Amazon.com - Amazon.com A-Z Guarantee

Posted on Monday, February 21st, 2005 at 12:00am CST by e2ecaa01

Product: A-Z Guarantee

Company: Amazon.com

Category: Online Shopping

Amazon's "A-Z Guarantee" provides no protection to sellers, and in essence means that any unethical person with a credit card can get anything they want for free! After I sold a CD on Amazon.com, the buyer filed am "A-Z Guarantee Claim" saying that he did not get the CD. The buyer then sent me a number of obscene, insulting and harassing e-mails gloating about the fact that he could get his money back from me. I contacted amazon.com within their required amount of time, giving them all the details on the transaction, including the fact that I had sent the CD, when I sent the CD, and transcripts of the buyer's obscene e-mails. Amazon.com CLAIMS that if the seller responds within this amount of time, they will not remove funds from the seller's account. However, they did remove the funds from my account. When I contacted customer service again, first they claimed I had never sent an e-mail, then later they admitted that I had sent it, but that since it was not a specific "response to Guarantee Claim Form e-mail" they were going to keep their decision to take my money as it stands, and that no further e-mails from me will be answered. The amazon site does not provide any form or address to respond to "A-Z Guarantee Claims," so it is hard to see how my e-mail to customer service could have been a more specific "response to Guarantee Claim Form." The buyer in question has recently done this to another seller as well, but Amazon.com does not care. They say "we will apply our policies equally to all customers." Therefore, all sellers are vulnerable to this scam!

8162fd8f, 2008-03-05, 09:09PM CST

I too have been scammed twice by the Amazon A-Z Guarantee.

The buyers are saying the item is materially different from what I advertised when I am fully aware that it is not.

Also, someone said they never received their item.

I incur shipping cost and then get debited the money I deserved for the item.

I will never use Amazon Again.

5540f19f, 2008-03-21, 10:20PM CDT

You are right.... they allow buyers to get remorse and get refunds and they buyer can lie to get refund and we are not given a choice to refund.

a56352e8, 2008-04-30, 09:45AM CDT

I too have just received the "shaft" from amazon.com. I sent a Creative Zen MP3 player to an APO address (which according to the US Government is STILL in transit) and the buyer filed an A-to-Z claim against me. They (Amazon) have given the user back his money despite the fact the item I sold is still in transit and will in fact be delivered at some point. Meaning I just "gave" away my brand new MP3 player. I feel so violated and there's nothing I can do. I can't even file a claim with the post office because the item is "still in transit". I wish I knew how I could fight back this online injustice.

I will NEVER, EVER again in my life sell anything through Amazon.com. Their A-to-Z program is seriously flawed and the way they DO NOT protect their seller is wrong as well. I am out both my item and $235 dollars. I am a college student so for me that's a big amount of money. I feel physically sickened by this, and even though I have been selling and buying online for years now, this experience has painted a dark over what was once an enjoyable experience for me.

Shame on you Amazon! SHAME ON YOU!!!

3e5118e1, 2008-06-19, 08:19PM CDT

Up until yesterday, I was a seller on Amazon.com. Now, because of one dishonest customer, my account, with over 64 out of 65 positive ratings, has been suspended. Amazon not only refunded this jerk's money. Long story, but he gave me the WRONG ADDRESS, wrote me hostile, vulgar emails, threatened to ruin my ratings on Amazon, which he did, but because of his A-Z claim, suspended my account. To add insult to injury, they're now holding on to $465.15 in my hard earned money. I pray to sweet Jesus that some lawyer who wants to stick it to this deceptive, evil company, files a class action lawsuit on behalf of disenfranchised customers. I am their nightmare: Honest, articulate and I'll come armed with the facts!

353032a4, 2008-07-02, 10:07PM CDT

I also stopped selling on Amazon.com. Their A to Crap guarantee is a great opportunity for many buyer to steal. Some idiot called Jocelyn Stanick claimed that the item she received was materially different, and got her money back. When it comes to their A to Z Investigators, I just kept on receiving email from same 3 idiots, Brian, Vinod and Sastha, and their replies are never helpful, as they just repeat each other like f.... robots.

Ever wonder why you can call Amazon but not their retarded A to Z team?

1b732a02, 2008-08-10, 02:06AM CDT

If I were you, and the item was something a little more valuable, like the other commenter's mp3 player, I'd take the buyer's a$$ to small claims court. Then again, this is assuming that you live close enough.

