Robert Michael Sofa

Posted on Thursday, June 16th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 3742aab3

Company: Robert Michael Sofa

Robert Michael Sofa

PS I just discovered the original tag off of the sofa. It clearly indicates that there is a "minimum 1.8 lb. inner foam core."

Subject: Robert Michael Sofa

To Whom It May Concern: In June of 2004 I purchased a two-piece sofa from Levitz in Tacoma, Washington. It cost $1709.00. It was delivered on June 16, 2004. The order number is 15314VTOEHI. For me, $1700.00 is a major amount of money. It is more than I have ever spent on a single piece of furniture in my life, and I am now 61 years old. I initially thought that I loved the sofa. However, after the first of the year, and after I had paid for it in full, I became increasingly dissatisfied as it became obvious to me that the cushions were not holding their shape; the sofa was losing the usual straight line across the front of the cushions. This was of particular concern to me because the sofa is in my living room where appearance is important. I initially moved the cushions around so that the one or two that were where I most often sat were placed in the least used spot and vice versa. Unfortunately, the cushions cannot be turned to bring the back to the front because of a wide seam at the back of them. Moving the cushions temporarily helped but did not resolve the problem. In May I realized I was deeply dismayed at having "wasted" $1700 dollars. Since I was still within the 1 year satisfaction guarantee, on May 23, 2005, I went into the store where I purchased the sofa. I was told no one there, even the manager, could help me. I was referred to the customer service number. On May 24, 2005, I called customer service. They arranged to send a technician to evaluate the situation. A man named Mark from U.S. Quality Furniture visited my home on June 2, 2005. He said the sofa was "not designed to maintain the structure of the cushions - it was designed for comfort." The sofa cushions are stuffed with feathers without any structural support. He himself was able to unzip the cover on one cushion and manipulate the feather "pillow" in such a way as to reposition the cover over it. After he left I tried to do the same on another cushion. The cushions are both very large and heavy;unfortunately, I do not have the strength in my hands or arms to do what he was able to do. He did take pictures of sofa to demonstrate the now misshapen front edge. The technician had advised that I would hear from Levitz in about a week. I waited 13 days. Having heard nothing, I called Levitz customer service again today for the purpose of inquiring about the status on my complaint. I was on hold for 15 minutes before a customer service representative answered. He did not offer his name. I perceived him as abrupt and said so. He apologized. Ultimately, he advised me the technician's report indicated that everything was "normal" and there was nothing more he could do. I asked to speak with someone who could do something. He transferred me. It turned out that he transferred me to the Levitz store where I had purchased the sofa. I ended up speaking with a man named Ron, who was possibly the salesman from whom I purchased the sofa to begin with. He quickly assured me he was powerless, that only Levitz Customer Service could do anything about my concern. So I began over and called Customer Service again. This time I was on hold for 10 minutes before a customer service representative answered. His name was Patrick, and he was initially friendly. That lasted until he, too, said there was nothing anyone could do and I said that wasn't good enough. He then began to blame me for not comprehending up front what the feather cushions were unlikely to hold their shape and for not coming back to Levitz sooner. In fact, he became very insistent that I was in the wrong. When I asked to speak with a manager, he became more insistent about there being nothing Levitz could do and the fact that I was responsible for my own problem. Ultimately, he agreed to transfer me to a manager. I asked for the name of the person. He said there were several managers and he had no idea who I would get. I was on hold for another 10 minutes before I hung up. I am appalled at Levitz customer service. I appreciate that there is some truth to the contention that I should have been a smarter buyer up front. I also think there might be a case for expecting that the salesman should have known the product well enough to caution me up front about the kind of wear to expect on the cushions. He didn't. I think it is also valid to wonder why I didn't come back sooner with my dissatisfaction. Quite frankly, it didn't occur to me. I like the sofa immensely in other ways, and I wanted to make it work. I finally realized I can't. The first person who spoke with me asked me what it was that I wanted. I said I wanted credit toward another sofa that I would be willing to purchase at Levitz. That's when he transferred me back to the store. The fact is that there are only two adults in my home, my 29 year old daughter and me. She isn't comfortable on the sofa and rarely sits on it. The sofa has had little wear over the course of the year. It came with a lifetime manufacturer's warranty. What would it hurt Levitz to offer me 80% of the original value back on a trade-in? I would rave about your customer service, refer my friends to you, and come back again myself. I am sending this to you because I myself am a higher level manager. When my customers are unhappy, I want to know about it. And when my staff don't appear to treat my customers well, it is a reflection on me and the culture I have established. I want to have an opportunity to turn the situation around. I am calling this matter to your attention in the small hope that you might be a person with some power to make a difference. I know that the line on the front cushions is probably an insignificant matter to a lot of people, but it is of significance to me. I will be interested in your response. Sincerely, anita Tacoma, Washington 98406

