180 Search Assistant / Zango

Posted on Wednesday, May 25th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 270380c6

Company: 180 Search Assistant / Zango

180 Search Assistant / Zango

Hi, Perry Fowler here.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been struggling with a pop-up advertising Zango messenger. This is a product marketed by 180seach Assistant.com. I have no idea how this got onto my computer; I did not download it from any site it, nor was I asked if I wanted it on my hard disk.

I have made several attempts to locate and remove it from my system, but it hasn't turned up on any of my seaches. I have gone through my Program Files folder with a fine-tooth comb, can find no trace of it. I have also tried to restore my sytem to an earlier date (normally the most effective way to deal with this kind of problem), but I can't get rid of this thing, no matter what I do.

As a last resort, I contacted the 180search company asking how to remove it from my computer, but they sent me an automated response which was utterly useless - ie, it did not even address the problem.

This pop-up is more than just annoying; it is interfering with the normal functioning of my computer, particularly when I am logged into MSN or Yahoo. And although I can't be certain, I suspect it is using my various email accounts to distribute copies of itself.

I would like advice on this situation. Has any one else suffered similar problems? Under existing laws, does 180search Assistant.com have the right to install unwanted and potentially damaging softwear without the user's permission? Can I take legal action against 180search Assistant.com? What consumer affairs groups should I contact in regards to this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,