Future Shop - Idiots, Poor Customer Service, No Ability To Think For Themselves

Posted on Friday, July 22nd, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by bea52d1d

Company: Future Shop - Idiots, Poor Customer Service, No Ability To Think For Themselves

Future Shop - Idiots, Poor Customer Service, No Ability To Think For Themselves

Futureshop - Gateway Mall - Kitchener Ontario, 2004

I was sent to Futureshop to purchase a flatscreen monitor by my computer technician (my regular monitor had exploded - yes, really, smoke and everything).

He sent me there because they had the best price and the other monitor I had purchased through him had been damaged during shipping and arrived broken (not his fault). He also pointed out a $70 in-store coupon on the Futureshop website.

The coupon, however, expired that evening and we were trying to obtain a new monitor at about 8:30 - the store closed at 9 PM. He called a friend who worked at FS and was told that the coupon would be honoured if we made the purchase the next AM at store opening. I did not have a Business VISA at that time and did not wish to put a $700 purchase on my personal credit as this was a business expense. So I went to the store in the AM to purchase the monitor in question.

When I walked in (with the print out from the FS website showing the monitor, picture of it and model #) and presented this to the first salesman I encountered, he said "We don't carry that item."

When I referred him to the FS website print out, he changed his tune and then asked another salesperson where they were kept. The other guy didn't know (even though all three of us were standing in the monitor section and there were about 40 on display!). He then turned away without a word and started walking away towards the front of the store. I assumed (?) he wanted me to follow him and so I did until I realized he was looking above the display racks and had entered the large appliances section. Even I knew that he wasn't likely to find a monitor there!!

He finally returned having not (big surprise) been able to find the item in question and asked a 2nd salesperson where it might be. It turns out, it was in a box above our heads where I'd been standing the whole time - in fact, there were three on the shelf! DUH!!

I had one pulled down and proceeded to go through the motions of paying for it and asked to have the $70 discount coupon applied. He then got all confused and said he didn't know anything about this. Again, he walked away without a word and left me standing there wondering what the hell he was doing and/or if he was coming back. He finally returned with a "manager" who was maybe 20 yrs old. I explained the situation, that the coupon expired at midnight the night before but that I couldn't take advantage of it by making the purchase on line and asked that they still honour it since it was only 9 hrs past midnight the night before.

The manager stated that this was impossible. I suggested that it probably was possible if he'd contact Head Office and enquire about it and that I couldn't see what "real" difference it made since I'd have been entitled to the discount if I'd been able to purchase on line the night before. He refused to do so and explained that it was "company policy" - a term certain to make customers see red.

I then pointed out that I was already in the store, knew that their sales people worked on commission, was standing in front of him with my corporate cheque book in hand ready to buy and that I wasn't about to buy without a discount that I could have obtained only 9 hrs earlier if I'd had a business credit card available at the time. He simply shrugged and said "there's nothing I can do."

I pointed out that he was allowing a $700 sale (plus commission) to walk out the door all for the sake of a $70 discount that Future Shop could certainly afford. He had no response and offered his (meaningless and likely insincere apologies).

I walked out without making the purchase.

Later that day, I wrote to Future Shop and explained the situation in detail, explained that they'd lost a sizeable sale due to the fact that their staff wasn't particularly proactive, showed less than zero interest in going one inch out of their way to assist a customer and that their staff were badly in need of some basic customer service training as well as pointing out that they obviously didn't know anything about what was available in store, where it was kept and the fact that the product was on their own website.

I faxed this to their main customer service office somewhere in PEI or New Brunswick. Surprise, surprise, I never received an acknowledgement or a reply. I therefore mailed AND faxed the letter a second time two weeks later. I informed them that at minimum, a response seemed to be in order and that the message FS was sending to customers was - "We don't much give a damn if you buy from us or not or if you're happy or if our staff has a clue what they're doing or not. We make millions a year and we don't need or care about your little $700 sale."

To my amazement and irritation, I never received any response from them at all.

So, I'm posting this here to inform those reading this complaint that, Future Shop is poorly run, badly managed, their staff are poorly trained, have no ability nor apparently, authority, to resolve customer issues and aren't sufficiently smart enough to take any steps to do so. Future Shop's turnover is huge (what a shock) and their staff don't have a clue where things are located, how to apply discounts nor have any idea whether what's in the store is actually available on the website or vice versa. Worse yet, Future Shop itself doesn't seem to give a damn about any of this and hasn't even the basic brains, common courtesy or good manners to take the time to email, write or call a customer who has taken the time to come to their store and write to them twice to inform them of customer issues, poor service or even find a way to conclude a sale and give Future Shop his business.

