Regency Furniture Layaway Cancellation / Unfair Treatment

Posted on Monday, February 14th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by f2df1047

Company: Regency Furniture Layaway Cancellation / Unfair Treatment

Regency Furniture Layaway Cancellation / Unfair Treatment

Regency Furniture Outlet 7900 Cedarville Road Brandywine, MD 20613

On October 16, 2004, I placed a China Cabinet on layaway at the Regency Furniture Store in Largo, MD. I went into the store on February 16, 2005, to cancel the layaway to cancel the layaway and to purchase something else. The manager told me that it would be a $135.00 cancellation fee taken from my deposit of $335.00. I told him that was rediculous. Another came over an cancelled the layaway and he cancelled at 10% of my deposit, $35.00.

He signed the agreement and gave it back to me. Now, I did get irate before then but that was only because the manager was being very disrespect to me. After I left the store, Regency called me and told me that they made a mistake. I told them I was not coming back into that store after the way they treated me. So, I went to another Regency Furniture store in Brandywine, MD. The manager at Largo must of called the manager in Brandywine because he was waiting for me at the store.

The sales associates followed me around the store in packs. Finally, someone offered to help me, so it appeared. I told her that I had a store credit and that I wanted a barstool. She wrote the paperwork up and had me sign the purchase invoice. She walked me up to the counter to get in line and then came back and said she couldn't sell it off the floor because it was the last one. She told me to come back in 10 days. I didn't believe her because this was an item from the floor so I told her to show me something she could sell me that day. Oh, and by the way, the entire time she was writing up the invoice 3 or 4 associates were lingering around the area and it was obvious that they were up to something. I just didn't catch it at that time what was about to happen. Well, I picked out another stool, again she wrote up the invoice and walked me up to the counter. She told the manager behind the counter that I had a store credit, "And he said, says who?" She said to me "He's just joking". I said "I know, I caught that".

She told the manager who I only know as Amid that there where other chairs on the floor and told her that she needed another manager's signature. She even asked another associate to confirm and he said "I didn't see any other chairs". She left and was gone for about 10 minutes. She didn't return with the invoice or the chair. When I asked what was going on she said she was helping another customer. I told her forget it and asked her for the corporate office's number. She said this is the corporate office. I asked her for the manager's name and she said she that there were alot of managers there. I said well, is he, the manager behind the counter the main manager and she said, no. I asked her his last name and she said "Oh, I can't spell it". Now, at this time I am very upset but I keep my composure because Regency had already got me upset once that day.

I asked the manager behind the counter his name and he said "Why do you need to know..Who are you?" I said I am a customer and he said "Well, I am currently helping other customers". This little charade went on well over an hour and in front of my children. I overheard the manager tell the clerk behind the counter to put it in as fast as you can. I left the store humiliated (by the way I am an African-American and the owners in this store are of Arab descent). In any case, I didn't receive my chairs and Regency didn't honor the store credit. I filed a complaint with BBB but I really need to know how to take this a step further. I just can't let them get away with this.

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_72836# Consumer

Anonymous, 2008-03-07, 11:41AM CST

I TO HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE LAWAWAY POLICY AT REGENCY I PUT A BEDROOM SET ON LAYAWAY I WENT BACK TO CANCEL THEY TOLD ME THAT IN ORDER FOR THEM TO GIVE ME CREDIT I WOULD HAVE TO BUY SOMETHING FOR 5000 ON ORDER FOR ME TO GET MY 100 CREDIT THAT IS CRAZY SO I SAID I JUST WANT SOMETHING ELSE I WAS TOLD THAT I HAD TO PAY THEM 1800 TO CANCEL MY LAYAWAY HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF SUCH

6677445a, 2008-03-10, 03:27PM CDT

If I were you all I would contact the media and put them on blast.

1f7456bd, 2008-04-05, 10:54AM CDT

On March 9, 2007 I placed several pieces of furniture in the layway just this lady and when I came back to the store to get something else for my $1150.00 I was told the same thing she was told. My purchase was made from the Largo, Md store. These people are very rude and inconsiderate. I was also told to cancel my layaway they would have to take 30% of each deposit. THats rediculous. I plan on going to BBB and Deparment of Consumer Affairs. Something must be done. Maybe the news should know whats going on.

e1bab01c, 2008-04-22, 10:59AM CDT

There is certainly something you can do. First, the corporate contact info on the their website. Second, call the local TV station and tell them your experience. I'm sure they will investigate this. Last but not least, which you've already done, complain to the BBB. They will contact you about your complaint and the store will have rectify the complaint.

b17c859f, 2008-04-23, 10:09PM CDT

I had a friend who went through the same thing and she got "Seven On Your Side" and was given a full refund. she had nnot cancelled but the furniture she paid for was no longer aviable but she got all her money back.

