Valspar - Guardsman

Posted on Saturday, January 29th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by e1290fc6

Company: Valspar - Guardsman

Valspar - Guardsman

I am having a problem with a company called Valspar and I don’t know where to turn. I was hoping you might be able to help me. Here is what happened: I purchased Valspars Guardsman Protection product from Grand Home Furnishing in Winchester Virginia for every piece of furniture I bought for my bedroom set: Date, Kincaid Product, Furniture Price, Guardsman Cost 09/05/01, Bed, Price: $892.50, Guardsman Cost: $89.95 02/06/02, Armoire & 2 Night Stands, Price: $1618.20 & $1359.90, Guardsman Cost: $199.95

08/28/02, Govenors Clothing Center, Price: $2240.55, Guardsman Cost: $199.95

09/03, Dresser, Price: ~$2000.00, Guardsman Cost: $124.95 On July 2004 I contacted Valspar and explained that my Kincaid Armoire had been damaged (this was the first and only time I have used this protection plan). During the week of August 16, 2004 I received a call from Express Leather Care saying that they were contacted by Valspar and would be coming out to repair my furniture. I immediately contacted Valspar because I was concerned that this was not a piece of furniture that had any leather on it, it was a wood piece of furniture. I was told that Express Leather Care knew how to “repair” wood. On August 20, 2004 the technician from Express Leather Care arrived and tried to fix the problem. Not only did he NOT fix the problem, he made it worse. I sent photos to Valspar detailing the damage done to my armoire by the Valspar representative. Valspar sent another technician out to repair my armoire. His name is Albert Ibrahim and he does ONLY wood repairs. He informed me that the previous person damaged my furniture further. He said, had he been called originally, he could have repaired it in my home to my satisfaction. Now, he would need to have the piece brought to his shop to be repaired properly. He told me he would need to get authorization from Valspar before he could properly repair the furniture. I was contacted by Valspar stating that they would not repair the furniture and I could have the piece replaced. The problem is, that piece is no longer made by Kincaid. I asked how much it would cost to repair the piece and I was told approximately $700 for the repair and $200 for shipping to/from the repair shop. Valspar said it was not feasible to repair the piece for approximately $900. Since the piece is no longer made, I was given 2 options: 1. $1618.20 Grand Store Credit and relinquish damaged armoire, or

2. $485.00 cash to cancel the policy I am not satisfied with either option. Since this piece is part of a set and cannot be replaced, I don’t want some other piece of furniture. I want my Armoire repaired. I feel that Express Leather Care, a representative of Valspar is responsible for the additional damage done to my furniture. I should not have to get a different piece of furniture since it was damaged more severely by a Valspar representative. I even voiced my concern to Valspar about having Express Leather Care repair my wood piece and was assured that they knew what they were doing (obviously not). I have been in contact with Grand Home Furnishings and they told me they agree with me. Grand was even trying to work this out with their Valspar representative for the store. I was told on January 24, 2005, by Valspar Customer Service that I have until February 28, 2005 to decide which option I want. Again, I don’t want either option – I just want my Armoire repaired. I feel that since Valspar sent a technician to repair the furniture and that technician damaged the furniture that Valspar should be held responsible for repairing the furniture. I have written the Vice President of Valspar, I have written the President of Grand Home Furnishings to no avail. On January 25, 2005 I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. The following is information that the BBB has on Valspar: Valspar Corporation

4999 - 36TH Street, S.E.

Grand Rapids, MI 49512

Nature of Business

This company offers manufacturing of fabric protection & after-market auto products.

Customer Experience

Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unresolved complaint(s).

Our file contains a pattern of complaints in which consumers allege that the company failed to honor their warranty on damaged furniture. The company has responded to all complaints by either arranging for repair or replacement if the claim is eligible under the warranty, or explaining why the request is not eligible under the warranty. In many cases when the request is not eligible for repair or replacement, the company provided a refund for the cost of the warranty coverage.

The Bureau processed 175 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. 97 of those were closed in the last 12 months. These complaints concerned advertising issues, repair or service issues, guarantee or warranty issues, contract issues, customer service issues and credit or billing issues. Of these complaints, 119 were closed as resolved, 15 were closed as unresolved. 41 were closed when the company addressed the disputed issues and exhibited a good faith effort to resolve the complaint. When evaluating complaint information, please consider the company's size and volume of business. The number of complaints filed against the company may not be as important as the type of complaints and how the company handled them.

