Cedar Lane Campground - Cedar Lane Campground, OH - My family and 3 other families we were camping with at Cedar Lane RV campground were treated rudely, like criminals, and were harassed by the park superintendent and one of the owners.

Posted on Tuesday, September 14th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 9ce0af57

Company: Cedar Lane Campground

Category: Nature, Environment

My family and 3 other families we were camping with at Cedar Lane RV campground were treated rudely, like criminals, and were harassed by the park superintendent and one of the owners. In the 43 years I have been camping, I have NEVER experienced such behavior

from a private camp owner, or his staff. Below is the scenario of what we

experienced this weekend. Also after interviewing several of the permanent campers, I find out our experience is not an isolated one. In fact, one permanent camper told us “I cringe every year when I have to write these people a check” and that the only reason she stays is because they are so close to the lake. We arrived ahead of our party on Thursday and began setting up on our designated site. The camp superintendent came over and informed up we could not set our pop up on the left side of the site, that we had to be on the right side so everyone in that row faced the same way. He kept on sighting what he said was an Ohio Regulation that there had to be 15 feet in between campers. OK, no problem, we move the camper. We also set up a pup tent for our baby to play in and my daughter to sleep in at night. The superintendent even drove up with a beer, and sold us a bundle of wood. The next morning the camp superintendent stopped by and said he thought the tent was illegal because State Regulations say pup tents as addition on camper sites need to be less than 36 inches and 15 foot from the site line and 5 foot from our camper. He said to ask at the office desk about it. We went to the office and were told that the superintendent already said it was too big for the site. (I measured it, it is 46 inches tall, two man tent). I asked the lady owner for a waiver and she said that the baby could use it until bedtime and then after that it had to come down. I asked if I lowered it to 36 inches if that would be OK and she said yes. After looking at it when we got back, lowering it was not an option, so we would take it down at bedtime. All during the day, the superintendent drove around us at least every 20 minutes obviously watching us. At one time when I was up at the pool, he approached me saying the “tent issue needs to be resolved still” My reply was that it would be by the end of the day. We got back from swimming, had dinner and were cleaning up. The sun was just starting to descend.

The park superintendent, and a young lady whom I assume was the daughter of the owner approached me and said the tent has to come down NOW. I said to them the kids are up and it is not their bedtime, and that I would remove the pup tent when they went to bed. They became belligerent with me and began arguing what is proper bedtime. At that point the girl who was with the superintendent said, “you are outta here and I’m calling the police”. The police had a cruiser show up with the two owners. UNBELIEIAVABLE! We have a pup tent up that the owner said we could, and didn’t have it down in time for the superintendent’s liking, so they called the police. Mind you, we are families in our 40’s with children ranging from 12 months to 13 years. The owner lady (who gave us the waiver) approached me and asked if there was a problem. I said no there is not, we took the tent down, and explained that the superintendent had been bird-dogging us all day because we had the tent up, which she approved. She then asked if there was going to be a problem. I replied no, I understand your rules are your rules, but I was not doing anything wrong, and I would not put the pup tent up the following day. She said thank you, and wished us an enjoyable rest of our stay. Now the male owner, who was behind the policeman, starts to chime in, telling us that we are not the kind of people he wants in his park. He also yells out “see what drinking does”, and that “you’ll never be back here again”. We did have beer at our campsites, but there was no intoxication, and if you queried the officer he would concur. I believe, perhaps, the owner was drunk to act so obnoxiously. He continued on taunting one of the other fathers who was standing by me, which was really aggravating. In fact the officer told him (one of the fathers we were camping with) that the owner was just trying to push his buttons and to ignore him.

