Posted on Thursday, August 11th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 3b66242a

Company: Drive Time Rip-off, Unethical Business Practices, Lies and Overpricing, BEWARE! Torrance California

August 10, 2005

In November of last year (2004), having no other choice I went to Drive Time in Torrance California for the purchase if a automobile... unfortunately. After picking out a very nice, clean 2002 Ford Escort (one of only a few cars I was allowed to choose from) we sat down to do the deal. The price of the car was $10,000.00 and without any opportunity to do ANY negotiation on the price, that what I was forced to agree to, or walk home. At the time I did own a vehicle and I was told on the phone that I could buy insurance at the dealership since I did not have any. When speaking face to face with the salesman about the insurance he told me that the insurance was $150.00 for comp and collision and an additional $100.00 for liability. I was told that I was not required to buy the liability insurance in order to drive the car off the lot even though it is illegal to drive without it. I was also told that the $150.00/100.00 was a down payment on a insurance policy and that I would be billed for the balance on a six month policy, I could either pay it or get me own insurance. I asked the salesman that if I bought the insurance right then and got my own policy the next day could I cancel their policy and get a refund, the answer I got was "yes". So in order to have full coverage I paid the full $250.00, I put it on my check card. We then finished the deal and I drove home to Long Beach. The next morning I went out and ran some errands. When I got home I checked my bank account and saw that I was only charged $150.00, not the full $250.00. I then called the insurance company directly to find out why. I was told by one of their representatives that I was only given the comp and collision and NOT the liability insurance because the dealership failed to fax over a copy of my drivers license. I was very upset about this now knowing that I had been driving around without liability insurance, no one bothered to inform me about that fact. I then asked about the money being a "down payment" on an insurance policy and the rep told me that was incorrect, that it was nothing more then a one month binder to be added to Drive Times insurance policy. This made me very angry since I have a spotless driving record and full coverage insurance does not cost me more then $90.00 a month, certainly not $250.00! I then asked if the money was refundable as I had been told by the salesman and the answer was no. So, I got ripped off for $150.00 that I would NOT have paid had I been told the truth. I would have waited till the next day to take delivery after buying my own insurance policy. To this day after talking to many people/management at Drive Time I still have not received a refund. Drive Time does not stand behind what their employees claim, bad news! Within the last couple of months I have been to many dealerships to try to trade the car in on a new one. I want a new car with a warranty. My credit is now good enough for me to buy from almost anyone, there is only one problem. I have found out that after only 6 months of owning this car its value is $4,000.00, I owe $10,000.00. I owe $6,000.00 more then the car is worth. And with the 29.9% interest rate I am paying my deferred payment (total paid over the loan term) is $18,000.00. I understand now that the full retail value of the car when I bought it was at very best $8,000.00 with much room for negotiation at a creditable dealership. In other words I should have been able to buy this car for $6,500.00 to $7,000.00. Drive Time dramatically inflates the retail value for a improved profit margin, way outside the reasonable. Drive Time caters to folks that simply have no other choice and takes full and unfair advantage of them, me included. In my humble opinion this is unethical business practice. Also, Drive Time not only inflates the retail prices, charges the maximum interest allowed by law, they also charge fees for absolutely everything. They even charge $3.00 to take a payment over the phone. In my opinion Drive Time takes advantage of people in a bad way and do so in such a way that people are totally locked in so they simply cant go anywhere else. After my experience and seeing what others have gone through I would entertain being involved in any legal way to help bring them down, people like this don't deserve to be in business. PLEASE BEWARE! Scott

Long Beach, California

U.S.A. Click this link to e-mail the message author: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_46802#

5365d22f, 2008-04-17, 09:04PM CDT

I completely agree with this.

Right now I am fighting with DTCorp because I own a car that I purchase almost 2 years ago and have had nothing but harassing and nasty phone calls. One day late and they are already calling and threatening you. I have had nothing but issues with them. They refinanced me with out any knowledge.

I wanted to give a payment tonight for my car ( Which yes I am behind ) but they only wanted what they wanted, they said that the Repo guy was coming out to pick up the car ( 20 times already ) and that if I don't have the full amount I should just give the car back. I am feed up with there business practice and the way they treat us. I am way under this car for what its worth, I don't know were my money is going when I do make the payment and I think they need to be put out of business!!!!!

Virginia Beach, VA

PS If anyone is ready for a lawsuit I am with ya!~

5365d22f, 2008-04-17, 09:05PM CDT

I completely agree with this.