d81187e5, 2008-10-09, 04:21PM CDT

Well, I think I'm glad to read this. I have been looking at a Robert Michael sofa for quite a while. The cost has slowed my purchasing it down. It is also feather/down filled (Dahlia style). I am definitely reconsidering after reading your comments. It is unfortunate that sales people and managers are so quick to take our money and promise satisfaction, but rarely follow through with courteous customer service.

Have you considered selling your sofa?

7e733be1, 2009-06-12, 09:05PM CDT

MY HUSBAND AND I BOUGHT OUR SOFA OVER TWO YEARS AGO, AND I LOVE IT!! IT HAS HELD UP UNLIKE ANY OTHER SOFA. IT IS IN OUR MAIN TV ROOM AND USED PRACTICALLY 24/7. I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD, A FOURTEEN YEAR OLD AND TWO GREAT DANES WHO LOVE IT GET ON IT. IT CLEANS UP WITH JUST A WET TOWEL AND THE CUSHIONS ARE LIKE THE DAY I BOUGHT IT!!!

9f09b508, 2009-09-22, 07:34AM CDT

Helpful comments. I, too was considering a Robert Michael sofa. Except the cost I was quoted was $2500. I think I will stick with Norwalk furniture. I have one now. It is quality made and holds up well. Thanks for sharing your experience.

242ad103, 2010-02-22, 05:07PM CST

I too have purchased a Robert Michael sectional. It was a beautiful and comfortable sectional when we purchased it two and a half years ago ($2656.00 which is the most expensive piece of furniture I ahve ever purchased) The sofa has not held it's shape well. Same exact thing happened with the cushions. In addition, the feathers pierce through the fabric and poke you. Very uncomfortable, itchy, and hot. Recently, one of the supports for the frame popped out of the back. Robert Michael offers a 5-year warranty. Waiting to talk to Reeds furniture in Calabasas to correct the problem. I've been disappointed with my decision since the sectional was delivered with snags throughout the fabric. I would not recommend Robert Michael. CAUTION.

d0e1d124, 2010-03-13, 01:48PM CST

I just wanted to add something about the quality of Robert Michael products. I did quite a lot of research before I purchased my sectional about 5 years ago and I decided to go with a Robert Michael L-shaped 2 piece. What I found was that down cushions in general have a tendency to do what Anita has described here. I didn't purchase down filled cushions for that very reason. My sectional has foam (1.8 lb.) cushions and it has maintained its shape and comfort very well since I bought it.

I think this post was less about the quality of Robert Michaels furniture and more about bad salesmanship and poor customer service on the part of Levitz. Levitz has since gone out of business by the way, probably because of this kind of customer treatment and high prices (my sectional cost me $999 new).

