Defective Kenmore Gas Water Heater Power Miser 9 - Kenmore Power Miser 9 hot water heater / Sears Canada repair

Posted on Sunday, August 14th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 713d36f4

Company: Defective Kenmore Gas Water Heater Power Miser 9

Kenmore Power Miser 9 hot water heater / Sears Canada repair

August 13, 2005

North Vancouver, BC

Re: Defective Kenmore Gas Water Heater Power Miser 9

Incident #1: The original hot water tank-gas Kenmore Power Miser 9 Model No: 409.734100, 40 US Gal was purchased and installed by Sears Canada in 2002. On Sat ,November 20th 2004, the hot water tank started leaking at the base, causing damage to our basement area. The tank had a big rusty hole at the bottom. This occurred at the early stage of the hot water tank’s 9-year warranty period. Our family was left without hot water for three (3) days. Finding the right person at Sears to fix the problem was another nightmare. We were given a toll free number, where we opened a trouble ticket. We later found out that the people @ Sears customer support do not deal with warranties and wanted to send a technician on site and charge us $65.00 to confirm that the tank is indeed broken. We explained that the hot water tank is beyond repair and needs to be replaced. We were referred back to Sears Capilano and were told that they do not deal with warranties either and we should call Sears Metrotown. We did exactly that and talked to Parts and Service department and were advised that a technician would come to replace the tank but we had to pay for it. I had to take 3 hours off work to provide access to the two sloppy techs Sears sent. Here is how much it cost me to replace your defective product: $24.75 - PST for the new tank $159.00 - Installation $35.00 – Haul away $68.75 – Gas permit $262. 75 – Total $18.39 – GST $281.14 – Grand Total Why am I being penalized for replacing your defective product still in warranty? It seems to me that since the tank and all other parts are covered by a nine (9) year warranty, so should be the labour. Incident #2: On Aug 4th 2005 the newly replaced hot water tank broke down and was leaking hot water at the base. Orange, rusty water was coming out from underneath in the same way as the first one. I looked through the pilot light window and noticed a rusty hole underneath the water tank. There was water damage to our basement again and we spend hours cleaning up the mess. This time the hot water tank was only 8 moths young. How is this possible? The tank is CSA and ANSI certified. What kind of cheap and inferior quality materials are being used in the manufacture of this Sear product? Could the steal used in this product be from recycled soup cans? In the owner’s Manual is says ‘’Thank you for purchasing Kenmore water heater. Properly installed and maintained is should give you years of trouble free service.’’ Really? I’m still waiting. The product was installed by Sears certified technicians and the tank has a sticker on it claiming that it is ‘’ Self Cleaning’’. It also says that Sears will replace or repair the unit if it fails due to manufacturing defect. Obviously, the problem is not with the installation but rather the tank itself. Why is Sears charging me for the replacement of their defective product? Location specifics: We live in North Vancouver and have no water meter installed at the house. The water is pure and clean. I have asked around the neighbourhood but nobody has experienced the same problem. The Sears technician, who removed the old and installed the new tank, is a certified plumber & runs a plumbing business, told me that this is quite unusual. I personally believe that there is a flaw / defect with your product and it is causing us grief. I expect to see a check for a full refund for what I was charged. If this new hot water tank fails within the warranty period again and I have to pay for useless Sears service again and waste my personal time cleaning the mess, I would park it on the side walk and put a big sign on it that reads ‘’ Don’t ever buy a Sears hot water tank.’’ I will contact a local plumbing business and have a real – reputable hot water tank installed and bill Sears Canada for the product and installation. I would like to hear back from an Executive level at Sears Canda as to why I should buy and use your product and how you are going to meet my expectations as a loyal Sears customer and stand behind what you sell and manufacture. Regards, Ned and Maria Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_46679#

a85eb06c, 2008-07-16, 07:05PM CDT

I live in southern California and am having a similar problem with a Sears Power Miser 12 water heater. I bought it in 2002 and it is 6 years old and now the tank leaks. They quoted a 6 day wait to send a tech to confirm that the tank is leaking. I called Chicago and got one out the same afternoon. Now that the tech confirmed the defective tank they are not living up to the warranty which states: "after 1 year and through 12 years from the date of purchase for water heaters used in a single-family residence, if a leak occurs in the tank, Sears will furnish a NEW CURENT MODEL water heater of equal capacity and QUALITY." Well, because the enviornmental laws were changed 7 months ago a new "lower emission water heater" is reqiured by code. They want to charge me $160 diffeerence for the "current model" which complies with the air quality law. They refuse to sell me one of the equal quality as provided by the warranty, saying it is NOT AVAILABLE in southern california. I therefore conslude that the one that IS AVAILABLE constitutes the "current model" and should be exchanged without charge to me! They are a bunch of LOSERS. I will NEVER purchase another product from SEARS. What happened to the old "Satisfaction Guarantee" it seems to have vanished over the years. Dan DeBusschere

41b12a60, 2008-08-11, 12:41PM CDT

I recently had the same leaking problem. My Powermiser 9 gas water heater supposed to be under 9 years warranty started leaking barely within two years. I had to pay over $350.00 labour costs to have the replacement heater installed. I have written to Sears to refund the labour costs and have waited two months without any response. I would like to take the matter to consumer court and would be glad to hear from others having similar problems.