In a nutshell they're useless, don't care about their customers and can't be bothered to train their staff worth a damn. At least, that's the impression that they've decided let me go away with.

I, for one, refuse to deal with Future Shop at all unless they have the product I need and at a price that I absolutely can't match anywhere else. In those cases, I refuse to deal with their staff/sales personnel and if I have to, I'll gladly pay more to make my purchases and take my business to the competition.

FutureShop sucks, they know it, they don't care and no amount of complaining, writing, calling, emailing or enquiring to them makes a bit of difference. Shop there at your peril.

DT

Kitchener, Ontario

Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_46340#

75f25d34, 2007-11-07, 08:38PM CST

I bought a Kingston Data Traveler from Futurshop back in early September. It broke yesterday (November 5th). I really need one for work, so I went today to try to excahnge it for a new one. The stupid girl at the customer service desk said it was no longer covered under warranty by the manufacturer and since I didn't pay for extended coverage there was nothing she could do. Extended warranty on a $20 flash drive?? I told her Kingston knew it was crap and that it would break and that is why they didn't cover it, but the store should stand behind what they sell and since I only owned it about 8 weeks they should give me a replacement. She looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I am. Maybe selling somebody a new item and not standing behind it in any way is the norm with Futureshop. Well I'm so glad I had this happen before I spend $1000 plus on a new laptop. Futureshop won't be getting that money, or another dime for that matter, from me. Fuck you Futureshop, never again, it's your loss. I'm only out $20! hahahah

1dfa7294, 2007-12-18, 09:21PM CST

If future shop did suck, they would not be in business. If the cupon was expired you cannot expect them to honor it when it clearly says when it expires. No retail store would do that because that is clearly stupid. It deafeats the purpose of having a sale if there was one going on 24/7. If anything your friends technician should be fired because no employee i know would ever say that.

f06ac815, 2007-12-31, 05:49AM CST

cant believe that you were fighting for an expired coupon at future shop. Are you special? that they would have treated you differently than any other customer you had an "expired" coupon and there is reason why there is expiry date on the coupon cause the sale price is no longer valid. I m a consumer as well but what you did was wrong and about the sales person you were talking about might be new everyone go through this faze so chill and grow up if you own that big of a business taht doest mean that you have to start saying bad things about other people I hope you will change your way of thinking after this.

1fc37882, 2008-01-08, 11:06AM CST

I HERE YOU.....! YESTERDAY AT MY LOCAL ESSO GAS WAS LIKE 1.01 A LITRE AND TODAY IT'S A $ 1.06 , I ASKED THE CLERK INSIDE IF HE WOULD HONOR YESTERDAY'S PRICE BECAUSE I WAS NOT ABLE TO MAKE IT IN A FILL UP AND HE SAID .....NO.....UNREAL .

MAYBE YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE WAIT UNTIL LAST MINUTE AND MAYBE SALES ARE ON AND COUPONS VALID FOR SPECIFIC TIME FRAMES FOR A REASON.....GET REAL AN SUCK IT UP AND GROW UP , THIS IS THE REAL WORLD AND HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE .

b19e5c75, 2008-01-12, 08:45PM CST

As far as expired coupon is concerned FS salesperson were on right because they don't have right to honour an expired one. But I am agree with the FS bad customer service. Some of them are very knowledgeable but most of them are totally suck. I have bought a 1080p 46inch Televsion from FS on Dec 23rd Dec and the other day FS reduced the price so i returned that one and when i visited that night to FS i found another deal so i took that deal but they promised to deliver me on boxing day which is 26th of Dec. Today is Jan 13th 2008, i am still waiting for the delivery. When i inquired they said they are out-of-stock and they chargec me the delivery charges and promised to delivered in the morning. It means they book the orders without having stock in place. Moreover i haven't received the TV but i got my FS credit card statement and i have to pay on Jan 28 the first installment. Yah they are making money without having stock. They can do so, as customers can say nothing and who's gonna listen to us.