3b1d4136, 2010-05-04, 12:44AM CDT

I just bought a Robert Michael couch, that was originally $1800 by itself. The salesman gave it to me for around $900 after I haggled him. I asked him specifically about the down getting clumped up or changing the shape of the cushion. He told me that I was to fluff the cushions every few months, 3 if it had a lot of use, in addition to turning them. Also, vacuum the cushions once a month because of the dust settling. I thought that having to do those extra things was worth it for the quality. But, I haven't broke it in yet. I just wanted to share this with anyone who wasn't aware of the care they were supposed to take when buying these couches. It does seem like a pain though if you're spending that much money. We will see.

bcda76fc, 2011-02-17, 05:05PM CST

Hi - I work for a retail store that sells Robert Michael, and I have been the business for several years. If you are looking to purchase a Robert Michael sofa, I would recommend NOT buying one that is filled with down/feathers. All that the reps and factory will tell you, is that down cushions are bought for comfort and not for the look. The down cushions do lose their shape, they are extremely hard to maintain, and they will end up looking droopy, and unattractive. I have had several customers purchase these down sofa's over the years, and almost all of them have not been happy. However, if you purchase a Robert Michael sofa that has regular filled cushions, you will be happy. Robert Michael has been in business for over 20 years, and they are extremely good quality! It is just the down/feather filled cushions, that people seem to be having problems with. Anyway - I just wanted to post, I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about purchasing a sofa... not just from Robert Michael, but from other manufacturers as well. Sorry to say it, but the feather cushions are not the way to go!

680c6eee, 2011-07-30, 02:07PM CDT

I have to agree I also purchased a Robert Michaels sofa at a cost of over $3000.00. It was the worst sofa I have ever purchased. It has been a year and a half and it is garbage, seems coming apart piping has come out in several places springs are broken, under layment has torn exposing wood. I have had $600.00 sofas hold up better. I would sell it but would feel guilty taking money for it. So this is about product quality and their's is crap. Forgot to say, I guess some people might like getting pecked to death by birds. Feathers were always coming out poking you. I have pictures if anyone is interested.

e5989f61, 2012-01-11, 03:58PM CST

For what it's worth I just did a lot of research on sofas as we purchased a sectional. It is a Robert Michael piece with down. We are using it in a theater room and comfort is the main goal, although we do want it to look nice. Not sure I would have gone with down in the living room. What I was told by several furniture people in different stores is that you must fluff the cushions at least once a week or you will not be happy. I am told by more than one source that if you don't fluff them at least that often the feathers will break up and it will look saggy and you will not be happy - but if you maintain it, it will look nice for many years. I hope that's the case! The warranty is only good on manufacture defects - like a bad frame or frayed seam, etc. I did get the information from someone reputable. Levitz really screwed up there and should have told the purchaser about the maintenance required - she is right, the cushions are big and depending on your stature it could be difficult to do.

ec2ca509, 2013-01-10, 02:29PM CST

I purchased a beautiful robert michael 3 piece sectional 2 years ago from furniture factory direct in tacoma, WA for $3017.00 total (delivery and taxes included). This was my dream couch and I was sooooo excited about it. It is the Del Mar couch and I was aware that it was filled with feathers and that the couch needed fluffing and extra TLC, but even treating this sectional like a king didn't help it hold its shape. Two of the cushions have ripped, but that is covered by the extra warranty i bought with furiniture factory direct. Unfortunately, the cushion warping isn't. From what I've read, it's going to be easier to have a professiinal re-stuff the cushions with foam than to actually recieve some real customer service. I absolutely LOVE my sectional otherwise, the frame and back cushions have held up great and still look great (with regular weekly fluffing). It's unfortunate sales people dont always reveal what youre getting into, but thats sales for ya. Its also unfortunate that Robert Michaels makes such beautiful sectionals with such crappy cushions!

cathy p., 2013-04-24, 09:43PM CDT

I recently purchased the Robert Michael, Scottsdale 3 piece sectional, from Shock's furniture (hometown furniture store.) I was so excited to get the sofa, I've had it for 3 weeks and I am already disappointed with the fabric. The fabric is bunched up on each cushion and is now starting to have a shiny effect. For the price I paid $2300.00 I was expecting a nice clean look and not a cheap messy look. I called Shock's furniture, they sent out the delivery guy to look at the fabric, and take photos of the cushions. He explained to me that it is the fabric I chose & all fabric is different. My thought on his comment was "DUH", I am aware of this, it is unacceptable. He told me that they will send the pictures to Robert Michael, and I should know in a week. His other comment was that this has happened before, and that Robert Michael did nothing about it. How disappointing is that! I wish I would of done my research on this Manufacture before I purchased the sofa. I definitely will not recommend purchasing sofa's made by Robert Michael Ltd. Very disappointed with the Sales person @ Shocks Home Furnishing's. Oh and BTW the cushions are crap!