1486faab, 2008-11-04, 07:05PM CST

my problem with the kenmore power miser 9 is with the flame always going out and tryed many things to correct it,like replace the thermocouple didnt help cleaned old thermocouple didnt help, they say there is a screen but cant find it,so I would like to find a manual somewhere. Can anyone help or email a copy to me. It is a power miser 9 and the model #is 409.734110 or even where I can find one. It is for mother in laws.

a4d72e93, 2008-12-15, 02:28PM CST

Hello,

I am having the same damn problem with Sears on same model Miser 9.

it is just under 4 years on a 9 year warranty

They will replace the tank but will charge me $396.74 for labor and disposal fee.

The damn thing flooded 1/4 of my basement. Now I find out that they could have recommended a overflow tray that can be only installed at the time a tank is placed. This would at least prevent flodd/water damage, but they never did when they first installed the tank 4 years ago.

I think that Sears is making more money by having service replacement calls so they don't bother with actually selling a good product.

I am without hot water for 3 days now (tank failure late on friday night and Sears on Sat said they could only get somebody to replace on monday afternoon. (at least I am not in Calgary where it is -30C today; it's only -10C in vancouver today)

c7e15cfd, 2009-10-24, 12:01PM CDT

we here in maple ridge have had the exact leaking problems as well as the hot water tank seems to turn of the heat if not used for a long period of time...if you are at work the entire dat=y and then try to use the hot water at say 10 pm there seems to be only a fraction of the 40 us gallons of hot water that is supose to be available!

we wnt throught 3 power miser tanks in 3 years. i would like to hear from anyone having similar no hot water issues.

Toney O., 2012-10-09, 11:49AM CDT

I have recently found a leak to the pressure relief valve on my kenmore power miser 9.

model 409.730670 serial L00148702.

170 us gal

what is the best way to remedy this ?

Thankyou Toney Ogden

413a2e1c, 2012-10-29, 01:01AM CDT

I bought model 409.737 160

(65 gallon model) I am in Sherwood Park and thankfully no problems. I hope they improve the customer support and time it takes to get a tech out. Being without hot water is a hardship none of us wants to endure. I bought this model over a year ago and thankfully no problems. I am going to check mine every few months though.

Update! IMPORTANT INFORMATION:

Sears Canada Inc is not BBB Accredited.

Businesses are under no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, and some businesses are not accredited because they have not sought BBB accreditation.

To be accredited by BBB, a business must apply for accreditation and BBB must determine that the business meets BBB accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints. BBB Accredited Businesses must pay a fee for accreditation review/monitoring and for support of BBB services to the public.

This is the link confirming a surprising fact: Sears isn't registered with the BBB? WOW! Time to get with the program Sears.

Robert Allyn L., 2012-10-29, 10:42AM CDT

WHy would they be?

The benifits of membership are very small and the complaint resolution process is available to all consumers and through that all companies regardles of membership.

If you file a complaint with the BBB Sears will have the same oportunity to reply as any other business.

Toney O., 2012-10-29, 12:54PM CDT

I have recently found that a source of my leak was in fact not part of the heaters challenges.

I have found that the city has reworked its' water system and installed new water meters.

while this is very accomodating for the city , they have neglected to advise their customers that by doing so they have eliminated the natural expansion factor,

By this I mean while there were no meters any expansion from heating the water resulted in the water backing up into the water system. While AFTER the installation there NOW is NO room for expansion except out the heaters by-pass valve , hence making customers THINK their hot water tank is on the fritz; when in fact all they really need is an expansion chamber attached to the cold water feed of the hot water tank: approx $60, NOT a new water heater

413a2e1c, 2012-10-30, 02:36AM CDT

That is still a complaint towards the BBB. This is their contractor.

If I hve a problem I cant% solve. With sears I will complaion to the BBB and explain the the company is not following their guidlimes for replacment. Sears failed tohave proper techs.

In y case gotta go now talk tomorow. Thr form the bbb has to fill out for complaoints isn't too bad. My hot water heater is still working so best of luck to all of you:

If one ofyou ever does file they a form, I would include , warranty replacements partsn

Photos, reciepts, any other details and the incedanmt

bd7093c8, 2012-12-29, 10:02PM CST

Sears MD Power Miser 9 225L # 409.734161 Electric Hot water Tank.

Bought in March 2011

Now it is Dec. 2012 and the water tank is leaking out the bottom, not liking the comments from many others dealing with Sears, it appears they sell "junk" quality products and I hope they will take care of this one. I will never shop there again though, and will keep posting to let you know how they will handle my situation.

1fe4fe7a, 2013-02-09, 10:23PM CST

( Regarding Kenmore hot water heater from Sears )

This is my third hot water tank from Sears and for sure the last one . People need to get on the internet and do some survey before buying these hot water tank from Sears , the work is terrible and so is the service and also expensive .

I must say that Sears is not what it use to be and it is very unfortunate but of course it's all about making money and run .

Alan .