Also, the BBB is the first place I would start and ask them what else you can do.

Best of luck!

d92c6ac6, 2008-06-28, 08:14PM CDT

I have shopped at regency furniture several times and i feel that they were not only respectful but treated me like family. Its very unfortunate with what i have just read, but as a customer i feel obligated to let you know that Regency Furniture appreciates all of their customers with respect and appreciation.

61b1a757, 2008-07-23, 11:26PM CDT

You know its funny in a sad kind of way to hear customers say things like this. I used to work for Regency in Largo and then moved to Laurel when that store was opened. This was the kind of customer service that led to me quitting. I lost at least 3 customers that I know of because of similar cases. It got to the point that when a customer mentioned layaway I was reluctant to even make mention to it.

5fd158ba, 2008-08-21, 09:04AM CDT

To: 72836# Consumer

I would like to know if any other actions were taken prior to your complaint on the Largo and Brandywine Regency? Please send updates as they come. Thanks!

c93c5c84, 2008-08-23, 12:13PM CDT

Regency Furniture needs to be closed. Their customer service is absolutely horrible!! I bought a table at one of their "madness" sales. And after waiting 8 weeks and calling numerous times to both the store and the so called warehouse. I was finally told that my table would never be coming, that the morning that I called, they decided to cancel the contract with the manufacturer of the furniture that I purchased. Had I not been persistent in following up, I believe I would still be waiting, having received no call from them at all.

Poor customer service, poor business practices, just plain pathetic!

c36185c7, 2008-09-02, 09:39PM CDT

Sounds like a very frustrating day. I've had a few like that myself. I do not see the relevance in you stating your race or the manager's race though. Are you saying that they are racists? No, they're just idiots. I'm caucasian, and I've been treated like this too. Trust me, it's not a race thing. It's a service thing. Don't blame race on bad service. Happens to all of us.

f4fe15a3, 2008-11-15, 08:48PM CST

We arent really sure how to reply to this complaint due to the overall vagueness, irrelevance, and the overall incriminating nature of this complaint. First of all, Regency Furniture does not, nor has it ever offered a layaway option. What we do offer is a price-hold option, which basically guarantees that the price of the purchased item remains the same from the day it was originally purchased so long as its paid off within 90 days. We understand that the customer felt irritated by our cancellation policies, but we do ask that customers read our contract before signing the legally-binding contract (this is clearly printed on the contract in front of the invoice.)

Regarding the behavior of the employees at the store, we try our best to provide excellent customer service. Salespeople are paid by commission and thus may be likely to follow a customer around (especially if theyre not aware of the situation, as in this case) in order to attend to their needs and answer any questions the customer may have.

As far as the customer implying that there were racist practices at Regency Furniture. Id like to say that nobody of Arab decent owns the company though there are a few managers of middle-eastern origin. And to add to this, the racially-biased implication that the customer was making is not only irrelevant (as racial-identity had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of this situation) but its also clearly an attempt to smear and incriminate the company in order to make their story seem more credible. The villainization a minority in order to seem more credible is not only offensive; its also clearly unfair and malicious. If Regency Furniture participates in racially-biased practices, not only would the company have been shut down, it wouldnt have grown as rapidly as it did, so that maliciously biased argument is clearly illogical and holds absolutely no merit. Our company is diverse, both ethnically and culturally, and this is done in order to make sure every single customer who walks in to our showrooms feels comfortable and has someone to communicate with in the event that English is not their first language.

