element was burning with a white flame, and sparking/arcing. I turned off the unit, and the flame continued to travel through the element. I was worried what would happen when it reached the end. Being electrical, I wasn't sure what to do, but realised I needed to cut the power at the fusebox. That put it out. I will be calling GE because this looks like it happens alot...

a7565937, 2008-11-14, 09:49AM CST

ME TOO!! We were only broiling some burgers ( a noraml enough dish) and suddenly a bright light from the coil lit up the oven and before you know it, it was flaming, had to PULL THE PLUG OUT because turning it off was not enough....what's up with this piece of expensive crap?? Anyone contact GE or know if they are going to own up to this?? I shudder to think what could have happened if my 13 yr old was just heating a pizza in my absence......GE should TAKE RESPONSIBLITY and offer their customers some kind of compensation.....but then again, this is corporate America, maybe we should all write to Obama.....

db71a8e3, 2008-11-16, 09:31AM CST

We have a GE Spectra JBP66 about 9 years old. My wife happened to be up a 1:00 am. She was not cooking and the stove was off. She heard a sparking noice and saw flames coming from back of the stove. All the dials were off. The upper element (broiler) was on. She went to the circuit breaker and turned it off. This stopped the sparking and the fire stopped. Thank the Lord she was up. I tried contacting GE but they are closed today (Sunday). From the string of comments this is a very dangerous product.

6abde457, 2008-11-26, 05:12PM CST

Yesterday, we had the same issue- area seemed to be burning brighter than the majority of the coil- then, it started sparking and caught fire. We turned off the oven, and extinguished with a fire extinguisher

Today- went to use my oven and it will not heat- is "lukewarm" at best.

Is GE going to fix this?!

3e0352e8, 2008-11-30, 01:49AM CST

I have a GE spectra also, about 2 yrs old. Every burner has literally fallen apart, as they are very cheap. The burner INSIDE the oven, on the base of it, caught on fire for no reason and broke! I had to replace that. I have had to replace 2 burners, and the third one when I went to replace it, discovered that the connection WAS MELTED!! I wondered why I had been getting shocks for a while, I thought it was just static/metal, etc, but now I see that it is the burner connection. As a result, I have only had use of 3 burners (instead of the 4 i paid for!) for a while now.. Tonight, I just tried to turn on the only large burner left, and wondered why the food didnt get hot.. well, the burner won't turn on now! THis is the worst oven I have ever had. I won't trust GE again because this is a definite fire hazard.

ba7ca79d, 2008-11-30, 10:28AM CST

This is really scary! I had a babysitter who was making cookies for the kids. She called me and indicated that there was a very bright light coming from the stove and it looked like a sparkler - even while the oven was OFF!! Upon returning home the entire coil unit is fried and of course only half of it is there. I am not even bother getting it fixed. I am getting a new one.

38dec2e4, 2008-12-09, 03:10PM CST

Same thing happened to my oven: Model GE JBP78 freestanding range, purchased in 2000. It looks fairly common from what I have seen on the web.

When I noticed light coming from the oven I saw that one small area of the baking coil/element (coil was fairly clean) started to spark/arc and there was a very bright small flame. The flame then started travelling along the coil. I got the extinguisher ready and shut off the oven. But the flame didn't stop, it travelled another few inches as I wondered how that was possible. It wasn't just a flame, it was sparking. Next I turned off the breaker and it went out immediately. Interesting. The whole process was only about a minute, but, when I inspected the coil I realized it must of been going on for longer before I noticed: The coil was broken in two places. Didn't call the FD since it seems under control after cutting power.

Found the replacement part for this particular model repairclinic.com. A few other websites have it as well. Make sure you are getting the right heating element for the exact model number. One thing about GE, for my model, there is a zero in the model number which none of the websites (or GE) use anymore. My full model number: JBP78A0B2AA. (By the way, for this model, model & serial numbers can be found on the left inside the botom drawer of the oven.) Part was $50. Couple screws replace it. Pretty simple.

