Posted on Thursday, July 7th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by dbaf29ef

Red Oak, IA 51591-1253

My Complaint:

w1.buysub.com/pubs/WM/USW/USW_tellus_subscription_040405.jsp?cds_page_

id=13690&id=1120687786151&lsid=51871709461015746&vid=1&cds_mag_code=USW

I accepted an online offer for 4 FREE issue of US Weekly magazine. The offer said I could mark the invoice "cancel" and owe nothing if I decided not to subscribe after my free trial. I received a bill for $59.96, marked "cancel" across the bill and mailed it to the po box listed above. The subscription was apparently canceled as I had requested because I have received no further issues after my 4 free issues, but yet they have sent me two additional invoices. Today, I received another invoice saying that if I did not pay them the $59.96 by August 1, 2005, they are turning me over to "an independent collection agency. Pay now to avoid further collection activity." I have emailed COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_74672# but am not sure this will get them to stop hounding me. I do not want the magazine and do not feel it is appropriate to try to extort money from me by threatening my credit rating.

Deborah

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_45704#

50b23992, 2008-06-09, 09:20AM CDT

The exact same thing has happened to me. I guess I will just have to pay the total bill since it will go to collections if I don't. The really frustrating part of this whole ordeal is that there is NO WHERE to pay the bill online. This is 2008. Every other business uses online bill pay. I will NEVER purchase another US Weekly.

2e624714, 2009-09-23, 06:37AM CDT

I received the same thing. I noticed on the letter, the website is www.usweekly.com/paynow and the insert is usmagazine.com/paynow. Neither site showed up. I'm thinking of waiting til my subscription runs out and starting all over.

Adrienne K., 2013-01-01, 12:51PM CST

I have two major issues with this US Weekly service - 1) the day after I ordered online and submitted my card info, my card info was hacked and THOUSANDS of dollars in unauthorized purchases occurred in <surprise> Califiornia. Since I had just placed this order with this vendor, and have NEVER had an issue like this in the past, I'm pretty sure it was due to using the US WEEKLY site. Fortunately I was able to resolve the theft issue pretty quick with my bank.

So US WEEKLY tries to charge the card, which they can't cuz its been cancelled and then I get the paper invoice. I go online to pay and find TONS of deals on other sites that have a lower price for this magazine. This is NOT the way to stay competitive. Further I could never locate the way to pay online so I am paying the inflated corporate amount by check. In the future when the subscription runs out, I will order from another source.

They also offered the incentive of extra issues for paying online, and I have requested those even though I have to pay by check.