Wed like to apologize for any perceived mistreatments in our stores. Regency Furniture is constantly making sure that it provides the best customer service in order to produce as much customer satisfaction as possible. If a customer has any problems with the way an agent of our company treats them during their time here we not only welcome, but also urge the customer to complain to our customer service department. However, please do not mistake disappointment with racism as they are two very different things.

f4fe15a3, 2008-11-15, 08:53PM CST

As far as the customer implying that there were racist practices at Regency Furniture. Id like to say that nobody of Arab decent owns the company though there are a few managers of middle-eastern origin. And to add to this, the racially-biased implication that the customer was making is not only irrelevant (as racial-identity had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of this situation) but its also clearly an attempt to smear and incriminate the company in order to make their story seem more credible. The villainization of a minority in order to seem more credible is not only offensive; its also clearly unfair and malicious. If Regency Furniture participates in racially-biased practices, not only would the company have been shut down, it wouldnt have grown as rapidly as it did, so that maliciously biased argument is clearly illogical and holds absolutely no merit. Our company is diverse, both ethnically and culturally, and this is made sure in order to make sure every single customer who walks in to our showrooms feels comfortable and has someone to communicate with in the event that English is not their first language.

55400287, 2008-11-28, 12:54PM CST

The same thing happened with my son and his girlfriend. They put a sofa set on lay-away at the Laurel store and they had over $500.00 in theirs and tried to cancel. They were told no refund and wouldn't even let them buy something else with the money. I happened on this complaint because I am currently looking at living and bedroom furniture but now I know where not to shop.

a5cda72f, 2008-12-01, 04:27PM CST

I'm sorry but grow up. Regency is a great store, with GREAT prices, & wonderful staff. If you we're treated unfairly or wrong you had to have done something to have them do that. & by the way stores dont call each other & warn them on their customers. Get over it.

2ad14816, 2008-12-19, 10:10AM CST

I am a recent customer of the Regency in Brandywine. Honestly I was quite comfortable with the service I recieved from the store. I purchased a living room and bedroom set for $7500 using Citifinancial as a credit source. I brought approx. $900 cash to place additional items on layaway. Recently I have lost my job. I called this morning to cancel my layaway items, knowing the loss of income will prevent me from being able to purchase these items in the future. When I googled the store address in order to get the telephone number, I stumbled upon this website and other consumer complaint sites. I read the numerous complaints about this store and surrounding outlets. Particularly the layawy complaints stood out out. I still needing to cancel my layaway and liquidate the cash reserves, called the store. I was told, and had it repeated to clarify, that in order to cancel a layaway I must pay a 30% cancelation fee, and that I could only use the remaining cash as a store credit. After hearing the confirmation of the information given on this site, I am now terrified. When I purchased my sets, and put the accompinig merchandise on layaway,(which the sales persons suggested), I specifically asked one sales person if I would be able to get my money back if I changed my mind. She said, and I quote, " Yes, however I believe there is a re-stocking fee." I was given the impression, as layaway is defined, that I had the option to complete my purchase later or to terminate the invoice and cancel the purchase. I had no idea that this company was intraping me. I feel as though I was manipulated in order to get more cash out of my wallet. All of a sudden the money is nonrefundible!?! Isn't that against the law? Shouldn't this policy have been clearly explained. Or is it permissible to lull someone into a fasle sense of security, and have them participate in a binding transaction that they are unaware of. When they applied me for the line of credit, all of the provisions were stated up front. How is this detail any different?

These practices are unexceptible. I'm sitting on $900, no job, and a mortgage. If I had known that I could not have my money back I would never have given it.

Anonymous, 2009-02-06, 08:55AM CST

Since you are from this area (Md/Dc) you should call 7 on your side the channel 7 news station that have gotten to the bottom of things like this, gotten peoples' money back, and have exploited the company's wrong doings at the same time. Having read your complaint I have decided to look else where for layway furniture. Hope you get this message and good luck!

33aacada, 2009-08-17, 10:28AM CDT

There is clearly a problem with the practices @ Regency Furniture. I have purchaced over $15,000 worth of furniture in the past year, although I had a wonderful African American sales person who was friendly as well as knowledgeable about the furniture, I was still skeptical about some of their practices. But after talking to the Manager at Largo and getting what I wanted in writing before I paid for the mechandise, I was quite happy. Wjhich brings me to a couple of months later, My husband and I went to Regency in Brandywine, MD, we were (i thought) lucky enough to get the same salesperson we had i Largo. We ended up purchasing a set for our living room, while we were there, there was a older couple having a dispute about something they had purchased, after listing to the argument of them screaming how many thousands of dollars they have spent in there, I was alarmed about them giving them what amounted to a twenty something dollar discount on a item Regency mistakenly gave them. That should have been the bell to go off in my head (and really read and ask more questions, before making the purchase, but I was so happy to have finally find something I wanted for this particular room in my house, that I just went against my better judgement.