Report as of 01/26/2005 As you can see by reading this, that I am not the first person to have this problem with Valspar. I just feel like this company is taking advantage of not only myself, but others as well. I wish there was a way to inform people that buying this “protection plan” is no protection at all. I should have listened to my father when he told me never to by the “extra” warranties on any products. I don’t know if there is anything you can do, but I thought I would give you a try. I know you have helped other people with consumer issues and thought maybe you could help me too. Thank you,

Karen H

Ashburn, VA 20147

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_72393# Consumer

d025645e, 2008-03-19, 11:29AM CDT

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM I PURCHASED A MATTRESS AND THE PAD THAT PROTECTS THE MATTRESS FOR 10 YEARS JUST CALLED TO FILE A CLAIM AS A SMALL CHILD WET THE BED AND SOAKED THROUGH THE PAD AND INTO THE MATT THEY WON'T DO ANYTHING AS YOU HAVE TO INFORM THEM WITH IN 5 DAYS THIS IS JUST UNACCATABLE AS I WAS NOT TOLD THIS THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE PUT OUT OF BUISNESS AND OR WE ALL NEED TO LET THE MEDIA KNOW HOW THEY ARE TREATING US BY NOT STANDING BY THEIR PRODUCT

Anonymous, 2008-04-08, 07:54AM CDT

GUARDSMAN IS A CROCK OF SH1T. DO NOT BUY THE PROTECTION PLAN!!!!!

2a54f660, 2008-04-21, 04:10PM CDT

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE 10YR GUARANTEED MATT PAD MY DOG HAD AN ACCIDENT(URINE) WENT THROUGH THE PAD AND ONTO THE MATT CALLED AND FILED A CLAIM THEY SENT SOMEONE OUT TO CLEAN WHICH HE SOAKED MY MATT IT TOOK 2 DAYS TO DRY WAS TOLD NOT TO SLEEP ON IT UNTIL IT DRIED... SO I HAVE SINCE CALLED VALSPAR ABOUT THE ODOR THEY TELL ME ODORS ARE NOT COVERED WHICH OCCURED FROM THE PET URINE WHICH SHOULD NOT HAVE HIT THE MATT BECAUSE THE PAD IS GUARANTEED FOR 10 YRS THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING... THIS IS BULL DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY I FILED A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB AS HAVE SEVERAL HUNDRED OTHER CONSUMERS...

bc288981, 2008-04-26, 08:27AM CDT

HI,

I am also having a problem with Valspar's Guardsman serivce. I have never been through such a ridiculous process in my entire life. I also bought the protection plan for an entire furniture purchase. (Over $8,000 in furniture, including a leather sectional. We had a problem where the leather skirting had pulled away from the couch. I also told the rep on the phone that when you sat on the cushion above the skirting that you sank down and that there was something wrong. She told me that they don't cover cushion flattening and I told her that was fine but I didn't think that is what the problem was. I proceeded to fill out 3 forms and mail them to the company. They would not accept an emailed form or a fax. It had to be mailed, so it took 2 weeks before I even had a technician call me to repair. When he did call he couldn't give me a definite appointment time. He said he would call me when he had a cancellation. Well, I work a full time job, my husband runs his own business, adn we have 2 kids involved in several sports. So, we're not able to just drop everything when the technician gets a cancellation. Of course, when he gets here he tells me that there is underlying structural damage and that wasn't on the work order he has, so he can't fix anything. So, I have to go through the entire process again and waste more of my time. I have already wasted so much time on this with no results. I have never encountered a more ridiculous process. The technician couldn't fix the skirting on my couch beacause of the underlying reason that it pulled away in the first place. How can you fix a problem without fixing what caused it to happen in the first place. He said I should have told the woman on the phone everything that was wrong with the couch. I told him that I don't do furniture repair in my free time, so I wasn't really aware of everything that was wrong with the couch. I told her that when you sit down it sinks down and I thought that somehting was wrong with it. I don't know how a consumer is supposed to know exactly what is wrong with something that they can't see inside of. So, just thought I'd share my ridiculous story with you. I am planning on calling them Monday (of course no one is there to take your call when the technician is actually here)and complaining, not that it will probably do any good. I also plan on filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau as well, although I don't know that that will get my couch fixed either. Hope you get your issue resoved.

f4a27f48, 2008-04-30, 05:56PM CDT

I am having a problem with Guardsman also......