GE said there was no recall on this particular model, and I made a complaint. My two issues were:

1. The element was fairly clean and only 8 years old. (Maybe that's ancient with today's applicances...)

2. The element kept burning even when the oven was off, only turning the breaker off stopped it. It seems dangerous even though the oven has a firewall (and perhaps other safety mechanisms that I don't know of).

There are a lot of posts about this of late on the Internet. Interesting that more posts appear right after Thanksgiving.

Safety: I see a lot of posts with people stating that they put flour on the fire. VERY BAD!!! Let's spread the word now... Flour is flammable, not only that, it can explode if there is a lot of it. Baking soda is the right stuff for small fires (supposedly even electrical ones), but regardless, you really need a decent fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Not the cheap plastic ones. Get a real extinguisher from a fire prevention company and have it checked every year (They tag the extinguisher to show that it passed).

f5e81df6, 2008-12-10, 04:52PM CST

Same issue with my JBP78 model. The element did not stop burning like a sparkler until I flipped the breaker off.

I called the GE consumer line and got a case number as a safety issue. The person scheduled a service call no charge. The service guy showed up today and told me that it was not unusual for the elements to burn out like that. He said they may break off a stop burning or burn until it gets to where it connects in the back of the oven and stop. He did not seem concerned and I paid him for the replacement part.

I checked my manual and it said nothing about the element burning out like that. I would like to see some kind of notice to the consumer so they are prepared if it should happen.

aef4ac88, 2008-12-20, 06:31PM CST

I had the same thing happen to me this evening. Oven is about 8 years old. I turned the oven onto preheat. When I opened the oven to put the food in there was a spark. The fire continued to move around the element, like a welders' arc. About 3 inches fell off but it continued to burn... about 10 - 12 inches burned before it stopped. I question the safety of the stove if I get it fixed. Won't be able to get resolution for a couple days, Saturday evening after Service Center hours... wonder if we will have a oven for Christmas!

b1331c53, 2009-01-12, 07:28AM CST

The same thing happened to our spectra range. The range is about 5 years old. Christmas eve my oldest daughter was baking french fries and the oven coil just started arching. I turned the oven off but the flame kept traveling around the element, until we pulled the circuit breaker. We haven't got it fixed -its kind of a bummer.

6014e94d, 2009-01-13, 07:14PM CST

Yestreday we had our JBP26B range magically turn on the broiler while baking cookies. fortunately, the cookies were the ony victims. The broiler that started automatically, would not turn off. Our range is 10 years old, but this sounds like an issue that was reported at least 5 years ago. I hope GE did not limit the re-call to save more...Sorry, that would never be the case. Be warned, it appears if you have an older GE range, it could result in a visit from the fire department!!

15629ed7, 2009-02-22, 11:36AM CST

Alas, same story. Fire started at one end of the element and continued 3/4 of the way to the other when my wife put it out with baking soda. Turning off the stove did nothing to stop the fire. Can someone say "Class action"? I am amazed if there hasn't been an injury or house fire from this. The stove is probably 5 or 6 years old, but this is definitely a design flaw, a dangerous design flaw.

0cf4e9c7, 2009-08-30, 11:30AM CDT

have exactly the same story. Coil started fire and did not stop until fell off. Will look for part, but it looks like GE need to look at it. It would be nice if they would compensate me for coil. My ranger is 6 years old, but it is in my summer house, meaning it used may be 5 % from regular use.