BTW, if Amazon blindly enforces their biased policies like this, I agree that someone should start up a class-action lawsuit. In fact, next time this happens to you (assuing you sell on Amazon again), I'd threaten something to that tune when they say they will simply stop replying to your emails.

15b16a6f, 2008-08-30, 01:15PM CDT

As a long time Amazon video game reseller your experience with a buyer was always a concern for me too. Recently, I shipped a game to a military address (Iraq), the guy claimed he never got it - which he probably did not. Amazon pays media mail rates only and since the address was overseas I had to fill out a customs form and ship Priority Mail. Four months after thinking all was resolved and Amazon accepted my explaination, Amazon debited my card. They really only guarantee payment to themselves, and have no loyalty to resellers making them thousands for using only their canned software (storefront).

90514772, 2008-09-09, 10:56AM CDT

I have been a recent victim as well. I have a woman who ordered a book for her son at a university. I sent it the very next day and got order confirmation on it.

Well 20 days later she claims her son has never recieved it. So i made a few calls of my own and contacted the unveristy dorm room who has informed me that the textbook package is sitting in their office waiting to be picked up. I have emailed Amazon and am awaiting their response.

what angers me is that they asked all kinds of information from me and it seems they never followed through, they just told me to refund her payment a couple hours later. Why am i, the seller, being a mother to some college brat who doesn't know how to check his mailbox?

how is this my fault?

i hope they see my point in this as well, because if they don't i'm going to complain as high up as i can to get my money back. I am not giving away that textbook for free, i am a college student myself who worked hard to buy that book and the only thing i am guilty of is selling it back for cheaper to some brat who doesn't know how to check his mailbox.

75f1ef41, 2008-10-04, 03:44PM CDT

Welp i have been selling on amazon for over 5 years and as of today no longer...1 neg feedback out of 200 and i get suspended....the buyer that left bad feedback will not even email me back....there feedback and A-Z Guarantee system is just pathetic.....if you get 1 A-Z Guarantee claim they will freeze you're whole account no questions asked....No seller protection at ALL!!!!

b5fa3b3f, 2008-11-13, 01:53PM CST

I just got an attempted extortion attempt from a guy who informed me he is keeping my DVD that he got AND he wants a full refund or he is giving me negative feedback.

I let the clown know that extortion via email is a Federal Offense. Now I am in the claims process with Amazon who just suspended my account. Certainly I will lose because Amazon NEVER takes the side of the seller but I am not going down without a fight. They have a couple hundred dollars locked up for 90 days. Oh well there are other ways to make a buck.

Anyone up for a Class Action? As I see it they are taking one side and not being a disengaged third party. That is a violation of their charter and hence it is probably illegal.

2bac3c9a, 2008-12-24, 12:11AM CST

I got a new one today - I shipped a book on 12/20/2008 to a guy in Hawaii, using USPS media mail - the lady at the post office said it would take at least 10 business days to get there. I shipped the book on a saturday. Today, 12/23/2008, tuesday, the guy sent me an email saying he was unsatisfied with the condition of the book and wants a refund. How in the heck does he have the book already???? He doesn't. There is NO WAY. According to the post office, media mail to Hawaii goes on a SHIP! What is going on here? I sent Amazon an email about the potential scam, but I suspect that they will refund him his money anyway.

1933b3e4, 2009-01-09, 04:37PM CST

Same happened to me, the buyer states I sent him a wrong book (the one which I haven't seen in my life), but I am 100% sure the book was what is was supposed to be. I can swear to God I am not lying! I called to amazon, and they just suggested I refund that order, but why, I payed for shipping and I sent him the book, and now I am out of MY money twice! Very-very bad situation and no protection for the seller. I am pretty sure the buyer is lying, but how can I prove that? No way... Never-ever will I sell something on amazon again...