Consumer C., 2013-06-06, 11:14PM CDT

MY EXPERIENCE with ROBERT MICHAEL CHAIR and AT HOME FURNITURE STORE who ordered the chair was basically a BAIT AND SWITCH. I already put down 50% (though in CA law states to only put down 10%) So right from start, AT HOME FURNITURE seems to be ordering and selling products in ways that contradict the CA Consumer law. I put down 50% 6 weeks ago approx. April 10, 2013. Delivery was on Sat. June 1. WRONG CHAIR, WRONG DESIGN. NO TAGS, NO INVOICE.

Delivery guys (in UNMARKED TRUCK!)(immediately upon my noticing WRONG CHAIR, WRONG DESIGN) telephoned AT HOME Salesperson, Nancy from whom I ordered the chair. But I was IN HORRIBLE DEBILITATING PAIN. I COULD NOT THINK STRAIGHT TO MAKE ANY DECISIONS (I could only make observations). I HAD EXPECTED the chair I ordered, to have the correct chair delivered, to pay remaining and they go. NEVER ANTICIPATED WRONG CHAIR, WRONG DESIGN! (I had telephoned Nancy (in late April, early May to ask if- to confirm if all was correct with the / about the order. to check, iterate order details as I knew them to be, & to confirm status. Nancy told me all was fine, "IT" "THE CHAIR" is "IN PRODUCTION." But NANACY DID NOT DID NOT confirm NAME OF MANUFACTURER, DESIGNE: TUB CHAIR with CHANNELS, THUS NO CONFIRMATION ABOUT style, design, order NUMBER # OR fabric #s. SHE ASSURED ME ALL WAS DONE, SHOULD HAVE IT SOON WITHIN THE 8 WEEKS. BUT WRITTEN PAPER STATEMENT SHE HAD GIVEN ME WAS UNLIKE ANY I HAD EVER SEEN. PLAIN YELLOW STIPED WITH ROBERT MICHAEL, SWIVEL CHAIR AND #9747 (since the page waa WITHOUT DETAILS so often provided for furniture purchases, I WROTE TUB CHAIR CHANNELS, AND THE FABRIC DESIGN, THE FABRIC COLOR, THE FABRIC CONTEN AND CLEANING CODE. Original PRICE, DOWN PAYMENT, SUBEQUENT PAYMENT DUE, AND THE DELIVERY CHARGE, and approx. delivery date. (and that April 9 for several days had a NO SALES TAX PURCHASES ad. I also wrote down the original price quoted, the down payment amount, the delivery charge, and what amounts and to whom the 2 checks were to be written UPON DELIVERY OF THE CHAIR I ORDERED.(ALL WAS QUOTED TO ME BY NANCEY) I ALSO NOTED THE DISCREPENCY BETWEEN THE 50% QUOTED THAT I WAS TO GIVE THEM AND THE AMOUNT THEY TOOK. I also wrote Nancy's name, her work days & hours,

I purchased "A" Robert Michael Swivel TUB Chair with CHANNELS from AT HOME Furniture in Modesto, CA. (Dale Rd) (This purchase was ONLY I made AFTER 8 MONTHS RESEARCH of chair types, Size of chair, the design, lines, fabrics etc. (DESIGN, STYLE SIZE, FABRIC COLOR and wearablity were KEY FACTORS in my decision to purchase.) DESIGN & SIZE WERE OF PRIMARY IMPORTANCE. CHAIR MUST COMPLIMENT MY SOFA & LIVING ROOM DEOORATION.