We purchased our plan when we purchased a full $4500.00 bedroom set..After finding a piece of broken wood one day while vaccuuming the bedroom...I called Guardsman and they told me because I did not report it within one week of finding it that they will not cover it....

Wow!! what customer service!!!!! i will do eveything possible to make consumers aware of this issue...

6a652fc8, 2008-08-10, 10:41AM CDT

I am also having issues with Guardsman. I've bought the warranty on multiple purchases, but have just now needed to claim on 1 of them. It took forever to get someone out here. Some kids of friends had used a dog brush and "brushed" the arm to one of our chairs. The lady took pictures and left saying she was going to tell them they needed to replace the whole arm. A week later I get a rejection notice becuase the damage looks like pet damage. I have 2 short dogs and a declawed cat. So I have been fighting with them, and now they are claiming my dogs jumped on the tech's back and scratched her. A - they aren't tall enough to jump on anyone's back unless you were 4. B - what does that have to do with my chair being refused? Now I'm just fighting to get the $250 I paid for this round of warranty back to go get the chair recovered elsewhere myself. The furniture store were I bought it all is outraged. They had no idea how far Guardsman would go to deny a claim.

1850d9b7, 2009-02-03, 09:08AM CST

I bought a Guardsman protection plan for my entertainment center. I wasn't advised about the 5 day reporting issue and they rejected my claim. I can't understand if you're covered for 5 years why you can't just submit to get repair work done. The supervisor refused to reconsider, she sounded like she was reading from a script. She claimed I was sent all the info at the time of purchase, which I never received, and that the onus was on me to know this. She absolutely refused to bend. I was willing to sign a waver just to have someone come and try to fix the damage. She still refused.

However after reading all the complaints I guess I'm lucky they didn't try to fix my piece. They probably would have damaged it more!

e61a44f3, 2009-10-30, 01:35PM CDT

October 2009

This is obviously their standard MO. I filed a service request on a Monday for an incident that damaged a very expensive piece of furniture the day before. They are denying because they say I waited one month to report the incident. The kicker is that they called my home and spoke with my husband - who had no knowledge of me filing the service request nor what I'd written on the form. They asked him a leading question under the pretense of verifying some information on the form he'd never seen. His reply was "I guess so." Which they are now using to deny the claim saying that "your husband verified that you took 1 month to report the damage."

They say that they have proof in the recorded conversation with my husband. When I asked to hear or see a transcript of the recorded call, the supervisor said I'd have to hire an attorney and go through their legal department.

It is obvious that they are trained to use trickery. The Guardsman service reps and supervisor I spoke with were commonly rude, abrasive & argumentative from the start. If you want to get your blood pressure up quickly, call them.

0ff79aea, 2010-07-23, 01:40PM CDT

I am also having trouble with guardsman protection plan. There was a cuts in my sofa and reported to the guardsman. They simply denied it and telling you to read the details of the plain. Basically, if you carefully read about the protection plan, NOTHING is covered!

Don't pay $200 for the protection plan and get nothing!

15768f05, 2011-05-12, 10:48AM CDT

read the warranty you dumb twitt

904131e1, 2011-12-29, 10:09AM CST

for someone who is soooooooooo busy you certainly had alot of time to post your burbling..............

burble,burble,burble

1c765cdd, 2014-01-29, 05:56PM CST

I am in furniture sales, and I tell my customers to call me on my direct line if they have

a problem with the furniture. I first determine if it is mfg. or accident. It helps since the plan is for 5 years, and I know they won't remember that I told them to call within

5 days, and that it has to be an accident. I myself have purchased guardsman with great

success. I have to believe that these people are not being totally honest about what happened. I also faxed my info. to them and we corresponded via fax and phone; no

problem. Also, I have had customers come in to re-select, as they had contacted guardsman

and were extremely satisfied. Would I buy it on cheap furniture, no. But my good furn. yes!