Virginia Beach, VA

PS If anyone is ready for a lawsuit I am with ya!~

aae45651, 2008-06-07, 06:01PM CDT

I absolutely AGREE with you. I'm In Smithfield VA and have been dealing with Drive time since April 27, 2006. The car at the time had 73K miles and the sale price was $13,000. With 29% interest...I was allowed ONLY 30 days to put extra money to "buy down" the interest rate. Well after a huge down payment...I have no extra money left!! So I'm stuck.

I got married...now getting divorced and had to move twice.. They don't care about the customer at all. When I couldn't make the full payment they put extra late charges and interest on the account. They tack all of this on the BACK end of the loan so your maturity date gets pushed further and further away. Was 2010...now it's 2011!

When I was finally CURRENT on my account...I made my payment ONE DAY EARLY. A week later... I get a call that my account is DELINQUENT! They took my early payment and applied it to the interest that they said was put on the END OF THE LOAN! I had to cough up more money...and until I paid it...they harassed me my family AND FRIENDS leaving messages.

I'm paying $424 a month...for two years that's over $10,000. If I give the car back..they threaten to sue me for the remaining $18000 on the contract even though the payoff is $11000.

RUN FAR FAR AWAY FROM THIS PLACE.

Cheap Wheels, Inc. said "Drive Time is just Charlie Falk on steroids." Well it took a class action lawsuit to fix Charlie.

Colonial Chevrolet said "Every DT customer that comes here is $3000 negative in their vehicle."

4466ce53, 2008-06-19, 09:45PM CDT

I also agree my mother in st pete fl, recked her car that she bought a drive time and they said that she had to pay 5,461 because her insurance covered all but that, and she was going to rent a car and they said if she didn't like it she could bring it back within 72 hrs and when she brung it in with 1200 dollars for a down payment to another car they said no, now she has to keep that car. because they didn't feel like putting the car up for sale again.

4d796974, 2008-08-07, 01:04PM CDT

I wished I would have looked up all this before I bought my 2005 Ford Taurus. Before I even signed anything we asked about the CD player that was missing from the car. The response was to call DT Repair and they would take care of it and if not call him back which was the manager and he would take care of it, never happened. Not the biggest deal. But then we started noticing more things wrong with the car as we drove it 3 hours to back to our home. When we talked to them they said no problem they did not have a repair shop where we live put take it to a licensed dealer and since it had not been 30 days we would not have to pay any fees. Wrong again. Also like yourself the car was raised from it's value and even though Drive Time said it was worth $8,0000 we are paying over $21,220.94. Tell me where are the morals in these people. When I called them to let them know though my payments have been on time, even early, that this payments would be a little late because I took it somewhere cheaper to get repairs then what they wanted me to pay, the response was thats what you get for buying a used car we need the payment or we will come get the car. Asked to speak to a manger and never got a response back. Moral of the story THANKS DRIVE TIME IN ALBUQUERQUE,NM.

d3329da9, 2008-08-30, 08:11PM CDT

I lost my job and I have been making payments on the car, especially after pulling my 401K to make my rent payments and paying other bills. I'm a single mother and trying to cope with all this is really stressful. I spoke with a very nice lady and told her my situation towards the end of July and she told me to make the payment that I was late on and that they would add on the month of August to the end of my contract. Well I get a call from another person this past week telling me that I am 17 days past due. I explained to him that I lost my job and that this other person had told me what they were going to do..So, he proceeds to tell me that I'm only able to do that If I'm employed and he asked me if I had gotten a job yet and I told that I had gone to an interview and that I was expecting a call this week. Then he tells me that I need to contact him back and tell him if I got the job or not and that I would have to make payment on Saturday...So obviously they don't care about their customers, it isn't my fault that I was told something to begin with...So where exactly am I suppose to get the money to pay my car note??? The guy gave me a call today telling me that I had until 12:30PM to contact him because this was the last day....for what exactly...I do not Know!!! He's probably going to try to get my car repo'd!!! So this will be the last time I get a car from this company..As soon as I get a job, I'm thinking of getting another car and using this one as a trade in...Well for those of you who are considering getting a car from this place....DON'T!!! Go to Driver Select!!!!