(Previously in January 2013 I had abominably bad/poor/delayed service, 2 weeks of non cooperation from a higher end store (SLATERS in Modesto re: Chair size and fabric etc. So I gave up for a while. But knew the specific details of what I needed. I knew enough to select proper size, design of chair. I'd know that when I saw it, I'd be able to select easily. Only having to borrow fabric swatches for the last part of decision.

So one day during errands I was near AT HOME Furniture store. (despite that all my previous furniture choices of many years ago were Ethan Allen, Drexel, Henredon etc) I went in looked seriously at 3 chairs. Narrowed selection to 2. Then soon down to Only the TUB CHAIR WITH CHANNELS was the PROPER DESIGN and PROPER SIZE (HEIGHT AND WIDTH) and had the Fabric I needed. (I USED VERY LITTLE OF NANCY'S TIME, DID MOST ALL OF SELECTIONS MYSELF, including narrowing down the chair and spent much time withe the FABRIC SWATCHS. Nancy rolled over swatches. I did all myself. Borrowed swatches for several days.) I was attempting to carefully COMPLEMENT my high quality, nicely designed living room furniture. I took this DESIGN PROJECT very seriously. CHAIR DESIGN & SIZE (and fabric design & color) WERE CRUCIAL: THUS TUB CHAIR WITH CHANNELS.

I did all a customer could do to ASSIST the salesperson to get the selection RIGHT: re: DESIGN of CHAIR, DESCRIPTION, Size, Height, width, Fabric Design, Color, and how to clean. I even checked in with AT HOME, Nancy in late April, early May to attempt to make confirmations. Nancy would only speak in generalities, did not appear to look anything up, so I presumed she used computer and had more resent information.

BUT THE CHAIR DELIVERED TO MY HOME WAS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO THE CHAIR I ORDERED. (not in style, not in design, and package, Chair HAD NO TAGES, NO INVOICE, NO NOTHING! All very odd! )

On Telephone of June 1 delivery of Wrong Chair, Wrong Design, Nancy was very unhelpful, poor attitude. ONLY AT HOME MADE THE ORDER, only AT HOME HAD THE OFFICIAL PAPERWORK. AT HOME sales person Nancy claimed CHAIR is a ROBERT MICHAEL CHAIR. BUT THAT ROBERT MICHAEL "DISCONTINUED" THE CHAIR I HAD OBSERVED AND ORDERED, #9647.

Nancy from AT HOME further told me that ROBERT MICHAEL ASSIGNED the VERY SAME STYLE/DESIGN NUMBER 9647 TO CHAIR THAT WAS DELIVERED TO ME. (which is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT DESIGN: NOT A TUB CHAIR and NO CHANNELS. (only similarity was that both chairs were swivel!) (WHAT company does that? What legitimate company gives the same IDENTIFICATION number to A chair that they no longer carry? IF Nancy from AT HOME and ROBERT MICHAEL consider SWIVEL CHAIR 9647 THAT I ORDERED LATE MARCH 2013 an out of date style/design..that they no longer carry it, WHY DID THEY NOT INFORM ME? THEY also had OPPORTUNITY of MY TELEPHONE CALL. INSTEAD AT HOME, NANCY AND ROBERT MICHAEL EACH AND ALL FAILED DURING THE ENTIRE 6 WEEK PERIOD TO CONTACT ME OF CHANGES TO DESIGN. BUT each and all were more than delighted to take my money for something I DID NOT ORDER, I did NOT SELECT. DID NOT APPROVE. Yet also I waited 6 weeks for delivery, believing that all was well and ready for chair for company. YET NO TAGS, NO OFFICAL PAPER WORK, NO NAME ON THE DELIVERY TRUCK. ALL IS VERY STRANGE. IT ALMOST APPEARS AS IF THIS COULD BE A OFF THE FLOOR CHAIR, SINCE THERE ARE NO TAGS ON IT. AND NO PAPER WORK? ALL SEEMS LIKE A NON LEGITIMATE ENTERPRISE.

