ARC, Inc. - ARC, Inc. (American Reading Club) - Today was the first time I heard of these people. I got a little postcard in the mail saying they were trying to get a hold of me. So I called the toll free number. I called twice.

Posted on Wednesday, September 29th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by aa23f08e

Product: American Reading Club

Company: ARC, Inc.

Category: Scam Contests

First operator I spoke to said I get the postcard because I had been automatically entered into the "Grand National Sweepstakes." My name was on the card along with a PIN number. I asked what sweepstakes and how?

The first reply she gave was "do you subscribe to any magazines?"

"Well, sure I do."

"That is how you were entered."

I asked her what magazine did this and she couldn't tell me. I subscribe to several but I know they aren't all part of one group!

I asked her to tell me more about ARC and she refused. Then she said

I was entered in the sweepstakes because I carried a MasterCard, Visa, American Express or Discover card. She asked which one I carried. I would not tell her.

Then she asked for my age and birth date! If a credit card company or magazine company had entered me, they already have that info! I would have also known about it.

This sounds like total fraud!

I told the girl I would not give out any personal info and I hung up.

I called back to see what would happen this time.

The second operator I spoke to told me I had been automatically entered into this "Grand National Sweepstakes" but again would not tell me any more information about it. I asked her how I was entered. She never mentioned magazines but did give me the schpeel about carrying a major credit card.

Then she asked if I had a checking account! She wanted to know my birth date!

I asked to speak to the manager and she said she was out and wouldn't be back all week. When I told her this sounded like fraud she got rude and said she would delete my information. I said fine but told her I was still going to report them. None of this sounds legitimate! Everyone should know these days do not give out ANY personal info to a stranger!

This ARC is just out to steal peoples money------ Watch Out!

Syndi L

Hope Mills, NC

8e24086f, 2007-11-17, 12:00AM CST

tell NC Attorney General (Roy Cooper) office about this

phone 1-800-662-7952

e-mail [email protected]

web address www.governor.stats.nc.us.

oh ya look at the address on post card,

?think it is a car lot?

36c402de, 2008-02-27, 03:09PM CST

I thought they were associated with my previous magazine provider now that I know about them I just hope I can recoupe my funds! I had a bad feelig about them and now Im afraid that I've been dooped! Im going to check this out further and BBB will hear about this!!!! If you know anything else about them let me know!!!

ce6f32d0, 2013-12-26, 12:10PM CST

This is a common scam. You can read similar complaints here where the people actually gave out their information. Thank goodness you had better sense than that!