7a595e47, 2008-09-25, 01:27PM CDT

Thank god, when they were ugly duckling they ripped my wife off not once but twice. Now I drive around town and see many of their dealerships out of business.

e98d4c00, 2008-10-31, 08:31PM CDT

I am the mother of a customer of Drivetime. My daughter a single mother of 1 needed a car very bad in order to work. She went to drivetime on Joneboro Rd.in Atlanta,Ga. She fell on hard times and was late 1 day with her payment and thats when the harrasments started. They called everyone on her application, not to mention the number of times and hours of the calls. When she tried to talk to them they are very rude and harsh and nasty talking. They have continued to check her credit so very many times. One lady from the corp. office imformed her when my daughter said do u want your car back?that we will get our money one way or another even if we have the car back. I feel that we are living in America and why are these people still allowed to continue to stay in business? My daughter bought a 2004 buick and was so over charged for it and now she too can not trade it in because to a real dealership it isn't worth the paper its written on, it's simply trash to them they cant get anything for the car.

d893a015, 2009-01-05, 12:07PM CST

Well, I'm glad that i am not alone when it comes to Drive Time. I was a day late on my payment, and just as everyone said they do call everyone on your application. But this particular day they contacted my mother(which her and i were not talking at the time) Well the rep asked for me, my mother said she hasn't spoken to me in a while. Then the rep said "You are her mother and You have not talked to your own daughter!!!" Then she hung up in my mother's ear. My mom called the number back and asked to speak with the manager, he got on the phone, So she continues to tell him about how rude the lady was, and he responded by saying "So what am I supposed to do about it?" not only that they called my work number and i wasn't there, so the lady that was sitting at my desk answered the phone and let them know that i wasn't there, and the Rep asked her "Well do you guys have a number that i can call to see about getting bad debt garnished out of her wages?" I don't care if i am at work or not, you do not let my cowrkers know what is going on with me financially!!! So yes if you guys are interested in doing anything to bring drivetime down please email me!!

44c2f825, 2009-06-27, 02:32PM CDT

I AM DEFINETALY INTERESTED IN BRINGING THIS COMPANY DOWN! They have completely taken advantage of me. They sold me a car in Phoenix Az, without air conditioning! It is 110 degrees outside and I can't even take my 3 year old daughter anywhere because it is to hot. I can't trade in the car because I owe $10,000 on a car that worth about$2000! This place is horrible and takes advantage of anybody. They will not pay to fix my ac which went out after having the car 3 weeks! I have replaced the ac unit 2 times totalling over $2400. Way more then the car is even worth.

df973b0a, 2009-07-09, 08:38PM CDT

I also have been ripped off by drive time I brought a car through the drive time in Chandler Az. The car has been in a rear end accident and they never told me about it. The front passgner seat is broken since I brought the car and yes you do not get any help from their corp office here in Az.

c2bb4872, 2009-07-30, 07:02PM CDT

If you all REALLY only knew. These people (meaning sales and management) have absolutely no scruples and definately don't have your best interest at heart. Being and ex-employee I have seen FIRST HAND how they lie and manipulate you into the car they need to get off of the lot NOT the car you would like. If you are lucky you might end up with something that is simular to what you want. Behind close doors the managers and sales people laugh about your credit. If they are pushing a car on you too hard that is because it is an "OLD AGE" unit that they need to move out of inventory before it hits their bottom line. The reason it is old age is #1 it has cosmetically lots wrong with it or #2 it runs like CRAP! If you want a class action suit email me and I will add you to the growing list. In the meantime contact your Attorney General of your state and file a complaint and also the Better Business Bureau.

0dfd5cc2, 2009-07-31, 03:55PM CDT

i was ripped off by drivetime after being a 6 year customer when i tried to get them to fix the car that was still under warranty they refused to pay for the labor and said those parts were not covered under the warranty but my paper work says different and i would like to join in on your class action lawsuit

f7524734, 2009-08-05, 11:52AM CDT

When DT is trying to collect on their debt, they will always say that they will repo your vehicle even if you're 1 day late. They won't, they are just using this as a threat so the consumer pays the debt. That is the last thing they want to do (repo) because they can't get much for the vehicle at auction. You need to be at least 70 days late in order for them to repo the unit. Its something they say to scare you. If you bought a vehicle from them, you can take it back within 45 days and it won't be considered a repo, its considered an unwind. They don't want you to know this because they lose a sale and the salesman doesn't get paid for the commission. Make sure you sign a form the manager will have you sign and get a copy. I know for a fact because I used to be a mgr. for them...good luck...