1c0696ca, 2009-12-24, 11:10AM CST

I have a GE spectra 9 years old. Model JPB24. Last night I was preheating a warm oven for caramel corn (200) and about a minute after putting the food in, we heard the strangest noise. It sounded like those star wars sound effects from the light sabers,(at least the kids thought so) I noticed a bright light thru the window and we were freaking out. The light seemed blueish to me. But that part's not important. That went on for a minute and then the breaker to the oven blew, and smoke was pouring out of the top vent. I didn't want to open the oven, so maybe that's why the fire stopped as soon as it did? When everything calmed down my husband threw the breaker back on and the clock worked and the top burners worked. I turned on the oven just to see (stupid, I know) and noticed that one end of the bake element had burned off from the back. It glowed reddish orange for hours even though there was no fire. My question is, do we replace this element and try again or replace the oven? This has been an excellent range for us and we use it all the time. It kept perfect temperatures and baked evenly,unlike others I have used. I called the 800 number that was on the stove unit and they gave me a part number for the new element. 75.00 including shipping. She said it wasn't in any recalls, but gave me the consumer relations dept number. She was very friendly.

a4ad96e4, 2009-12-27, 01:32PM CST

My Ge Spectra aprx. 4 yrs old. ruined christmas dinner. The top got regular use with no problems. The oven which was used very few times..another story. After placing the Turkey in the oven @ 325 for two hours I opened the door to baste and the curved potion of the element was glowing bright orange & white then started sparking and flaming..I will be contacting GE. I won't bother replacing the element..using this stoves oven again is not worth burning My House Down. The only way to stop the flames & sparking was to turn off power @ the breaker box.BAH HUMBUG on this model.

455614d2, 2010-01-02, 09:25PM CST

I also have the JBP78 and I was heating the oven yesterday (1/1/10) when I heard a strange sound. I was on the phone and looked over to my range and was like, "how did the light get on??" So I turned the light "off" and realized that it wasn't on so I opened the stove to find the upper heating element glowing orange and sparking like one of those silver stick sparklers. There were sparks flying everywhere and when one jumped out of the stove I closed the door. I ran and got my video camera and tried to record what was going on. My sister-in-law was on the phone while I was tripping out. She told me to pull the plug but for some reason I couldn't find the plug. Not only that, my breakers aren't tagged so I had no idea which one would turn it off. The "fire" continued around just one half of the element and then stopped when it made it's way around to the back. I am going to try to replace it since I really don't feel like replacing the entire unit. Everything else (including the lower element) still work. But this has got to be some kind of safety hazard but unfortunately until it causes serious injury GE probably won't recall the units!!

5a8c7a0a, 2010-01-03, 06:32PM CST

i also have a GE spectra oven, 4 yrs old.. same story with me, was making pizza and coil started to glow white hot, then burst into sparks and burned like a fire cracker fuse all the way around the coil, i turned the oven off from dial on stove top to no avail, turned main power off and finally the sparks stopped, was kind of scary not to mention the toxic fumes that billowed out of the stove, i would advise anyone looking to purchase this oven to look else where.. this GE product is not safe

86b456af, 2010-01-10, 10:04AM CST

The aame thing happened to our GE Spectra this morning. The bottom element started sparking and a white-hot arc moved around the length of the element until it reached a 4" piece that burned and dropped off. This is unacceptable and dangerous!

539e66fd, 2010-01-10, 01:57PM CST

omg!!!this happened to me this morning while allowing it to heat up now the whole top stove will not come on...i have a headache from this.even after unplugging it and cutting the power it still burned.is there a recall on this ?

de9b632e, 2010-01-22, 01:25PM CST

This also SCARED THE SHIT out of me too! Same situation. Apparently, the white-hot burning of the oven element is a safety feature. Once the rod burns completely through it cuts the flow of electricity and stops any other damage. I would think there is a better way to do this with minimal increased cost to the system. For $1400, I don't expect my oven catching fire is a safety feature. Can we please get back to creating HIGH QUALITY products and stop savings nickles and dimes with piss poor quality. Stoves should last 1000 years.

204fdc84, 2010-03-21, 12:04PM CDT

this just happened to my oven as well not fun

8ecedcac, 2010-04-30, 01:04PM CDT

my ge spectra just lit up with the upper oven coil dripping metal onto the food.