ED W., 2013-07-14, 06:05PM CDT

HELLO ALL.

I AM IN THE EARLY STAGES OF MY COMPLAINT PROCESS. MY CLOUD CHASE LOVE SEAT COUCH IS LESS THAN ONE MONTH OLD AND I HATE IT. I AM ALMOST READY TO GIVE IT AWAY. I WOULD IF I COULD AFFORD TO THROW MY MONEY AWAY. IT HAS ALMOST NO FOUNDATION AND I FEEL LIKE IM SINKING IN A HOLE EVERY TIME I TRY TO RELAX IN IT. $1350 IS ALOT OF MONEY FOR MY WIFE AND I. I REGRET PUTTING THIS MUCH CASH INTO SUCH POOR QUALITY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP. MY FEAR IS THIS COUCH WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS. AFTER READING OTHER REVIEWS MY FEARS ARE JUSTIFIED. I WENT BACK TO MOR FURNITUR TODAY TO SIT ON THE FLOOR MODEL, TO SEE IF THERE IS A QUALITY DIFFERENCE. THE FLOOR MODEL WAS FIRM AND SOLID. MY COUCH IS NOT. AFTER TALKING TO A SALES AGETN TODAY, 7/15/2013, I WAS REFERED TO THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT AND INFORMED I WILL BE CHSRGED FOR THE SERVICE CALL. NOT HAPPY AND I AM DIGGING IN FOR THE RUN AROUND. AT THIS POINT I JUST WANTED TO GET SOME RECORD OF THE ORIGINAL COMPLAINT DATE. I WOULD LIKE TO SEE MOR FURNITURE AND,OR ROBERT MICHAEL LTD. STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT

a70d8c66, 2013-07-17, 11:06PM CDT

I just found this and I'm in the same boat with the cushions as the rest of you. The sofa does seem well made, but the cushions are crap. At first they felt awesome and then after about 8 months I had to replace them as I felt like I was falling into the center of the sofa. Sad part is there are not cheap sofa but the quality of their filling is the worst. It cost me over $200 locally to have the foam replaced and confirmed what was in it was about as low quality as you could buy. Since having it replaced I've been happy. To me it's sad they can't just use a little better product for what we spent for this sofa. Lesson learned as I'm not sure I would buy another one of their products.

C A., 2013-11-11, 05:09PM CST

Has anyone purchased the Robert Michael JACKSON sectional couch? It was so soft but now I'm afraid to get it after reading all the posts. Not sure if all the sofas have the same filling.

Mary N., 2014-03-06, 06:55PM CST

Don't buy a Robert Michael's sofa!! We purchased the large Rocky Mountain sectional 2.5 years ago for $2800 and just gave it to Salvation Army with a purchase of a brand new sofa/loveseat/chair combo. That RM sectional was terrible - it was so soft and unsupportive that we could only lay on it - barely & uncomfortably. No one liked to sit on it - you sunk to down to the springs and ended up in a hole. We had to rescue and assist any of our relatives from it who was over 60 years old who came to visit for the holidays. The feathers poked through and stabbed you. There were feathers everywhere. I had to vacuum it every week, always fluffing and maintaining, sometimes daily. No couch should be a back-breaking experience - to sit on it or maintain. I didn't even feel good enough about it to sell it - even though the fabric was still good. It looked fabulous when all vacuumed and fluffed, but looked like an unmade bed if anyone touched it.

85dc6822, 2014-05-19, 01:34AM CDT

I bought this sectional 2 years ago with different decorative pillows. Although I did not buy it at this furniture store it is the same sectional by Robert Michael. It is gorgeous and extremely comfortable. However after 6 months the seem in the decorative pillows started to fray. I took them back to the store and they "fixed" them. It didn't work. It frayed again! The back pillows and decorative pillows are all so thin and deformed. The warranty only covers the frame but no the sectional. The sectional was only covered for a year and now we are out luck. I know have a comfortable sectional that looks terrible.