9e15c9f6, 2008-08-27, 02:30PM CDT

i am not sasfied whit your guys in replance plan because i bough a ipod nano 4gb silver and when i bough the 2 year extended warranty for it and the guy that sold it to me did not say you have to sead it away and get a gift card back he said it would be replaced for a new one

email me back..........................

a3108be3, 2008-09-04, 08:44PM CDT

Well I wish I would've done some research before purchasing 1 plasma and 1 LCD T.V. and a Mac laptop at FutureSuck. I bought these items as well as the 3 year extended warranty for all 3 items back in February '08 approximately $1100 in warranty alone. 55 days ago my laptop broke, I took it in to get it repaired and after having it for 55 days they called me to let me know that they won't be fixing it because someone spilled water on it. The funny thing is that I am the only one that uses the laptop and I never have spilled any liquid on my laptop. I told them that I was the only one that uses the laptop and they started giving me a whole bunch of possible scenarios as to how I or someone else might've accidently spilled water on my laptop. What a bunch of conartists, they take your money and don't honour their warranty. I will NEVER buy anything from Futureshop, nothing! and since I work in the IT industry I will tell all of my customers to NOT purchase anything from them. I hope others take my advice and think twice before purchasing anything from them.

b72e2aa2, 2008-09-14, 10:30AM CDT

NO Your Local Future Shop is poorly run, badly managed, their staff are poorly trained, have no ability nor apparently, authority, to resolve customer issues and aren't sufficiently smart enougFh to take any steps to do so. My Local Futureshop has the smartest and friendlest so and so's staff around.

ad9a5efc, 2008-11-06, 10:38PM CST

Are you actually serious? You can expect FS to take care of your broken product. Manufacturers warranties are never handled at stores, hence the word "manufacturer". Your pretty much saying that FS should replace a plasma TV after 8 weeks because it broke, and the crappy limited manufacturer warranty didn't cover the problem. If this happened they wouldn't be in business, you can't expect them just to take a loss like that. May you should actually purchase an extended service plan next time instead of "taking your chances", because look where that got you....

15670830, 2008-12-28, 12:26AM CST

I completely here you. First off i'd like to say im a FutureShop Sales Assocaite, and I really do understand what your saying, because i've experienced it first hand. But to say Futureshop sucks and everything to do with it, is extremely ignorant. So you had a bad experience at one futureshop? Does that automatically give you the right to say that about FutureShop in general? This kind of stuff happens, what you do is take your business else where, or to another FutureShop or BestBuy. I for one, have been working there for 3 years (im 21 now), and have never had a conflict or any sort of situation like this before, because im well-educated, and know my stuff. (I work home theatre btw), if you came to me I would have been more than happy to let you speak to head office, or I would have given you the discount myself. The FutureShop you went to, obviously had poor associates and customer satisfaction, but not all do, so i'd appreciate if we could turn the ignorance level down. I dont know where you live, but Im from store 52 in Scarborough, Ontario, and if you, or know someone whose around the area tell them to come check it out and then make a decision. We're all extremly polite and for the most of us genuwinely considered about disatisfied customers. Basically, all im saying is you should never judge something based on that one experience. You sound like that 1 in a million customer that know one wants to deal with, it may be your attitude. If your going off on one bad experience, I doubt you handled the situation maturely at FutureShop to even be eligible for that discount. But again, check another Futureshop and you'll see the difference.

fa8a3e2e, 2009-02-10, 12:19AM CST

The poster above is retarded. 8 weeks is 3months. If every retailer gave 8 weeks of warranty in store, what the fuck is the point of having a extended warranty? If it wasn't a $20 flash drive and instead a $1000 TV or laptop. Does that mean Futureshop should cover that too? If everyone had that. There would be no such a thing as business anymore. They'd be all charities.

9b722f28, 2009-02-19, 03:39PM CST

Educate your selves people and stick it to the man!!!

Under the sale of goods Act of 1979 if you purchase goods that are deemed not fit for purpose you are entitled to a full cash refund of said goods with in 6 months of purchase!!!

b2c26822, 2009-10-23, 03:25PM CDT

.... I get that you are angry but seiously you are saying that 700 bucks was impossible to put on your own visa and that futureshop should get on it's billion dollar knees for 700 buck? The markup on electronics, especially computer/monitors, are extremely low, that's why they push warranty to make money. Likely the monitor had less than 70$ profit especially if it was a flyer/online item. And why wouldn't you go the night before to buy it instead of being the greasy guy who flips out cause he comes 24 hours after the sale ended. It's called limited time only because it IS LIMITED TIme only. You have every right to be mad at the sales assosciate because he was incompetent, but you also must have noticed what a pretentious ass you are thinking 700$ is a HUGE business and how you can blame an entire company for a discount you missed on your own account and taking the work of your "friend" in the store without any doubts or back ground check..

43a898b9, 2009-11-29, 02:10AM CST

Kingston guy:

You bought the drive knowing full well what the coverage was. Your receipt states a 30 Day return policy and the flash drive box lays out the manufacturers warranty.