6a901aa2, 2010-05-08, 07:35PM CDT

I have the same stove and the element cooked itself in half. I put the fire out by pulling the stove out of it foyer area and unplugging it. Imagine if this was a senoir citizen which does not have the strngth. It would have been listed as a regular fire caused by some unkown problem but not oven related.

f5744532, 2010-05-28, 03:22PM CDT

My Spectra is about 9 years old... same thing last night when I turned it on to pre-heat. The bottom oven element sparked and began burning bright hot white then started on fire. I wouldn't have known it except that my dog ran to find me and warned me that something was wrong. I yanked the oven out and unplugged it. That stopped the fire, not even turning the oven off stopped it.

I'll use it again, but I need to get a new bottom element. Any idea how much they cost?

a1d18aef, 2010-06-18, 11:49PM CDT

This must be a very dangerous product. We have a Ge spectra model JBP8. I was done cooking the knobs were turned off, as I was cleaning the counters I heard something pop then smoke started coming out of the back of the stove. The front burner turned on even if the knob is off. My husband pulled the plug to stop the fire. I will write a complaint directly to GE.

d557df6a, 2010-06-26, 09:38PM CDT

We have a GE Spectra that's approximately 6 years old. My wife preheated the oven and fortunately checked it shortly afterwards to find the oven on fire. The bottom element was on fire. We unplugged the stove and cut the power. The element appeared to have burned through and broke. This is an unacceptable hazard. Thankfully my wife was near the stove and prevented a house fire. I will never purchase a GE product again.

4a7f4096, 2010-07-30, 07:42AM CDT

July 2010

Our GE Spectra Stove oven heating coil decided to go up like a 4th of July Sparkler last night. The interior of the stove was spotless (my wife is a clean freak). It'll be about $50 for the coil and $50 for labor, so fixing it is cheaper than buying a new stove.

b4758089, 2010-08-26, 05:05PM CDT

The same thing happened to us tonight. I was heating the oven up for Pizza and thankfully noticed a bight light in the oven. We thought something must of spilled but then looked and the coil was in half and burning it's way around the element. We had to turn the breaker off to stop it!!! I am contacting GE tonight!

5f8bfa98, 2010-08-31, 08:04PM CDT

Is there a recall on these? Did you have to buy a new stove my took a dump tonight coil was on fire.

12487eb6, 2010-09-28, 06:54PM CDT

I have the GE Spectra too for 6 yrs w/o problems.1 month ago was baking and It would not heat. Took the food out, turned oven off & the sparks flew....I was horrified, sparks like the 4th of July. Never seen anything like it in an oven before.Threw the breaker is the only way to slow it down.It finally burned out Thank God. I can't believe there wasn't a recall on this.Ihave all GE appliances when we built this house 6 years ago and I already had to replace the washer with a Kenmore after 3yrs.GE isn't the company or quality it use to be.That makes me sad!!!!!

2dff3649, 2010-10-17, 04:06PM CDT

To those that believe getting a new coil is the solution---STOP!

In Sept. 2002, I bought a GE Spectra from Best Buy.....In 2005, I bought a replacement igniter and coil from GE---and and paid nearly $125! Last week, Oct. 9, 2010, I baked a pot roast. On Oct. 10, 2010, the oven would not light up---gas--ONCE AGAIN, I will have to replace the igniter and the coil....Although I did not see the 'fire'...yesterday, my brother the electrician, showed me the proof!!!!! when he THOUGHT maybe he could fix it!

IF I spend the money on this next repair, I will have paid too much money, for this stove. Trust me, however, GE having gone to the dogs in 'quality', has swayed my decision to buy another brand---

The stove we replaced in 2002, was 25 or so years old....purchased by my parents---that ugly green color--and still working.

69d15f19, 2010-12-22, 09:58PM CST

I had the same thing happen last night. Coil sparked and burned out in fire. We had to use a fire extinguisher to put it out (no time for fuse box with a small baby) and the fire department came. GE needs to recall this what a unacceptable and dangerous situation.

