Hershey's Chocolate, Hershey, PA

Posted on Wednesday, April 13th, 2005 at 12:00am CDT by 6e9d66c9

Company: Hershey's Chocolate, Hershey, PA

Hershey's Chocolate, Hershey, PA

My mother and I shared a small bag of Hershey's sugar-free chocolate yesterday, and were both sick all night with diarrhea. I assume the product is sweetened with sorbitol, which is notorious for having this effect. It didn't occur to me that sorbitol was still being used, or if it is, that it would be present in sufficient amounts to bring on such a dire effect.

In my case, it was merely annoying and inconvenient, but my mother is 85 years old and in fragile health. If I had not been there to give here anti-diarrhea medication and make sure she did not become dehydrated, it could well have killed her. It is inexcusable for Hershey to be marketing such a dangerous product, particularly under the guise of harmless candy! I found it by the check-out at a grocery store, right where children always beg for candy.

If some preoccupied parent gave a bag of it to their child without realizing what it was, it could be disastrous and possibly fatal. What if it were given to a diabetic child? The resulting dysentery could put them into a coma! I called the grocery store in question and told them they needed to pull this product from their shelves immediately, but I could tell from the bored tone of the clerk who answered that nothing would be done.

Paul Click this link to e-mail the message author: //

c458eec9, 2009-06-16, 01:37PM CDT

Uh it probably says on the bag if you had bothered to read it can cause a laxative effect..my Partner is diebetic and wont eat sugar free chocolate for that exact reason..next time read before you buy!!