1992 Toyota 4Runner

Posted on Thursday, March 10th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by d4b204bf

Company: 1992 Toyota 4Runner

1992 Toyota 4Runner

My 1992 Toyota 4Runner spontaneously combusted on Jan. 14th 2005, just three weeks after being in a Toyota dealership service center. The fire investigation has determined that the fire started in the dashboard behind the heating system and that it was due to an electrical short and/or failure. There had been complaints as early as Sept 29th 1997 with the US Department of Transportation NHTSA ie http://www.nhtaa.dot.gov.

I immediately contacted Toyota Motor Sales, USA, Inc. the day after the fire -- they ignored my calls, failed to send anyone to come out and look at the 4Runner, advised me to "send them all the documentation" and then said they didn't believe they had any liability ( apparently all autos should burst into flames in a few years time -- this is perfectly normal and acceptable) My case # is known as 2005-01/21-0669.

They have also refused to furnish any information as to how many fires of this type have been reported to them. I barely had time to pull over. Someone with a little power and authority needs to jump on this. At some point some small child is going to get very badly injured -- it shouldn't take that to get someones attention. Carol Hardgrave is the legal supervisor who at this point refuses to return calls. Her direct # is 310-468-50ss. I can be contacted at the below email address.

kristi Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_73830# Consumer