Arm & Hammer / laundry detergent

Posted on Friday, February 11th, 2005 at 12:00am CST by 509ff6f5

Company: Arm & Hammer / laundry detergent

Arm & Hammer / laundry detergent

Consumer follow-up message - February 11, 2005 - From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_72913# Consumer

Well, you will never guess what? After I sent this long complaint to you last night, I received an e-mail from Church & Dwight today stating that they would send a replacement coupon. They did not apologize though. Only time will if they will actually send a replacement coupon - they said they would two other times but did not follow through.

Thank you for having this service. It is a great way to vent and get closure even if the consumer problem does not get resolved.

PMR

Company:

Arm & Hammer

A division of Church & Dwight

Princeton NJ

My complaint is not only about the cheap packaging of Arm & Hammer laundry detergent, it is about the company that makes it - that company being Church & Dwight.

I am the type of consumer that will always contact a company when a product does not meet my expectations or the standards set forth by the company based on its advertising. I found out that so many products made by Church & Dwight were unsatisfactory, and in my opinion, fell well below their own personal claims. Apparently, they realized that I had this opinion (based on their files) and they treated me unfairly because of this discovery.

My latest complaint to Church & Dwight was about their Arm & Hammer laundry detergent. I had a bottle of it that was stored in my closet. The plastic bottle cracked on its own without being disturbed. Some of the contents of the bottle leaked out onto my wall-to-wall carpet. Since the laundry detergent was a bright blue color, it stained my tan carpet. Despite my best efforts to remove the stain, I could not. I had to call Service Master to come to my home and steam clean the carpet. They had a difficult time getting out the stain as well as all of the soap.

I called Arm & Hammer Customer Service Dept. (Church & Dwight) to let them know what happened. They asked me to send the entire bottle of laundry detergent to them. They did not want me to empty the bottle but to send it as it was with the remaining detergent in it. The person who helped me at the Post Office thought that was the most ridiculous thing she ever heard (as far as a company request). I agree.

In exchange for me sending back this cracked bottle of laundry detergent with its remaining contents, their customer service department told me that I was to get a replacement coupon for the laundry detergent. Even though I did exactly what they asked of me, the company did not send that coupon. Not only did they not send it, but when I called to check on that coupon, I was told that if I ever have any complaints in the future that they will listen but not do anything about it. To add insult to injury, they did not even respond to an online letter I sent to them that expressed my disappointment in the entire situation.

Again, I admit that I called Church & Dwight other times to complain about other products but I did not even realize that these products were all made by them. I did not do this deliberately - I was being an honest and forthright consumer. I feel that it is the responsibility of all consumers to complain when a product does not perform well. I feel that It is also good to compliment a company when a product proves to be fantastic. I did not know that I would be penalized for doing what I considered the right thing to do.

I hope this write-up helps consumers as well as other businesses. Consumers may now know what may happen if they call this company with a complaint....other businesses may be able to see what NOT to do if a consumer writes or calls with a complaint.

Sincerely,

PMR

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_72913# Consumer

bce3a680, 2008-08-02, 01:34PM CDT

I cannot say I have ever had any complaint regarding the packaging HOWEVER, I DO have a COMPLAINT about the QUALITY of this product since it was first introduced.

The thickness of the liquid had decreased substantially and the price has increased dramatically. When Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent was first introduced, it was a thick liquid with a pretty great cleaning quality. The cost was about $5.39 for 200 oz. at Walmart. Since then, the price has continued to go up and the quality has continued to go down!!! Now you cannot purchase the original A&H. It is now 2x and only 150 oz. for $8.69. When the 2x A&H came out, it was a thicker consistency however yesterday (8/1/08) when I purchased it, again, less thick, more runny!!

I thought A&H was almost (I hate to say it) better than Tide. Now . . I am ready to purchase crap at the Dollar Store and just add Baking Soda to it. It would probably be much cheaper and clean better than the CHEAP SHIT Arm and Hammer Laundry Detergent turned out to be!!!! Albany, NY Consumer

3e45c5e5, 2009-07-04, 06:10PM CDT

My wife has been trying to find a store that carrys Arm and Hammer HE laundry detergent in our area but have had no luck, we can find A & M detergents but not the HE. We want to try your product but can't find it. We live in the zip code area of 21157. Can you direct us were to look. We have tried Walmart with no luck.

3670dcce, 2009-07-28, 10:52AM CDT

This is a notice to all. Watch using arm and hammer laundry detergent. I do not concider myself as having sensitive skin however when I used this detergent I ended up with welts on my skin and a bactirial infection along with my fiance having the same thing. I even used less than the amount of detergent needed for the size of the load. I am literally on my second dose of antibiotics to try and clear this mess up. I seriously do NOT recomend this detergent to anyone!!!!

bfacfd61, 2009-11-09, 09:59AM CST

You should try Lowe's Home Improvement. I live in another area that does not have the HE in WalMart, but I can always find it in my local Lowes.

349d055a, 2010-01-11, 09:18AM CST

Im alittle confused. If the company has your previous complaints on file, obvioulsy you have had problems with their product before. Why would you continue to buy them? Trust me, the days of "the customer is always right" are long gone. Thanks to moving our manufacturing sector to China and India, there are at least two countries with potential new buyers who will pay the asking price and wont complain about quality. We're not as important as we once were.

4aa6de8e, 2011-05-06, 11:05AM CDT

I think its a shame I live in the urban erea have not receive any coupon can you please send me some coupon to lis todd 142 Delmar Place 1st, irvington, NJ 07111

aa6bf0a0, 2012-04-03, 12:00AM CDT

I had the exact same problem, only I wasn't as lucky and the product did not come out of the carpet - and I live in a rental. It is infuriating that a company would make a product that would stain carpet - when it is supposed to REMOVE STAINS! Not only did the detergent stain my carpet, but it left stains on the washing machine as well where a little had spilled. Are you kidding me? What is in this detergent that it stains white metal?!