Academy Collection Services - Academy Collection Services in Philadelphia - I received a threatening phone call from Mr. Hastings of this organization. OF course he did not identify what organization he was with, so I had no idea who this angry and agressive man was. My girlfriend lef

Posted on Thursday, October 14th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by b2cbe72c

Company: Academy Collection Services

Location: PHILADELPHIA

Category: Business, Finances

I received a threatening phone call from Mr. Hastings of this organization. OF course he did not identify what organization he was with, so I had no idea who this angry and aggressive man was. My girlfriend left 3 months ago to live with her family in the Caribbean. Incidentally, she and her family members lost everything when they were crushed by the recent hurricanes, and now live in shelters.

Prior to leaving, she sent in deferment/forbearance forms for student loans, because she had stopped working. It was her understanding that all her student loans were in deferment, after sending in these forms (apparently she did not confirm that they had all been processed and accepted).

Anyway, "Mr Hastings" calls demanding to speak to her. I tell him she doesn't live here any more. "CELL PHONE!" he demands. I naturally ask who he is and he thunders back "I already told you who I am, this is Mr Hastings, and this is in regard to a legal matter." I tell him that I can give her a message, but will not provide her phone number until I get some information in regards to who he is (I am sure she does not want me to be giving her phone number away to random strange man, particularly rude and threatening ones).

Anyway, he says" if you are a real friend have her call Mr. Hastings within 20 minutes" or she is gonna have a real problem. And, "do you have any questions?" I replied, "listen buddy, don't get an attitude with me." He says "First of all I am not your buddy, and secondly I asked if you had any questions, not if you had any demands." Then he proceeded to tell me if I know what is good for me, I will do exactly as he instructed and make sure she calls him within 20 minutes.

Well, I am not sure exactly what I did to warrant this aggressive behavior. I searched the phone number on the net, to find he is with this collection agency. I was not aware that they were allowed to treat people in this manner. I do not owe any money to anyone and I do not feel that I deserve to be treated in this way. According to there website, they offer "ethical, courteous and professional revenue recovery." http://www.academycollection.com/

Well, Mr. Hastings obviously does things a little outside of the company's motto. I will try to contact my girlfriend, and makes sure she squares away her deferments and her payments. Right now, she is not getting any mail because the whole infrastructure of her island was destroyed with the hurricanes, and she has no address except a shelter.

If I receive any more threatening calls from him, I plan to contact the police. Unfortunately I am not sure what other actions I can take, but if there is anything I can do to stop others from being treated like this, I would be glad to help.

shea1hawaii