With all that said, when my furniture was being delivered, I was told that it did not fit in my door, I was upset but figured if it doesnt fit, then just take it back. Thats when I was told that I had to pay a 30% cancellation fee, which was rediculous. 30% would have been about $2,700.00 hundred dollars, After debating with the manager who in formed me that I had signed a form stating this, I check my invoice, and on the back in very light print there it was. I was livid. I told them I dont care how they get it in my house, but I paid for delivery so thet better get it in there, I will not be giving them anything. Regency is growing because they have the best furniture in the region at this time, but when enough customers go through what me and others have been through with them, they will fall as quick as they rose. TRUST ME!

b50c1b66, 2009-08-26, 09:30AM CDT

This is just an outright lie! Regency post their 'layaway' policy at the front of all their stores. Their associates are quick to offer you a lay away when they see they aren't going to get a quick sale. I feel badly for this customer and Regency ought to be ashamed of themselves for treating someone so poorly. Someone (ones) ought to lose their job!!!!!

903f6621, 2009-08-28, 08:01AM CDT

Wow, I was going to try and look for a chair on line. I don't think a customer would take the time to write such a large complaint if it weren't true. I have purchased something from the Largo store, however I bought the item and carried it home, therefore I had no problems.

Poor customer service bothers me.

9a11d7a6, 2009-09-12, 07:50PM CDT

I have purchased two leather chairs from

Regency furniture on layaway. I was told

layaway, not assumed. Nor was I told

my purchase was a buy hold. I like my

purchase item and paid in a timely

fashioned. If layaway is not the terms

of the agreement, salespeople need to

make it clear b4 purchase. Although

the written word always override the

oral, customers should not be mislead.

From the complaint, I know the cus-

tomer said she was upset( I believe it

worst than stated in the complaint)

which people should read their return

and cancellation policy before

addressing management. IF you are

for the first time putting something in

layaway or just purchasing an item,

READ,READ, READ or if you are too

lazy ask the manager, "What is your

return or cancellation policy?" This wil

save u and management a headache.

eb45eff7, 2009-10-05, 05:33AM CDT

I recently went to Regency Furniture and was treated pretty well at first. Up until we LEFT the store. Since then, our order has been messed up, theyve suddenly "dropped" items from our invoice and then suddenly they reappear. Its all such _____. Ahmeed also "helped" us - and was no such help. He was rude and completely unhelpful. I am not only contacting BBB but I am calling my credit card company.

Supposedly all correct items will arrive in the next week - so help me if they arent the right things. We put half down to "hold" our stuff and yet that night they sold our couch! They did not call or anything. We are very annoyed with this company and I honestly wish my boyfriend never saw their liquidation AD for the store in Brandywine. We would have never made this mistake.

Granted the furniture is nice - its made by Ashley Furniture - but a smarter route [and slightly cheaper] would have been Value City or Target.

They were all rude and ignorant. Im nto sure if Id say racist because Im in an interracial relationship and they treated us fine until it was over the phone.

Rude. Dishonest. Awful customer service and did not stick to the contract.

Ill be going to higher points if this does not work out.

14f98f80, 2009-12-03, 01:36PM CST

I HAVE WORKED FOR REGENCY AND I CAN SAY THAT THE MOST OF THE THING THAT THESE CUSTOMER ARE SAYING ARE TURE I HAD TO LEAVE THAT PLACE THE MANAGERS ARE VERY RUDE AND THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMERS OR THE WORKER ALL THEY WANT IS FOR THE STORE TO MAKE MONEY AT ANY COST NESS.