The policeman then told us there was no problem, and that the owners were probably jumping the gun because of an incident they had over the holiday weekend. We chit chatted with the officer about camping for a few minutes, while male owner watched. He then approached the officer and asked “are we done here?” to which the officer said yes and then went back to his cruiser and left. Tell me, why would a campground owner purposely try to provoke a fight with a camper? During this time my 9-year-old son was crying his eyes out in our camper thinking Mommy and Daddy are going to jail. He fell asleep crying. The next day, the camp superintendent never went down our lane. I guess since we didn’t have a 46-inch tent up, all was well at Cedar Lane! Again, talking to several permanent campers, the owner and especially the superintendent are sticklers for rules. I cannot argue about that. Their camp, their rules. But we followed what the owner told us to do. And to call the police because the superintendent thought sunset was bedtime for our kids and that nasty pup tent had to come down then?!!!!! The next day, at 9am, I was in the washroom cleaning up before we left. I overhead the superintendent telling a camper…”you know you have to be out of here by noon, you know that, right?” The reason for such a long letter is so you know the details of what happened. I cannot fathom what drives these people. We all feel like it was a weekend out of the twilight zone. My opinion, and I do not speak for the rest of our party here, is that the owners are not fit to be camp owners. Anyone can own almost anything they want, but it doesn’t mean they know how to manage it. I feel our family, and the families we were with, all deserve a full refund, since our stay was far below par of what we expect from a campground. This is the last time we, or any of our friends or relative will be at Cedar Lane.

The Ghoul's W

b20079e2, 2008-06-09, 05:01PM CDT

It has been about 4 yrs ago when a similar situation has happened to us and we hadn't been back. We have friends that would go every year and so when we had gone it was not with them but with another family member and their kids. Now, at that time we were new and weren't clear on all the rules and the same situation....they and their seasonal cronies seemed to spy on us. My family and the others that were with us are not new to camping and have been to privately owned campgrounds and respect the rules and abide to them. I found out the next morning when after breakfast I went to find a spicket to wash my pan and didn't know where it was, therefore went into the restroom just to rinse it and found a woman and her children seeing what I was doing, mind you, never saying where the proper place was to go to clean it but found out later that the owner came and scolded me on this. I apoliqized profusely and said it wouldn't happen again and he had stated that on the back of the map on the brochure was where it was located. Great! Would've been nice if someone would have pointed that out! But like the Ghoul's we were watched like a hawk. That was a few years back and have since been back and just know how things are and it's been find. But will tell you that we now affectionately call Cedar Lane Park "THE NAZI CAMP".

88daecf8, 2008-08-11, 08:53AM CDT

My husband and I visited the campground for 9 days, we wanted to leave on day one but they refused to refund our monies. We were charged for 10 days instead of 9 and when I told them about the mistake, they said it was my fault even though when we checked in we told them we would be leaving on Sunday. To add insult to injury, our site was awful. When we looked out our windows we had a great view of the storage lot of trailers and boats and also THE terrible smell from the fish cleaning station. They emptied the fish parts only once while we were there and we could never just sit outside as the smell was so bad you just wanted to gag. We did try and talk to the hosts upfront in the office, however they really didn't care about our concerns. I did tell them I would never return to the campground and I would make sure I told my camping friends to avoid at all cost.

41169441, 2008-10-26, 12:28AM CDT

This past summer we decided to get a permanent site at Cedar Lane and we regretted it. The staff is unfriendly and rude. I made the mistake of inviting some family members up and was completely embarrassed because the staff yelled at them several times and treated them like children they even made my mom cry at one point. The pool situation is also unsatisfactory. There are two separate pools at the campground and everyone under 18 is forced to swim in the children's pool that at its deepest point is only about three feet deep, as you can imagine my 16 year old daughter was not happy about being separated from the rest of the family and being forced to swim in a baby pool. Also my 19 year old daughter was cussed at by one of the staff at cedar lanes who told her to get her ass out of the pool because they did not believe she was old enough. That was the last straw i do not pay money to be treated rudely on my family vacation. My advice is don't go to cedar lanes.

e0bc7e92, 2008-10-26, 12:31AM CDT

a1256cb6, 2013-07-21, 01:02PM CDT

This campground has gone downhill in so many ways since new ownership has taken hold. All it is, is about $$. No regards for the families thy have been there for years. No regards for anyone but themselves. Save your money and go elsewhere. The horrible customer service and lack of utter respect for anyone but themselves. So sad. Used to be such a fun, family place. We shared many years and many memories at that place, but from now on, I'll make sure that the truth is out there about the real deal at this place.