Discover Card

Posted on Monday, January 10th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by 634548ee

Company: Discover Card

Category: Business, Finances

I would like to file a complaint against Discover Card. I was a customer since 1987, years ago I was informed by Discover that I could use my card to transfer balances from other cards to this account at a lower rate. Of course I did transfer several accounts, everything was fine until a couple of years ago it seems that Discover decided that they would no longer offer me the transfer balance rate but the cash advances rate of 21.99%. At the time I was the primary caretaker for a loved one who has since died and did not have the time to thoroughly look into this situation as I should have, the periodic phone calls to Discover only ended up by my being more frustrated as I was not able to speak to a supervisor, but would end up being put on hold or transferred to another department and the various customer service reps that I did speak with were unable to help. I recently decided to close my account with Discover and it was only at that point and time when I called Discover to close the account that I finally received the appropriate professional service that anyone is entitled to especially someone like myself with excellent credit rating,when I informed a customer service rep.by the name of Ashley that I wanted to close this account she inquired the reason why as she could not understand since I had this account since 1987,and she wanted to see what she could do to make me change my mind. When I explained the situation to her,she spoke to her supervisor and informed me that they would do something as when she checked my account she also could not understand the reason my transfer balances were being charged as cash advances at the highest rate of interest. Unfortunately after spending about 30 minutes on the phone with the customer service rep.she informed me that she and her supervisor contacted the appropriate department and they were informed that since I did not file a complaint within the past year there was nothing they could do for me, of couse I did do something over the last couple of years however their records would not show that none of their customer service reps.helped me resolve this situation. The account has been closed, and I will continue to make my monthly payments until the account has been paid in full, however I do feel that Discover should not get away with this procedure of charging my account at the higher rate of 21.99%, I would like to see this situation resolved by the annual rate of interest being reduced to 16.99% which would be fair and reasonable, Discover should reimburse my account if not the total amount of that they overcharged me at least half of it. Thanking you for the attention that you will be giving to this matter and looking forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience Sincerely, Huguette S.A Williamstown, N.J. 080904

Gary A

1b511de3, 2008-08-29, 07:30PM CDT

I have excellen credit and was told Discover was a great way to reap some customer benefits. Boy was I wrong. My biggest complaint is that Discover just doesn't give a shit. They do not care if they are wrong. They do not care if they are at fault. They find a way to blame the customer and stick it to you. I carried about 900 on my card at 9%. I always made my payment and made them on time. Most of the time, I paid double payments.

Then I ended up needing some minor surgery and had to come up with 2000 cash very fast. I called Discover and inquired about using one of their check cards. They explained the interest was high, about 21%. I told them I would have the money to pay back the 2000 in less than 30 days.

I wrote the check for 2000 and had my surgery.

When the bill came in from Discover, about 30 days later, I sent them a a personal check for 2500. I paid the 2000 plus 500, leaving me a small balance of 400 at 9%.

You would have though all was well and that I was left with about 400 on my Discover card.

Wrong again.

The sharks applied the 2500 to my 900 balance, leaving me with 0 at 9% and a 21% balance on 400 dollars. I didn't catch what they had done for a couple of months. They just kept sucking the blood from me.

When I called to complain, they just didn't care. "Read the fine print they told me. We have the right to apply the payment where it MOST BENEFITS US."

I was astounded. I asked to speak with a manager.

Again, them manager just didn't care. She repeated what the custer service rep told me. "You should have read your service agreement," she said, i.e... too bad for the customer.

At that point I said I wanted to close my account. I told Discover that they would have my balance in full within a few days. I wanted to close my account. Great, they said, we'll be happy to close your account.

I'm a good customer who paid my bills but complained when they dipped into my pockets and basicaly stole from me. They never batted an eye when they closed my account.

"That's business," they said.

Moral of the story... there is no free lunch. A credit card company is no better than a pickpocket. If you turn your head, they will steal you blind.

1b511de3, 2008-08-29, 07:36PM CDT

I wrote the check for 2000 and had my surgery.

Wrong again.

I was astounded. I asked to speak with a manager.

"That's business," they said.