Posted on Wednesday, October 27th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 96c06eeb

Company: British Gas cheshire england - My problems with B. G. started back in 1994, when i was using a token prepayment meter.

British Gas and prepayment meters

British Gas cheshire england

My problems with B. G. started back in 1994, when i was using a token prepayment meter. I received statements over the following years informing me(I presumed) of how much gas I used and had paid for. Then all of a sudden I received a huge bill for over &#1632000. Demanding immediate payment and for them to change over my meter to an electronic prepayment meter. But in order for them to exchange the meter I had to accept the debt which I did not owe. I wrote a letter of appeal asking for an investigation but i received no reply.When I contacted them by phone I was passed from one incompetent customer advisor to another and after hours and days and months on the phone to these people and none willing to help I had to accept the debt.

They threatened to disconnect, me I had to young children. My eldest had severe epilepsy and my youngest had a severe phonological disorder and a bowel disorder. I was back and forth from the hospital with them both. I was on a low income and I was also bringing them both up on my own. I didn't have the time or the energy to fight this battle. I also needed hot water and heatingfor my children. So I agreed to pay the debt back at &#1634 a week. I wasn't satisfied but at least they were off my back.

Nevertheless when I moved into my present address (Jan2001) the problem raised its ugly head once again. Unless I came to a new agreement at an increased recovery rate B.G were refusing to supply me with gas. I spent an hour on the phone, B. G wanted me to pay it back at &#16330 a week which i could not afford and managed to negotiate it down to &#16312 a week. This started coming off my meter weekly and then itover the next few months it dropped down to &#1637 then &#1634 and sometimes just a few pence. I found this very frustrating. B.G contacted me demanding payment for the &#1631800 I know owed from the old debt. When I contacted them they denied ever having made a new arrangement with them due to a legislation that doesn't allow them to transfer an old debt to a new address!! I was completely confused, It made me feel ill.

Then to add insult to injury B.G In 2002 sent me a bill demanding &#163300 for non payment of gas. I was on an electronic prepayment meter! I bought my gas weekly from the corner shop and post office. I telephoned and I wrote to them and with their blind arrogance they demanded payment. My solicitor contacted them and demanded a thorough investigation. Even this produced no light on the matter! My solicitor said that unless I had receipts to prove payment I would have pay them the money.How can this be right, If i didnt purchase gas i literally had NO gas which meant no heating, hot water or cooking. I tried one last thing. I threatened media coverage. Miraculously they found my payments in a sleeper account and blamed it on me for using the wrong card to purchase my gas! I was using the card they sent me. AAaah!

I then had to continue my battle over the old debt as B.G had sent my details to a credit agency who were demanding immediate payment or bailiffs. Two years on and i am still fighting this battle. All the other credit agencies have refused to deal with it as thankfully they cannot understand how I ran up a bill on a prepayment meter. But the current company and their solicitors don't seem to care. I'm prepared to go to court over it. I am heavily pregnant have a young toddler and my two older boys and I am secretary to my partners building company.

I certainly don't need this stress. But they have already put a default against my credit file and know I'm being threatened with CCJ. I don't have any choice. I'm sending this email to several national papers and to watchdog. I have already contacted Energywatch last yearbut recieved a letter from them on B.G paper, so are they an inhouse complaints ombudsman. They said B.G say you owe them the money so payup basiclly.Can nothing be done to fight againt these arrogant bullies who are going around screwing with peoples lives and credit files. Any help greatly appreciated.

Yours D B

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_69057# Consumer