a7c928c1, 2009-08-26, 04:55PM CDT

I am also a drivetime customer. I purchased my 2000 pontiac grand am in march of 2006 and this is after i had purchased a 1999 mazda 626 from drivetime that in the end needed a transmission. So to make me happy they offered me another car, which was the grand am. I was financed 12,474 and with a apr of 25.479 by the time i am finished paying on it i will have paid 19,124. Soon after my warrenty expired my brakes went out after i was told everything was fine on the car. Next up was my ac, now i purchaseded the car n march so there was no need for the ac n when i tested it it worked fine. Now may hit and i was on my lunch break it got hot outside as it does in san antonio, tx around that time so i put on my air, it was fine for the 1st 10 mins then it started to get extremly hot. I had my step dad look at it and it was out of refridgerant. I had to put 2 cans in it. I worked fine for about 2 months. I took it to an ac repair shop and they told me it had a leak so i paid 150.00 to get the leak fixed and to add more refridgerant. That was just the 1st time i had to get my ac repaired. Come to find out yes i had an leak but i also needed awhole new system, so since i didnt have tha money at the time i had to drive around san antonio, tx during one of our many hot summers, and the summers here do not end until about mid october, with no air until i was able to come up with 875.00 to get it fixed. Over the past 2yrs i have spent over 3000.00 dollars in repair cost. Just recently I needed my water pump repaired. In the process of fixing my water pump the timing chain needed to be replaced because the water pump would not come off without taking the timing chain off and to do that they had to take off so many parts that i didnt even know a car had. I have not been able to drive my car in a month because once one thing gets fixed another goes wrong. I fixing what was supposed to be just my water pump there was still a leak coming from who knows where, so everything had to come off again. They took off my thermostat and found the leak. Well apparently someone long before the car was sold to me put a screw into the the port that the thermostat sits in but not only did they put the screw in wrong the super glued it to rig it just so that it would last for awhile. Now i was told the way they rigged it was that it would hold just until it got hot enough to cause a problem. It has yrs of water corrosion built up around it that exisisted way longer than the two and a half yrs i have owned it. I tried calling drivetime to inform them about everything that has been going on with this car n all tha lady had to say to me was well thats the responsibility that comes along with owning a car and that i should have reported to them everything that i got fixed on it when i had it fixed and since i didnt and they have no record other than the one repair that i did report there was nothing that they could or would do. But when i did call them to let them know about the car they told me that they could not help me because i was no longer under warrenty and they only way i could qualify for assistance was if my repairs at the time of service were 500.00 or more.

And about the harassment they not only call and harass my friends and family but they have called my neighbors who are not a reference and tried to get information out of them. A rep called me 2 days before i was do just to let me know i was do and when i told them not to call me i know when im do, the lady got an attitude with me and told me that since i had a problem paying on time they just wanted to make sure i knew. Now mind you all I was late on payments because i had to make a choice whether to pay them or get my car fixed, and since i need my car to get from a to b i chose to fix my car. They've lost paper work i had to send in to get deferments and would try to blame it on me. What a crook. So whenever anyboby is ready for a lawsuit i am so ready.

a7c928c1, 2009-08-26, 04:57PM CDT

2430b50f, 2009-09-22, 02:12PM CDT

I am also another VICTIM of this company who should be SHUT DOWN! They take advantage of people with poor credit!!! They sell you over priced cars! Mine was a 2002 Optima with 35K miles! Come to find out over 6K miles later when the warranty expires, it needs a new transmission! Then the tire blows and causes 1500 worth of damage to my car, not to mention a week after purchasing the vehicle, the keyless entry lock doesn't work, the back window doesn't roll down anymore, and the chrome above the passanger window pops off! They are the biggest scam every! I am ready to tell them to come and get the freakin car out of my drive way I am so P.O. With this company!

77d73eb5, 2009-09-26, 03:06AM CDT

I went in today and met with Charles at athe Torrance location after speaking with him several times on the phone and told him that I had only $700 for a down payment, and assures me no problem we can work with that not a problem. I continue with my appointment and go in and he says well because of your credit we will need $2,500 for a down payment. Ahhh what!! I spole to someone from the corporate office and you and was reassured that$700 was o.k. and Drive Time will work with me on that, so what happened?? The money is not a problem, but for their cars, have you seen them?? No way would I do that, maybe for a Mercedes or a nice Lexus, but not an American made reject car. My thing is that I should have been told that before I went down there, filled out paperwork all for nothing. Reluctant to say I left with a bad taste in my mouth about this company and I decided to read the reviews about this place and I'm glad that I didnt buy a car from Drive Time. For the rest of you bloggers let it be Court Time!! lool

322f6bf4, 2009-12-31, 10:51PM CST

Wow what a horrible story!! thank you Scott!! so sorry about your experience with those parasites, I just went on line today and got approved with them, as I need a new vehicle, I have always bought used vehicles and wanted to upgrade to a 05 vehicle. and made an appointment with the dealership on Saturday 1/2/2010. I'm in Atlanta but after reading this, I'm not even going to bother showing up. I will just go through my credit union and buy a used auto elsewhere. ugh its criminal what these people do to consumers, we really need to get together and shut these crooks down. tired of all these capitalistic parasites, cable, cellphones, utility companies, insurances and the list goes on. their was a time they needed our business and treated us fairly and with respect. now they act like we can't survive without them. that's why I have vowed to live a minimalist lifestyle and only purchase what I absolutely need not want.