You knew these terms and didn't have to buy the drive. So don't bitch when it breaks and you need to get it fixed. If you want special service then you have to pay for the extended warranty. Didn't pay for the warranty? Then deal with it like everyone else and go through Kingston. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

f59aa744, 2010-02-25, 08:34PM CST

Hi I too had the same problem! I asked one of the sales staff to do something they couldn't do cause they don't have the power i ASSUMED they had. then i held back on paying for an object that had a coupon for 70 dollars off because i felt they should change all the rules for me the ultimate customer spending $700 measily dollars for an item that introduced to the market, cost $4000 because I wanted to avoid writing on my tax return that I purchased the tv for myself and put it on my business credit. i then stood directly underneath the item I wanted. for twenty minutes cause I'm too stupid to look up! and have absolutely no experience in finding anything at all I'm looking for (i lose my keys and cell phone all the time)go figure I run a business and have no ability to think for myself. never once did it occur to my insanely brilliant self indulgent persona that the staff may be new or undertrained because of all the upset customers with no education, or patience complaining about things I could have easily overcome with common sence. also everyone knows that there are four weeks in a month and two months is obviously 6 weeks and the additional two weeks after that is a third month. I also concluded to myself that each staff member is aware that there are an abundance of items that are web only due to minor spec changes that once investigated seriously makes it impossible to remember all that garbage cause the items are what is said to be obsolete in only a few months, as well they carry refurbished items for sale. on top of that this all took a length of five days to complete and because i was on my period and totaly dilusional i decided to sit down and write a painfully long and stupid complaint about something that happens everyday to stupid people like my self and teenagers.

dca7424b, 2010-02-25, 08:37PM CST

dca7424b, 2010-02-25, 08:37PM CST

c4603fe4, 2010-04-10, 11:30PM CDT

First you should not think ALL of Futureshop is poorly run, that was one store, one incident, one time (that you posted). You cant make the judgment and say the whole company is liek that. Yes that store reflects the company and yes you were not treated as you should have. Should they have accepted that coupon, no. Why? It does have an expiry date, and that also need to be honored just as it would as if you came before it expired. Make seance? How ever what that store did wrong was that they should have at least gave you an alternative solicitation. Maybe you would not have saved $70 but I am sure they could have done something on a $700.00 package. I work at Futureshop and I know what customers want and how they are expected to be treated. We can give you the best deal possible, it is what we will do, but we cannot put you on a pedestal and give you everything you want with out being reasonable and being business smart (after all that is what we are). I hope you realize that. Also you should have heard back from head office. That I have no idea why you have not got a response. I would be mad about that to. So I hope you do return to futureshop and do see that we do have very knowledgeable product experts and exceptional customer service.

8d84f936, 2010-04-12, 02:56AM CDT

I am currently employed as a Future Shop sales associate myself and I find it very difficult to believe such a thing has happened. Even so, at my store we strive to meet every single customer's need (within reason)and will go that extra mile to complete a sale. To generalize those comments about the company as a whole I find is rather immature. This is a multi million dollar business and is so for a reason. Maybe it just so happens the management in that one particular store needs adjustment. As for complaints, you would be more likely to get a response if u emailed or faxed the store manager directly, as you probably dealt with a floor manager. If that does not work, try the district manager. I am proud to work for this company, so to hear something like this is rather upsetting.

87f7d6fb, 2010-10-28, 01:49PM CDT

This complaint is hilariously stupid. You're arguing about not getting a discount at a retail store (which you should not ask for, but hope for, you arrogant, undeserving and oh-so-typical customer) for which the expiry date was _clearly_ outlined on your coupon.

Let me explain something to you. Futureshop's system -- a system controlled by the Head Office -- does not allow its associates to apply a coupon after their dates have passed. It's not about not wanting to apply your coupon, it's about not being able to. You could jump up and down, the Head Office will not modify their system infrastructure to accomodate your childish demand.

Newly trained customers are nervous. Deal with it. I'd like to see you memorize the exact spot of every item in the store before three months. You won't be able to do it. The person you fell on was probably new, and it is normal for them to commit errors because that is how people learn. Instead of being hard on the guy, you should try to develop some kind of sensibility. I'm sure you could use a break at a new job if you weren't sure what to do.

I don't see why you would bother with bashing on Futureshop--this is a specific store issue. Most associates at Futureshop know what they're talking about or, with experience, become more knowledgeable in their field. It's severly immature to comment on a young associate's low experience and it really makes you look mentally limited to bash on a whole company for not giving you a discount on an item that clearly a) has an expired coupon and b) has a price tag for a reason. It is both insulting and annoying (and useless) when clients _demand_ a discount. "I'm not buying this unless you give me a discount." Get the fuck out of here, I could not care less about your $700.00 if you make it seem like I'm doing you the hugest favor in the world. It's--truly--an insignificant speck of what Futureshop makes (as you pointed out), and it is very funny for you to make it seem like it's the complete opposite.