P.S. Does anyone know what can be done in this situation to protect myself? Thanks!

bdf3e1bd, 2009-02-03, 12:49PM CST

I have in an email that the buyer received the book and then Amazon says after they talked to him that he didn't receive it. I sent them the tracking info that shows it was delivered. Amazon says it has to be signature confirmation. Well Amazon only gave me 3.99 shipping credit to send it media mail, I bet that would not even cover the signauture confirmation fee and the shipping cost. They would not acknoledge the buyers email to me stating that he had received it. i plan on talking Amazon.com to small claims court. They can't keep getting away with this. I wonder if they have ever been sued before?

cc47a758, 2009-07-10, 02:43PM CDT

I am also a victim, and in addition to this a member of leadership team at the Amazon Seller department lied to me. His name is Scott (1500 South 48th Street Grand Forks, ND) Phone number: 701-787-3500. I desired to speak with the office supervisor, and I was transferred to Scott. Immediately my warning flags went up. I asked Scott if he was the supervisor of the leadership team and he paused and attempted to change the subject. I asked Scott again if he was the leadership team supervisor. He paused again and said "yes." I could tell he was lying, so I said, "Scott are you lying?" Scott replied, "Yes." At that point in time I requested to speak to his supervisor to inform them of this unethical behavior. Scott refused to transfer me to his supervisor. In fact, Scott hung up on me. In a second phone call Scott gave me a sham e-mail address, saying that his supervisor, Chad Hanson, "might" see it. I asked Scott the probability of his supervisor (Chad Hanson) seeing this email, and Scott refused to answer. In other words, Scott didn't want his supervisor finding out that he had lied to me. Scott attempted to tell me that he could handle everything (even his own unethical behavior, haha). What made Scott more angry is when I informed Scott that I'm a business ethics professor at a university. I find it sad that amazon employees will lie in order to protect people who use Amazon to scam legit customer, like me. I've generated over $5000 of business for Amazon, but I will never buy or sell anything through them again. I used to encourage my students (about 150 every semester)to buy their books through Amazon.com, but I will tell them to avoid Amazon. In fact, I plan to use this as a case study in my class and maybe in a future book.

ba3290a7, 2009-09-28, 10:48AM CDT

AMAZON.COM has NO REGARD for their sellers. Their so-called "A-Z Guarantee" provides ABSOLUTELY NO PROTECTION TO BUYERS.

I sold a $120 book to this guy. I sent the book the day after he purchased it...I also purchased Delivery Confirmation on the item from the post office. The buyer IMMEDIATELY began to e-mail me saying that he hadn't received the book...MIND YOU...the day after I sent the book. I responded to EACH AND EVERY E-MAIL from him and told him that I had already sent the book and would be there in 2-3 days. He continued to harass me with e-mails. After 2 weeks of this, I sent him an e-mail and told him there was nothing I could do and to please stop contacting me. I had delivery confirmation for his order. I told him that he had received his order 2 weeks ago.

TWO WEEKS AFTER...the guy filed a claim with Amazon, claiming he hadn't received the book. He told Amazon he was forced to buy the book elsewhere because mine hadn't arrived. He demanded for a full respond. I then responded with the tracking #, delivery confirmation documents, and copied all e-mails between me and the buyer. Nonetheless, Amazon sided with the buyer and told me that from here on, profits from every book I sell would go straight to Amazon until they make the $116 back.

I sent Amazon TWO E-MAILS claiming that I do not agree with their decision and would like them to reconsider. They didn't reply. I sent them another e-mail 4 days later. This is the e-mail:

______________________________

Good Afternoon,

I am writing this e-mail because I am extremely unsatisfied with Amazon.

Amazon writes their policies in the best interest of the buyer ONLY, without considering the seller. And I am completely disgusted.

I have listed several books for sale on Amazon.com. Each book that has been ordered has been sent promptly and with delivery confirmation.

In a specific case, there was an order placed for $138.99. I sent the book the following day and although the customer didnt request for delivery confirmation, I still purchased the extra service. The buyer began e-mailing me saying he hadnt received the book and I was very prompt in answering each and every single one of his e-mails. The book was received at his address a couple days later, and he was still sending me e-mails. (ALL OF THIS IS DOCUMENTED)

I am EXTREMELY disgusted with the way Amazon has handled this situation. I believe that to Amazon, both the seller and buyer should be treated with the same respect. The buyer should not have 100% guaranteed protection.

This buyer in particular did the following: he ordered the book and he immediately began e-mailing me STATING he hadnt received the book. I sent him delivery confirmation and a week later he filed a claim stating he never received it, mind you filed it weeks after the delivery dateweeks after I had told him the delivery had been confirmed. Why didnt he act immediately? Why did he not file a claim the moment I told him I had confirmation??

Regardless, I sent the book & I have confirmation of it being received. So why am I being penalized?