9e23a38d, 2010-12-26, 07:14AM CST

WOW this is unbelievable!.I have a Spectra Oven,and it was sparking on left side,then on fire!The fire burnt the element in half. I was preheating the oven at the time,thank goodness!I cut off the oven,and it died down.

My Christmas dinner was ruined.Amazing my house didn't burn down.

I am reading all of these comments,and wondering why there was no recall.

2fa5fcfc, 2011-02-09, 01:46PM CST

MY SPECTRA JUST BIT THE DUST LAST NIGHT FEB. 8 2011. THE COIL ON THE BOTTOM LOOKED LIKE MY HUSBAND WAS WELDING ON IT. IT WAS HARD TO LOOK AT DUE TO IT BEING SO BRIGHT. I HAD OPENED THE DOOR AND THERE WAS AN ODOR THAT BURNT MY EYES,WHAT IS IN THE ELEMENT AND CAN IT BE HARMFUL? I AM OK TODAY. I WILL CHECK ONLINE TO SEE WHERE AND HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST ME TO FIX. YOURS TRULY

0468906e, 2011-02-21, 09:37PM CST

21 FEB 2011

Same exact thing happened to me today !!

- scared the crap out of us, almost had tto call the Fire Dept. Only way to get it to stop was to pop the breaker.

Many time's with these type oven's it will only "partially" trip the breaker.

5b161cfc, 2011-04-06, 09:27PM CDT

i had the very thing happen last night 4-5-11. this oven is about 10 years old, wasnt suprised that the coil could quite, but when it went up in flames i was shocked. i got it out, but not till i unplugged the range. water and baking soda would not put it out. If we were not in the room it could of been a major fire.

c37b7538, 2011-04-08, 04:24PM CDT

I had the very same thing with the broiler coil.....2 years ago, then last night it started on fire with the coil falling everywhere. This is so dangerous and GE doesn't put a recall on it......never by GE

05d36a60, 2011-06-17, 08:34PM CDT

Same here... Was pre heating to make some biscuits. Sparks started flying and I had to unplug it. Crazy!

e88e5157, 2011-07-30, 04:15PM CDT

Same things happened to my wife just now as everyone else. Preheating the oven and the coil started sparking then went white hot and started burning around like a sparkler. Thanks to everyone else's post, I stopped it by unplugging it

5aec1d8e, 2011-08-11, 08:09PM CDT

I have a GE Spectra about 4 years old. The heating coil caught fire while cooking a covered dish of potatoes and squash! It looked like a torch burning at the front left of the oven. The fire slowly moved towards the back of the oven. My husband poured water on it until it went out. After about 20 minutes of cooling, we opened the oven to find the element snapped in half in the front. I have never had this happen before and am terrified of ever turning it on, even if we replace the element.

94c1cba0, 2011-09-03, 06:03PM CDT

Have never had an electric over before. My wife turned on over and the element just started sparking. Luckly we caught it soon enough. Fire went out when turned stove off. Can't believe these ovens have not been recalled. I am going to replace the part myself but very upset.

d2ff8844, 2011-10-03, 08:25AM CDT

My GE Spectra - less than 6 years old, did the same thing last night. Put in bread to toast. Turned on the Broil Units - worse than 4th of July fireworks. I turned off the unit, the sparks would not subside. I then unplugged the unit to no avail. The element continued to spark and flame, actually got much worse until I was able to grab the fire extinguisher and use it! This fire started almost immediately after turning the Broiler on. Thank heavens I was still in the kitchen. Could have very well burned the house down! I also DO NOT TRUST this appliance any longer.

I just got off the phone with GE Customer service to find out if there in NOW a recall on the stove. I was treated very rudely by the Customer Service Rep. She informed me that the appliance was out of warranty - that it only had a 1 year warranty to begin with.I once again asked about a recall, she informed me there was no recall and her only suggestion was that they could schedule a technician to come out and repair the stove/oven. Told her "No thanks! This unit will NOT stay in my home. And furthermore, I will be filing a complaint with The Better Business Bureau." BUYERS BEWARE!!!