67f41ad5, 2010-01-15, 03:24PM CST

"I wont even bother showing up?!?!" Cowards, mice, idiots...you live in fear. Now this man or woman has a legit complaint, but wheres the balance that swayed the poor mindless fool who will now stay home and blast a company they have no idea about. You act like sheep, and therefore are treated like sheep. Do your own research, stand up for yourself and you will not end up like this poor soul whos only outlet is an online tirade against...A CAR DEALERSHIP!! HA! Of all things to "enlighten" us about, you choose the ethical issues in the auto industry. Grow up, you were walked on because you deserved it, and hopefully you have learned...FIND OUT FOR YOURSELF, SHEEP!

d1310027, 2010-01-20, 02:19PM CST

If enough people get together, there is something called a class action lawsuite that can be filed against them. And with all the websites and testimonials from current and past customers, there could be a good case, we just need to find a law firm that is willing to advocate for us. But first numerous complaints need to be filed with the FTC and the BBB. Lets get this thing rolling. I am all for it.

cf0b8d7e, 2010-03-02, 10:43PM CST

you failed to mention that you had a fico score of 400 and had about 8 pages from a credit bureau showing that you never paid anyone else. drivetime was just making sure they got their money. good cars go to people with good credit.

1ce3687f, 2010-04-27, 04:03PM CDT

Im ready Im in Texas.. and I only had this crap for 7 months..

5a657c43, 2010-09-07, 10:16PM CDT

Good day All,

My response to the cry-baby mullet that feels he paid to much for the car and interest rate at Drive Time. Hey stupido, You paid more for the car and more for the interest because you had no other options. You yourself said you were force to surcome to the inflated everything or walk home.I don't care, but who put you in that position? YOU! If you had a track record of repayment to anyone you would not be in that position. As it stands no other financail institution was wiiling to risk financing you for the steam off a hotdog let alone a car! You yourself said YOU HAD NO CHOICE when in fact Re- paying your last dept on time was a choice you did or could not make.if it wasn't for Drive-Time you would be walking and thinking daily of all the creditor you should of paid. SO SHUT UP!

GET REAL, are you going to loan money to a person who has a track record of not paying people back? of course not. Well I hope I was a provider of insight in the world of "realiy"

6cb358cb, 2011-02-09, 04:33PM CST

Please we need a class action lawsuit! If one is started please email me [email protected]

8e5d6fb8, 2012-01-24, 01:25PM CST

Some of you are in the position you are because of loss of jobs etc , however so many of you whine and bitch about dealers, phone companies , credit card companies charging high interest... its because people dont pay their bills. Would you loan someone money or sell them something at a cheap rate if you have a history of slow pay ...NO. Pay your bills save up some money and buy from a REPUTABLE dealer not A BOGUE LOT.

01059513, 2012-06-05, 02:58PM CDT

well let me just chime in and ask if anyone has started a class action law suit yet because i'm in!!!! I faithfully made my payments to drive time two months into buying my vehicle the engine became faulty not drivable they put me in another vehicle, less than a year into this vehicle the EXACT thing is happening to this car only the warranty dept denied my claim and would only be willing to make arrangements on my payments owed since I left the vehicle at the repair shop and kept it moving. They then offered to just take my two payments I missed and tack it on to my final payment and when I didn't respond to that they are making demands that I owe everything in full. Never once honoring their part about the limited warranty only covering the engine and the electrical. The issue is the problem IS the engine hmm. The exact thing that was wrong with the first car. Only this time they didn't put me in another car they just told me i'm on my own. And still has their hand out for more money.

bonnie v., 2012-10-29, 09:34AM CDT

I completely agree I haven't had my car a year and Thrace went out the wires under the dash board were burning. Now my engine light is coming on and the air bag light and the tire monitor I have paid my payments but this dealership doesn't care and won't honor the warranty or get me a rental so it can get fixed I with the lawsuit

Sheila S., 2013-08-30, 12:31AM CDT

Thank you so much Scott for your post. It has actually helped me a lot. I was about to go there soon to buy a car. But now there is no way. I believe you saved my husband, my self and our family a huge hassle. Drivetime will not be getting our business. Again thank you so much.