Also, I would like Amazon to take the following into account: The buyer claims that he had to purchase the book elsewhere because he never received mine. The buyer stated in his claim on 9/9/2009:

"I have been contacting the seller since the order was placed because I needed the book with Urgency. the seller keeps on saying that the book was end, the last time the seller said that she had confirmation that it delivered at my address, however, the selles never gave me a tracking number nor I have signed for this book delivery. I did not received the book, at this point I had to buy the book from another source and I want a full refund on this order. thanks "

In this claim, the seller stated that he had to purchase the book elsewhere and this claim was made on 9/9/2009.

My question is the following: Does he have proof of this? Did he send Amazon a copy of this receipt? And, if Amazon asked for a copy of the receipt, is the date on the receipt before 9/9/2009??? Because according to his claim, he purchased a book on or before 9/9/2009 because he hadnt t received mine. So if this is true, he should have sent a copy of his receipt to AMAZON.COM, right? If he has no receipt, it leads me to believe that he never in fact purchased a replacement book, which means he never needed to purchase a replacement book because he already had one: mine.

As a buyer, when I place expensive orders, I make sure to request for signature confirmation or sending through UPS/FED EX. I typically go out of my way to request for it because as a BUYER, I am the person who is taking the risk in choosing STANDARD MAIL for my order to be delivered.

I would very much appreciate AMAZON to reconsider this claim and reconsider the policies which only serve to protect the buyer. I would also very much appreciate for Amazon to SEND ME a copy of his receipt for the new book he claims he purchased. This way, if he did order a new book, he has proof of this reflecting a suitable date (Although it is possible for him to purchase it and simply return it), but at this point, anything would be useful.

__________________________________

I have removed ALL my listings off Amazon.com and will never work with them again. And to top it off...when I called customer service and complained about this, customer service told me that they make sure to investigate all claims and are able to figure out whether or not the buyer did in fact receive the order. I asked them how this is done, and they told me... "We call the buyer personally and ask if the order was received."

So I have a message for Amazon:

I am going to warn all of your potential customers about your disregard for your sellers...because last I checked, although we're sellers on your website, we're still CUSTOMERS to you. I won't be selling with you anymore.

ba3290a7, 2009-09-28, 10:58AM CDT

TWO WEEKS AFTER...the guy filed a claim with Amazon, claiming he hadn't received the book. He told Amazon he was forced to buy the book elsewhere because mine had not arrived. He demanded for a full respond. I then responded with the tracking #, delivery confirmation documents, and copied all e-mails between me and the buyer. Nonetheless, Amazon sided with the buyer and told me that from here on, profits from every book I sell would go straight to Amazon until they make the $116 back.

I sent Amazon TWO E-MAILS claiming that I did not agree with their decision and would like them to reconsider. They did not reply. I sent them another e-mail 4 days later. This is the e-mail:

______________________________

Good Afternoon,

I am writing this e-mail because I am extremely unsatisfied with Amazon.

In a specific case, there was an order placed for $138.99. I sent the book the following day and although the customer did not request for delivery confirmation, I still purchased the extra service. The buyer began e-mailing me saying he had not received the book and I was very prompt in answering each and every single one of his e-mails. The book was received at his address a couple days later, and he was still sending me e-mails. (ALL OF THIS IS DOCUMENTED)

This buyer in particular did the following: he ordered the book and he immediately began e-mailing me STATING he had not received the book. I sent him delivery confirmation and a week later he filed a claim stating he never received it, mind you he filed it weeks after the delivery date, weeks after I had told him the delivery had been confirmed. Why did he not act immediately? Why did he not file a claim the moment I told him I had confirmation??

My question is the following: Does he have proof of this? Did he send Amazon a copy of this receipt? And, if Amazon asked for a copy of the receipt, is the date on the receipt before 9/9/2009??? Because according to his claim, he purchased a book on or before 9/9/2009 because he had not received mine. So if this is true, he should have sent a copy of his receipt to AMAZON.COM, right? If he has no receipt, it leads me to believe that he never in fact purchased a replacement book, which means he never needed to purchase a replacement book because he already had one: mine.

__________________________________

So I have a message for Amazon:

7e3131ae, 2009-12-04, 12:55PM CST

Visit http://www.amazonstealth.com/ for a complete guide on how to get back on Amazon after getting suspended. Guaranteed new account with their eBook!

- Also there is more things that Amazon tracks besides cookies on your computer. Find out more by reading the eBook! Plus you can even get it for free on their site!