8602d3bf, 2010-01-04, 11:23PM CST

I put a king bed on layaway that was in the showroom when i came back someone else bought it the reply from them was they would have another one just like it never seen it or received my deposit back. I won't be going back. Good luck to all of you........

eb663274, 2010-02-08, 09:15PM CST

MY MOTHER PUT FURNITURE ON LAY-AWAY AT THE REGENCY IN HYATTSVILLE, MD AND WHEN SHE WANTED TO GET IT OUT THEY TOLD HER THAT IF SHE PAID ON IT THAT SHE WOULD HAVE TO WAIT 6 WEEKS TO GET IT SO WHEN ASKED ABOUT GETTING HER MONEY BACK THEY TOLD HER SHE COULDN'T . SO SHE WENT UP THERE AND WAS TOLD BY A DIFFERENT PERSON THAT THEY DON'T KNOW WHSY SHE WAS TOLD THAT WHEN HER FRUNITURE LWAS IN THE STORE SO SHE CAN ONLY GET STORE CREDIT AND SHE NOLONGER WANT TO DEAL WITH REGENCY BUT SHE IS LEFT WITH THE STORE CREDIT HELP PLEASE..............

b296c9e8, 2010-02-13, 07:03AM CST

I too am facing similar problems at recency furiniture in Langley Park MD. The item I brought was defective. I return it and than took a bedroom set. I went to the store to get something for my money and they were very rude and told me out of my 385.00 I am only intitie to 125.00 back. I am thinking about sueing regency even if I don't get back my money I like every one to know what kind of businesss the y run.

6a5d3693, 2010-03-23, 05:42PM CDT

It is unfortunate that whomever responded chose to respond to the one complaint that was the easiest to argue against. To say it plainly Regency Furniture is a fraud and should be put out of business they have the worst customer service and their furniture is cheaply made and they never review their items before they come to your home. When people make a purchase they should get what they pay for but it wont be long because what goes around comes around and Im sure they will one day treat the wrong person the wrong way and they will be held accountable for their injustice practice.

0440d777, 2010-03-25, 04:27PM CDT

You know I had a similar situation in terms of unfair price hold. I placed a payment which was 20% of the cost of the furniture down. I changed my mind the next couple days to get a refund. My husband went and found out we can't get a refund but store credit. So the next day we went to get a store credit on something else we needed right away and then was told, we had to pay 10% of the total cost of the item we placed on hold. I was so irate b/c the lady did not tell my husband the day before. We didn't even know that,that was the case because they failed to make that apart of their sales pitch. Yes all that info was on the back but no one said,do u know what our cancellation policy is. I think that that should be pointed out upon purchase. I was not happy and so haapen to run into another customer who had the same problem. They are not upfront about their return policy and just in for the money-sad to say.

c62291c5, 2010-04-09, 02:09PM CDT

It's been 3 years and I'm still awaiting a refund. My husband and I put a deposit down on a table and went back the same day and were told that they were unable to refund our deposit. Well Im not going to keep burning gas to go to Waldorf fighting over 10.00 dollar let them keep it I will just spread the word do not buy anything from Regency Furniture because they are a deadbeat company....

75c6f5a5, 2010-06-03, 07:26PM CDT

BUYER BEWARE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought an entertainment console from REGENCY in Brandywine,Md.on saturday May 29,2010. I went to pick it up on Tuesday June 1st, and found out that it was not put together and that I would have to pay extra to have it put together.(this entertainment console cost $455.00)the salesman never mentioned this assembly fee or that I would have to put it together.

Now ,I wanted to return it, because it did not look good with other furniture in my room. NOW THEY WANT A 30% RESTOCKING FEE and I can only get store credit, less the 30% fee.WHAT A RIP OFF

Sea W., 2012-10-10, 06:01PM CDT

On Lay-A- Away, I was purchasing a dining room table, chairs and bedroom set. I was government IT contractor with the Military at that time. The contract ended abruptly, before I could get back to pay the full payment and have the furniture delivered to my apartment. The customer service representative was very rude, telling me I wouldn?t get me down payment because the time had expired to pickup my furniture. I didn?t believe the hype, so I researched the State laws in Maryland regarding Lay-A-Away purchases that require that you may receive a automatic refund less 10%, regardless whether deadline for picking up your furniture has expired. As for the Caucasian person that had experience the same rude behavior at Regency Furniture as many of the African American customers, who claim that there is no racial discrimination just poor customer service. Take this in account, whenever you shop in a large black targeted customer base, run by other racial or ethnic groups (whites, Indian, Middle Easterners etc), they will always be discrimination against that black group of patrons. Shopping in a predominately white shop, store or neighborhood, the customer service will always be that much better ? it is expected. Exposing such unequal stereotype treatment against black patrons to management and media is the only way to stop it, not ignore it or believe it doesn?t exist like some Caucasians want to believe just because it didn?t happen to them (the privilege group in this country).

Sea (2012 10 10)