2000 GMC Safari van

Posted on Sunday, February 13th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by 31dd7d8b

Company: 2000 GMC Safari van

2000 GMC Safari van

I have a 2000 GMC Safari van. When I go up hills at full speed, the engine light comes on and it runs poorly. I took it in and was told it costs $2,000 to fix the problem, "possibly". I said are you not sure of the problem? Why do you say "possible" problem? I did not fix the car. Later, I learned that 2000 GMC Safari vans have a 200.000 mile extended warranty for their fuel injectors. I took it in and they flushed the system. This made the car run great for about a month. I took it back and asked them to honor the extended warranty and put in new injectors. They refused. They told me the problem was that "THE ENGINES DON'T DO WELL WITH THE GAS IN CALIFORNIA AND THE TOLL ROAD HILLS ARE TOO STEEP!"

I went straight into the Executive VP"s office of Allen GMC/Cadillac in San Juan Capistrano, CA. and told him what was going on. He dropped everything. Got the service manager, some other guy in a suit, and we all sat down in his office where they explained that GMC Safari Vans "DO NOT DO WELL WITH THE TOLL ROAD HILLS AND THE OTHER PROBLEM IS THE CALIFORNIA GASOLINE." It has been two months since this happened. I called the GMC main office in Detroit and they said all of their problems are handled at the dealer. So, here I am. Stuck with a van that can't go up hills and runs poorly on CA. gasoline. I hope you can post this or put it with others that have the same problem. Thanks, Chris T

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_72862# Consumer

5f0444b0, 2009-07-07, 01:11PM CDT

I have a 2000 GMC Safari AWD & experienced the same type of situation 2 years ago. I've been driving with the Service Engine Soon light on & off since then. The computer said problem was mass air flow controller. Later the computer codes said all cylinders were running lean. This problem may be the fuel pressure regulator. They are of a notoriously bad design. We would occasionally smell gas, but we could not find out where it is coming from. One mechanic said the same thing happened on a customer's Buick & it was the fuel pressure regulator. You can get a complete "spider" (with injectors & fuel pressure regulator) for $300.00 + $200.00 labor. I am in the process of having the "spider" installed in my van.

Stay tuned.