2e4e03ab, 2010-02-16, 11:27AM CST

After Amazon encourages their buyers to cheat the resellers, they will destroy their resellers without verifying claims. Read the complete details at http://www.amazonresellers.info/amazon-buyer-scams.html

0b3691c8, 2010-04-27, 02:46PM CDT

Amazon is a good revenue source plain and simple.

You can choose not to ever sell on Amazon again, but you will LOSE MONEY. So whats your alternative? Grab yourself the Amazon Stealth ebook like I did and get back to selling.

The bottom line is that if you don't you could spend hours of trying to get your items sold, and may end up not selling it at all on 3rd tier websites...

Its up to you guys, i bought the ebook and I was more than happy with the purchase as I got back on quickly and easily.. ;)

e85b7b35, 2010-09-17, 12:35AM CDT

I just recently discovered another beauty of the Amazon policies: If the buyer provides a bogus address, like one that the PO does not deliver to, they tell the seller to cancel the order. In other words, bye bye shipping fee and hope to goodness that the USPS does not loose your item in return. Forget about getting it back if you used "Media Mail". Pretty lame considering I have been using the "Purchase Postage" option on the Amazon Seller site and they don't even bother checking the validity of the address before charging you for the postage! I have a suggestion for all those burned out there...do the same to another seller just enough to get even. That will eventually force Amazon to change things.

cbe40b40, 2010-10-10, 10:49AM CDT

I believe that if the seller agrees to pay for return shipping - no credit should be given UNLESS the customer returns the product. Amazon seems to agree, BUT only when it applies to THEMSELVES. for merchants they are very liberal in debiting and closing accounts for AZ complains substantiated or not - so, I basically treat them likewise. I bought an item from them, and it was not EXACTLY as they advertised it so.. here is the emails... read from the bottom up... xxx and 999 - 000 are masks...

read and weep.. or laugh...

FINAL

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $999.99 for your Order xxxx.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: xxx

Quantity: 1

ASIN: xxxx

Reason for refund: Wrong item was sent

Here's a the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: $00.00

Item Tax Refund: $0.00

Shipping Refund: $0.00

Shipping Tax Refund: $0.00

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

Visa Credit Card [ending with 0000]: $999.99

Refunds typically complete within 10 business days and appear as a credit on your statement.

Have questions about our refund policy?

Visit our Help section for more information:

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company

Note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Hello,

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your order.

I've requested a full refund of $111.07 for your return, since you received the wrong item. This refund will appear as a credit on your Visa card in the next 2-3 business days.

Please go ahead and return the wrong item--we'll pay for return shipping. Follow the link below to print your mailing label:

We'll send you an e-mail once we receive your return.

It appears that the e-mail you received is from our A-Z investigations team. Please note that Amazon policy is different from Amazon Market place sellers. Please visit the below link and forward the e-mail which you received on Jan 1, 2001 so we can assist you.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

I hope this information helps. We look forward to hearing from you.

I'm committed to providing world class customer service. Please tell me how I did by clicking the appropriate link below.

Did I solve your problem?

If not, I'm very sorry. Please click the link below. You'll also have the opportunity to contact Amazon via phone for immediate help with this problem.

Best regards,

xxxa K

---- Original message: ----

CUSTOMER: xxx

COMM ID: xxx

EMAIL: [email protected]

DATE: 10/09/10 21:43:12 PDT

COMMENTS: as per your email dated 12.00 today. asking me to return the purchase. I hereby advise you that according to AMAZONS policy I should not be burdened to take the effort to package and return a product that is misrepresented.

I refer you to email that I received from Amazon on 9/9/9 were it is explicitly stated that the buyer is NOT required to return the item I quote

"We have reviewed the buyer's claim and the information you provided. As mentioned previously, the item you sold was different from the item referenced on the product detail page. As such, the buyer is not required to return the item to you and is entitled to a reimbursement."

I ask that you immediately credit my account

Sincerely

xxx.

Hello,

I'm so sorry the information about xxxx was incorrect when you placed your order. I understand if you'd rather not keep it given the circumstances. Please return it and we'll refund you in full--including shipping costs. Because the return is a result of our error, we'll pay the return shipping costs, as well.