36ed7879, 2011-10-20, 07:00PM CDT

me too! 10/20/11 Had this oven since '02 have used it regularly (5 or 6 times a week) Can the element be replaced?

1325d4d4, 2011-10-23, 12:18AM CDT

I just bought a house with a GE spectra electric range. I have been in the home for 2 weeks and yesterday while using the oven the heating element began sparking and caught on fire. I immediately turned the oven off and waited a minute hoping it would just burn itself out, but it continued to grow larger in size to the point that I felt I needed to do something. I also ended up using my fire extinguisher to put out the flames. VERY scary! And disturbing reading all these similar stories and seeing that GE has done nothing about it!!

4eda0d7c, 2012-01-04, 05:02PM CST

I have a ge sprectra electric range that just caught on fire maybe an hour ago. Turning the oven off would not stop the fire, but after unplugging it, it finally went out. There definitely has to be a safety issue with this product.

74883310, 2012-03-03, 07:23PM CST

Wow, the same thing JUST happened to me. My Spectra is maybe 7 years old, the coil went up like a firecracker. Very scary!

19848819, 2012-03-05, 08:04AM CST

My GE Spectra is only 6-7 years old and it had this same problem. I was taking something out of the oven and there was a sizzle sound and then a pop and the coil was on fire. Is this problem being covered by GE? I didn't expect to replace my oven this soon?

faba1d9d, 2012-03-24, 01:57AM CDT

My GE Spectra JBP68 (about 8 years old) did the same thing during Thanksgiving dinner. My little boy looked over and said "mommy the ovens on fire"...I shut it off but the bottom heating element coil kept on sparking with flames, smoke and the really bright light. It ended up burning the complete coil all the way around and thru it. It fell apart into multiple pieces throughout. I haven't opened the oven as yet, I want to leave the "mess" undisturbed for evidence. I feel GE should be responsible for the replacement of this in the form of a settlement check because I won't let them give me a comparable one I won't let them replace it with another one of their brands! I should also be reimbursed for the toaster oven I had to go out and buy so I could have some sort of oven to use in the mean time. This is very dangerous. This should NOT have happened either in warranty or out of warranty. No warnings were given in the manual nor has GE made anybody aware that this can happen, or what to do if it does. Had I not been home or in our backyard or whatever, our home would have burnt down. I don't trust it anymore and don't even want it fixed...it's not worth risking our lives or our home. I will never buy a GE brand again. It needs to be placed on recall and a "Class Action Lawsuit" needs to be brought against GE. Please feel free to email me. I'm still boiling mad.

faba1d9d, 2012-03-24, 02:03AM CDT

309acbe3, 2012-04-08, 05:59PM CDT

The same thing happend to us during Easter Dinner. I had just taken the ham out of the oven and turned it up to put in some potatoes and the coil started arching and caught on fire. I don't trust the oven anymore, but my husband just wants to replace the coil The oven is 10 years old.

5b649912, 2012-04-15, 09:51AM CDT

I have a disfunctional GE Spectra stove that is also defective. While it has yet to catch fire the oven is a joke. I replaced the control panel at a cost of about $300 because it would not hold a temperature. Now after light use it won't bake at all. It is very difficult to cook a cake when all your oven will do is broil. Don't buy this stove it is junk

661e9f0d, 2012-05-01, 12:46PM CDT

I just put the fire out in our oven it sounded like some one poured water on something hot i ran into the kitchen to find my oven on fire our stove is on 3 yr's old and never should have done this not only is it dangerous but the smell is horrible please be vey careful when using this stove

