Sterns and Foster warranty scam

Posted on Saturday, February 5th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by f371f183

Company: Sterns and Foster warranty scam

Sterns and Foster "warranty scam"

To whom it may concern,

I purchased a Sterns and foster mattress about a year ago. After having it for about six months it was slumping badly in the middle. I called the retailer Summerland And they sent a tech to check it out. It was slumping two inches. They replaced the mattress, sort of. The credited me $1,800 dollars (much less than I paid) because they discontinued that particular mattress. Considering the problems I had with the first mattress I decided to move up to a better model. At this point I'm up to a $2,600 mattress still Sterns and Foster.

This exchange took place in Aug 2004. The new $2,600 mattress is now slumping. I called the retailer again, this time they charge me $35.00 for a tech to come out. He records that the mattress is slumping 1 3/4 in. in the middle. To my surprise there was a faint water stain in the top of the mattress and the tech recorded this also. So Slumberland calls me today and says that the report indicates that the mattress is defective BUT there is a stain on the mattress so that VOIDS the warranty. WHAT? Excuse me? What does one thing have to so with the other? The mattress according to the retailer SlumberLand IS defective. This should, on it's own, warrant the replacement of the mattress. I spoke to Sterns and Foster and was treated very rudely by CSR T.J. who refused to let me speak to his superior.

Does any one stand behind there product any more? They put these stipulations in the warranty about stains because they know the padding materials they use are prone to staining the cover if the slightest amount of water comes into contact with it. The resulting stain is so common it has it's own term "Celulostic Browning". I think it is despicable of Sterns and Foster to use this OUT to avoid standing behind their product which by their own retailers admission is DEFECTIVE. Being almost legally blind due to Macular Degeneration I did not read the warranty completely and was until now, unaware of the "Stain Clause". It is my recommendation that these type of scandalous OUT clauses be discouraged by not doing business with companies like Sterns and Foster that hide behind the legal copy of their warrantees so they don't have to stand behind their product. Shame on you Sterns and Foster!

Robert A

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_73127# Consumer

f27728ec, 2009-01-09, 01:11PM CST

Robert A, I agree with you completely. I just encountered the same situation with Stearns and Foster. We purchased a mattress for $2700.00 a little over a year ago. At that time we also purchased a $120 mattress cover. Our mattress is coming apart at the seam. We had the tech come out to inspect the mattress. We never heard back from Stearns and Foster. After several months and many calls to Mattress Discounters (where we purchased the mattress) they finally informed us that the manufacture said that it was defective, however due to a small stain the warranty was void. This was even after we bought the $120 cover, which guarantees to prevent stains, which has been on the mattress ever since we purchased the mattress. It is crap! What a scam! I intend to fight this and go to the BBB and my attorney general. I cannot believe that this company treats consumers this way. My advice to you: if you are considering purchasing a mattress, do not buy a stearns and foster!!! Also, on a side note... Why does it matter to them if it is stained if it is defective??? Were they intending to resell the mattress to someone, say a hotel or something???

b4474195, 2009-01-18, 09:23PM CST

Your frustration is understandable, however all, and I do mean all mattress manufacturers have the same warranty exclusion. This is not a Stearns and Foster issue it is a mattress industry issue......The simple solution is to buy a mattress protector for $75

b2d10470, 2011-10-31, 03:36PM CDT

I wish I had read this before I purchased a Stearns and Foster. I just bought mine and within a month it was sagging in the middle. I am going to call every TV and Radio station in America. And the attorney general and see about filing a class action suit. I wouldn't buy another mattress from Seally or Haverty's

3a3bf3c7, 2013-01-23, 07:54AM CST

Thank you soooo much for complaint! My husband and I are currently looking at a very similar Stern and Foster at Slumberland!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you:)