_________

To the person who's crying about not getting a replacement after 8 weeks (EIGHT WEEKS), you also need an intelligence check. You're asking a public retail distributor (Futureshop) to issue a replacement item for which you paid $20.00, refused a replacement plan for, were clearly warned that it only carried a limited manufacture warranty for which Futureshop is not responsible, and most laughably, happened three months after the date of purchase. Yes, you are stupid. The girl at the Customer Service counter did right to look at you as if you were retarded.

63ff4d70, 2010-12-15, 11:49PM CST

Ive worked a fair share in retail. Ive worked for futureshop as well.

You have no right to bash an employee on something they were doing right. Just because you are a customer, and you feel you have the right to be honored the discount, you don't. Let me explain that a little clearer to you.

How many people do you think walk through the doors each day? Alot. And let me tell you how stressful a day can turn, especially if your newer. Ive dealt with customers like you, shutting you down the moment you ask for help. Hell ive worked in entertainment and NO WE DONT MAKE COMMISSION. IF you would have listened and maybe read clearer on the coupon, the expiry date is what makes the decision. Not the manager and certainly not the employee. Furthermore, embarking on a childish rant of pointless complaining because you couldnt get what you wanted makes you look like a god damn fool, especially when they were doing their jobs right. One disliked experience from future shop and youve turned everyone against it is just stupid. Shouldnt you have stopped and thought about how it would be in their position. The managers are riding their asses enough everyday and if they are sensible with the deals they make. Screw your selfish opinion and judgment, your not a king. . they arent going to bow down to your demands.

Take your complaint and shove it where it really belongs. Because the customer isnt always right.

55404dac, 2010-12-21, 03:34PM CST

I totally agree with you, Future shop customer service are a big bunch of liars as I was trying to get price match on Wii game and they said that, they phoned my local Wal-Mart store and they don't have it which was not true they had 6 in stock and more in transit so I went and got it same day from Wal-Mart and simply going to return the one I bought from Future Shop for $13 more. I was put on hold for 30 miutes for 3 times so I almost 2 hours on phone and end up with nothing except lies. I will never shop future shop again please BEWARE!!!!! of their price math promise.

bf67f4ed, 2011-01-22, 03:53AM CST

So the customer contacted a FS employee a half hour before they close, and expects them to be able to have all the staff in the following day to know about the coupon request, to know which product was discussed and where it is located, and be ready to process it with coupon code? Completely unreasonable request. Try giving some notice, or not waiting till last minute. It is not Future SHop's Fault that you did not have a work VISA and couldnt order it that night. ALso there are so many different coupons popping up on stores websites, it is impossible for every employee to have knowledge about all of them at once. Having worked in retail i know that often when there are deals with coupons like that, business are actually getting reimbursement of some sort to offer those deals. discounting after the expiration date does not allow them to get that reimbursement and they end up selling the item for less than the cost they ordered it for and end up losing money. Businesses are in business to make money, not lose it. Future Shop didnt get big by being stupid and throwing money away to unreasonable people. The amount of difference between price and cost for computer hardware is very little. Had their head office purposefully ignored, it would have been because of how unreasonable this request was. Customers like this make businesses lose money. THey are better off refusing them, so they can go somewhere else and argue and waste their time. trying to get a deal that will lose them money.

Still cant believe they had the nerve to continue to go higher and higher up the chain complaining. ANd then coming on here trying to ruin their reputation. WHat a moron.

bc377007, 2011-01-27, 10:25AM CST

thank you for your information i am in same position with them and i am thinking to not to do any deal with them at all very poor and uneducated people work there

24a5a2eb, 2011-02-10, 02:44PM CST

For the person who said they wouldn't exchange it after 8 wees of owning it, and that Future shop should back up their products... wtf. Every store has a limited return policty usually ranging from 10-30 days depending. Future shops is 30 (With exceptions of some items at 14). It says this clearly througout the store and on your receipt. No, they are not required to do anything past the 30 days. Then it is the manufacturers issue. If the manufacture won't do anything, how is it Future Shop's fault?

And to the person complaining about the coupon and how the employees are idiots, poor customer service and unable to think for themselves well I am insulted. You had one bad experience with a certain employee/manager in ONE location. To generalize one situation to an entire (successful) corporation is rediculous and as I said insulting.