49cbe82d, 2012-12-12, 06:46PM CST

I was having a lot of trouble with my GE Spectra oven suddenly and thought it was off could it be possible that the heavy plastic sheet that I put on the bottom to keep clean have caused this problem. I have never had a problem before and after reading comments I was really worried something was going to set fire. I removed the sheet and set to 250 and guage I had set in oven to check temp now match the oven. Any comment

lin w., 2012-12-19, 06:08AM CST

i got a GE Spectra will not have one if GE gave me another one this oven is no good.Minds caught fire to oven light dont work.I can see why they dont make it anymore.Was not please with it at all.

c3ec1d2d, 2013-01-18, 10:02AM CST

I have always been a strong beleiver in the quality of GE made appliances. I bought a Spectra oven from Best Buy about 8 - 10 years ago. The oven was being used to broil a pork chop and the coil caught fire last night. No damage to the house but the fire department was called to extinguish the oven blaze. This product is dangerous and I will be buying a new oven because I'm fearful the next time the coil ignites will result in the house burning down. I will not be buying a GE appliance.

1958d450, 2013-03-20, 01:19AM CDT

My spectra stove also caught fire and did not trip the breaker needed to be unplugged before the fire went out bought a coil replacement (non returnable 50 bucks) only to find out it shorted out the control panel... is there a recall?

Connie H., 2013-04-27, 05:26PM CDT

This very thing happened to us late this afternoon!! The oven had been in use for a couple hours. The element arced and slowly blazed like a fuse burning. A neighbor was able to pull the oven out to unplug it since I was home alone. The fire would not stop burning even when the oven was turned off. With all these same complaints for years, why isn't there a recall on this appliance??? I don't even trust repairing this appliance and will probably not purchase a GE model to replace it either.

94ca9d1b, 2013-09-29, 08:20AM CDT

This just happened to us. GE Profile Spectra model number JBP90T0F1WW.

My mother was watching the kids while I was at work. They had to put it out with a fire extinguisher!

Where's the recall on this GE model? Are they waiting for someone's house to burn down and lives to be lost?

Elizabeth O., 2013-12-16, 08:08PM CST

The exact same thing happened to us this evening, the oven was also in use for about 30 minutes and then an hour later was turned back on for backing when the lower coil caught fire and disintegrated. Had to use the fire extinguisher to put out the fire, what a mess! Spectra Model JBP80T0F2WW.

Based on all these comments I will not fix this and will replace with a new none GE product.

63409235, 2014-03-07, 04:48PM CST

Just had the same exact thing happen with our GE Spectra. Bottom heating element made popping noises and sparked, not like a flame but like a sparkler that you would have on the 4th of July. It burned completely around the heating element before finally going out. We still use the oven, but it takes about 45mins to preheat the oven to a temperature. Really sucks that nothing has be done about this by the company by now!

John J., 2014-04-05, 02:32PM CDT

Same problem with the bottom element, had to turn off circuit breaker before it would go out. Will not fix the oven as there is probably something more wrong than just a burned out element. Good thing I was home, otherwise would have probably lost the house. Our model # is J BP82T0F1WW

Carolyn M., 2014-05-24, 12:56PM CDT

Same thing just happened to me. My GE Spectra range was purchased in 2002,I haven't had too many issues with this range, but I was not looking to buy new one. I was self cleaning my oven and it started doing fireworks like the fourth of July. I will call GE on Monday!

Christian N., 2014-07-15, 02:14PM CDT

I was baking cookies when I noticed what looked like a flame through glass of oven door, When I checked I saw that the heating coil was on fire and sparking! Shut stove off but still continued to burn and spark. Husband had to hit circuit breaker to stop the burning! The heating coil burnt a 2 inch section! Looking for a new stove and it won't be another one of these!

ce68d9f4, 2014-07-25, 07:27PM CDT

same thing happened to our GE oven. Lower element caught on fire and sparking and smoking. Turning off the control knob had no impact. Tried baking soda and that did not help. Finally pulled out stove from wall and unplugged and it went out.

I am concerned the switch or perhaps thermostat associated with switch is defective so I do not want to just replace the burned out element.

Did anyone in this forum get any satisfaction from GE? Does any one know WHY these failures occur?