Posted on Wednesday, November 10th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by b997b1f4

Company: CompuServe - It started a year or more ago when my husband and myself needed some tech support. Since it had been 4 years prior that we set up our account we had forgotten our password

CompuServe

November 9, 2004

CompuServe-Virginia

It started a year or more ago when my husband and myself needed some tech support. Since it had been 4 years prior that we set up our account we had forgotten our password. They asked for our mailing address and the one I gave them did not match what they had. They asked for the credit card number that the account was billed to and I gave it.

Well to my supise, it was not what they had down. Mind you, they have been billing this credit card for 4 years(atleast that's what my statements say). I then proceeded to ask what address or fax number I could send my proof of their charges on that card to. They refused to give me an address and tried to hang up on me. I explained that I did appreciate their dedication to my privacy but that I as a courteous customer wanted to find out how I could update my information so that they did have it correct in their system. After being chewed out for the second time by two different customer service reps for calling them "Sir" and "Madam" out of respect the reply was simple-you need your password to do that. THAT'S WHAT I WAS NEEDING TOO!

Two days later I called a different CompuServe number that had also showed up on my credit card statement and the lady was nice enough to update my information after she informed me that the credit card number I gave her was the one they had on file.

Now I have canceled my CompuServe/AOL as of September 2004 to find that the AOL portion stopped being charged but the CompuServe portion was not. Nobody ever bothered to tell me that. Mind you the nice lady that corrected my mailing address and other information was from the AOL/CompuServe customer service. So I called the customer service number on my credit card statement to cancel and the lady would not cancel it.

Amazing to me all of my updated information had made it into their system. The rep that I spoke with was very hard to understand at times due to her broken English. I tried to cancel my service and was told that I had a couple weeks to retrieve our addresses. I told her that we had done that in June when we changed to DSL through another company and that I didn't need that time and to cancel it. When I couldn't understand her I would just say" I just need to cancel my service." Today I received a letter thanking me for my Nov. 1st phone call and for my continued service. They also said they will be charging me $21.95/month.

All I wanted was to cancel. Just be aware that this company's customer service department is far from acceptable. Sometimes I feel as though I need a Valium when talking to them. Document as much as you can with this company. From the looks of other complaints posted on this company, nobody is safe.

Cindy W Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_69684# Consumer