To return this item I've created an authorized return label that may only be used for the return of this shipment. Follow the link below to print your mailing label:

If clicking the link doesn't work, you can also copy and paste it into your browser's address window or retype it there. The page above contains instructions on printing your label, preparing your package for return shipment, and finding the UPS drop-off location nearest you. If you don't have a printer, write back to us to let us know:

To track your package on its way back to us, use the following UPS tracking number: xxxxx. Track your return here:

Expect your refund within 4 weeks of giving your package to the return shipper. In many cases, you'll receive the refund sooner. See our Returns Policy for details (http://www.amazon.com/help/returns#receive).

I hope this helps. We appreciate your business and hope we'll see you again soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:

If no, please click here:

Best regards,

xxxx.

Amazon.com

Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.

---- Original message: ----

---------------

09/09/09 12:00:00

Your Name:xxx

Order Id: xxxxx

Comments:the xxx I received is completely different than the xxx as shown on Amazon. the band is described:

xxxxx and the picture is totally different than the actual xxx

As per Amazons rules and regulations I hereby demand an A-Z refund

If a seller has clearly misrepresented the condition or details of an item in a way that affects its value or utility, it is "materially different." In such cases, that seller should be willing to offer a refund when contacted within 14 days of receiving the item.

Sincerely

xxxx

Selected Order Items:

xxxxx

0d36d56d, 2012-04-05, 12:42PM CDT

I'm sorry to hear that the A-Z guarantee is so bad for sellers. Try insuring your shipments. A-Z guarantee is also unfair to consumers. Won't help with my purchase of expired worthless software because package has been opened but how can you know it doesn't work untill you try it?

ddf64d43, 2012-04-30, 05:25PM CDT

Yea, no shit. I sold a $300.00 laptop, and the buyer wanted to return it because he was too stupid to install the driver it needed, so told him to return it for a refund. HE RETURNED IT IN AN ENVELOPE!!! WITH THE CHARGER ON TOP. NO PADDING, NOTHING!!!! SO NATURALLY, IT WAS BROKEN WHEN I GOT IT BACK. I took many photos, and forwarded them to amazon. I told him I wouldnt refund him, and he opened a claim. AMAZON eventually denied his claim and asked me to return the computer to him, which I did. Now I receive an email from Amazon a week later, that I have to contact the buyer and arrange to have him ship it back AGAIN, because they claim the item was not listed properly! CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! Now I have spend 45.00 shipping, and plan on receiving back a BROKEN USELESS LAPTOP! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

108c21ca, 2012-10-03, 06:49AM CDT

Does anyone want to start a class action for this? Me too was screw in this stupid A to Z program they have

9b058ed9, 2012-10-08, 01:45PM CDT

I am currently undergoing a situation like this. I shipped 4-volume, 6000 page, scientific reference books using "Media Mail" with delivery confirmation for $250. I brought it to the post office and shipped it out--it was a 38 pound box among very light shipments, not something you forget easily. I distinctly remember asking the post office clerk if it's too heavy, and he said no. The package was successfully delivered to the location (a laboratory).

The buyer sent me an email later, claiming that the box arrived with only 2 of the 4 books in it. He claims the box was sealed when he received it, but with only 2 books in it.

Possibilities:

--The box somehow opened, two (GIGANTIC) books fell out, and the post office re-taped the box without putting the books back in.

--Post office employees STOLE the books from it, seeing that it was valuable and uninsured.

--The business that received the book has a mail processing facility that lost or stole two of the books, and re-taped the box.

--The BUYER IS LYING and claims that two of the books weren't there.

There is absolutely no way to prove the buyer isn't being honest. Therefore, any buyer can seemingly just remove half of the items from an order and claim they didn't get them.

He has not opened an A-Z claim yet, but after reading this string, I'm sure he will and I'm sure he'll win. It makes me question the validity of his complaint, because he hasn't opened a claim yet--you'd think that'd be the first thing someone would do if they receive half of a shipment. The post office claims they are investigating it and were supposed to call me back by close-of-business yesterday to let me know what's happening.

I will, of course, insure shipments of this value in the future, so that if someone tries to screw me, I can at least pass getting screwed onto the post office (and therefore, the American tax-payer).

I have yet to see the outcome of this, and I'll add an update if I get screwed (which it seems like I will be). So, in the end, because I decided to sell something on amazon and make them money, I am out the cost of shipping ($17) AND out two of the books, each worth about 75 dollars (most likely).

Hopefully, this buyer is lying and can't get away with this. (If the buyer isn't lying, then the post office stole/lost my books and then re-sealed the box!!! WTF!)

If I reimburse the buyer AND am out two of the four books, I will never use Amazon again.