Chevy Blazer - 1999 Chevy Blazer - Transmission Problems (code 1870)

Posted on Monday, September 20th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 91898174

Company: Chevy Blazer

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

We own a 1999 CHEVY BLAZER. a year after purchasing, we took it to Hallowell Chevrolet, in Clovis CA, when running the A/C it would shudder when starting out in first gear. They hooked it to the computer & test it. No problem was found.

They explain to me that was normal for Blazers. However within the last the month the problem became worse & we took it into the Hallowell Chevrolet again. This time we were told

there is KNOWN problem (code 1870) that they have received a notice from GMAC regarding a DEFECT with the transmissions. (Keep in mind we had also purchased full extended warranty coverage!) Our claim was declined. It cost $3800.00 to have the problem fixed.

I have done some research on-line & found that we are not the only ones to end up paying this, to have a KNOWN defect fixed! According GMAC, it was not serious enough of a problem to notify owners! I call $3800.00 fairly serious... now a week and a half later, the motor for the sunroof has gone out. It should also be covered By the extended warranty.

We will see... I am considering contacting a Consumer Law Specialist for warranty violations. If anyone else has had the same problem with their transmission, I would like to hear from them & how it cost them to have the problem fix.

J E Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: //

da72dc26, 2009-12-16, 08:52PM CST

You could have had it repaired for about $275.00 including the parts. Problem is wear in the control valve body. The repair kit is made by Superior 4L60E Shift Correction kit, it costs $70.99 and can be installed without removing the trans. GM would much rather sell you a new transmission, they know all about this problem they they don't want a recall!

f0788948, 2011-08-18, 10:36AM CDT

I had this problem and I did repair the valve body, that did not fix the problem, it was a burnt wire from the computer module. It did not hurt to do the other it had enough miles it needed it anyway........please check the wire that might be your problem