Playboy magazine - Playboy magazine billing center - He had never ordered it so we thought it was a joke considering we're a Christian family active in our church. We didn't give it much more thought until the bills kept coming getting increasingly threatening.

Posted on Saturday, November 27th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by f78caaba

Company: Playboy magazine

Category: News, Media

Playboy magazine billing center starting billing my husband Richard D as "Ricky D" approx 6 months ago for a subscription. He had never ordered it so we thought it was a joke considering we're a Christian family active in our church. We didn't give it much more thought until the bills kept coming getting increasingly threatening.

The last 2 have threatened to turn us over to a collection agency. We have good credit and don't want this error to go any further. I tried with the last bill sending it back with a letter written on the back but was not acknowleged. There is no phone number in which to contact them. My husband never ordered this magazine and never received one. I get home and get the mail before he does every day so he isn't keeping anything from me.

The name on the bottom of the letter is Charles Martin, Collection Manager.

The address is Playboy Magazine, PO Box 10915,Des Moines, IA 50340-0915

susan d

f6758700, 2007-11-10, 03:43PM CST

if you find somenthing about this martin pls give me the information g [email protected]

1a180e32, 2008-03-21, 06:23PM CDT

this same thing is happening to me----never ordered it----they are threatening to turn it over to collections...

8992e41b, 2008-04-28, 12:35PM CDT

i had the same exact thing happen to me except i did order it...a guy friend of mine always took my issues after i had read them, and so for xmas i ordered him a gift subscription, he decided he didn't want them and after the first issue came (as a surprise to him) and there's no way to cancel it! so if i paid the bill he would keep getting embarrasing issues to his house, and if i ddn't it got reported to the collection agency...they finally sent it to the collection agency, which included a letter stating if i wanted to dispute this to do so within 30 days and the only number they put on the letter was an auto pay number! no way to talk to an actual person! i finally got online and researched it, called the collection agency and they removed it and said it would not report to my credit...if anyone needs that number its sunrise credit services 800-208-8565 ask for the collection dept. hope this helps.....no more playboys for me, im canceling mine as well!

6f72c852, 2008-05-22, 07:06PM CDT

Same here i dont read smut magazines and never bought any in my life, now i keep getting this bill and there is no phone number to clear the issue up with. What can i do, wait until it gets reported and then dispuit it?

f4fcc534, 2008-06-11, 09:18PM CDT

Here was my experience with unordered Playboy subscription.

I got 2 letters from a R. Duncan and one from Charles Martin, with no contact phone number and fishy wording.

Basically the letters said that I had not fulfilled my part of the agreement, and they were going to do something about it. The letter did not threaten collections, did not have a contact number, and did not look legit to me.

I got online, because I was damn certain I did not order this magazine. I put in Charles Martin and sure enough, this complaint site hits the top. If you sort through all the complaints to find out the legitimacy of this subscription, you will find a poster that says to call 1-800-999-4438.

Google this number, and it is not affiliated with Playboy, its website, or its merchandise. There's hardly 2 pages of results with the term: Playboy+1-800-999-4438

Of course, I call it anyways. The first time I got Kelsey. She did not introduce herself from Playboy, did not affiliate herself with Playboy and did not say the word in our conversation. She assured me that I had filled out a magazine card and sent it in Jan. 11, 2008, from a previous address, which I moved out of Nov. 31st, 2007 (I did not tell her this little piece of info). I told her that I was suspicious of this invoice and found it even odder that there was no phone number on it. She assured me that she had the original card and all I had to do was write her, explaining the situation, with my signature, and I could get a copy of the original. She was quick with me and gave me an address of PLAYBOY, PO Box 2007, Harlan, IA 51593. She did not end the call with any affiliation with Playboy.

I went back to the webs, because my gut was still telling me this is bs. Oh, and I moved Nov. 31st 2007, so there is no possible way I sent it from my previous address.

I went to Playboy.com to try and find a contact number to call their customer service, and nothing, nowhere. I found the -write to us- button, on the bottom of the page and I was directed to: http://www.playboy.com/help/email.html

In the first box, click -customer service Playboy.com- and you will be directed to:

Ok, this is where it gets very interesting. All it asks to log in to your account is your account number off the magazine. Enter only 10 numbers after PLY, on your invoice...

...and voila, your information!!!!!

Want to see something scary? I am a pretty curious person so I looked up this http...anything with the prefix of

and I found a Men's Journal one at:

I put my account number from my Playboy magazine into the Men's Journal one

...and voila, some dudes information!!!!!

To top it all off, I could change his address and renew his subscription...with a button that says BILL ME LATER!!!!!

This is a horrible breach of security and privacy. I think you all can imagine how to get your hands on some magazine accounts.

SO, I call back 1-800-999-4438 but this time I do not put my account information through the telephone and just wait to talk to an operator. This time I get Stephanie, who also does not say "Playboy" once throughout our conversation. She asked for an account number and a name, and came back to tell me that this has been canceled. I told her it was mighty odd that someone had sent in the card from a residence I had not lived at for almost 2 months, and then to find out it just miraculously canceled. She was very short with me and thanked me and hung up, never saying thank you or sorry or any affiliation with Playboy.

I dearly hope Charles Martin comes after me again. I can't wait until he threatens me with collections or leaves a number to contact him at. I could care less what he does to me. Come on Chuck! Bring it on you lying, cheating POS!!!

Here are the addresses:

R. Duncan (2 letters; one starting, "When you ordered...", and a second one starting, "Because your account is seriously past due,...)

PLAYBOY

P.O. Box 2007

Harlan, IA 51593-0222

Charles Martin (1 letter, much more threatening, probably 3rd notice or something starting off "Your account has been turned over to me because...")

PLAYBOY

P.O. Box 10915

Des Moines, IA 50340-0915

I really hope Chucky sends me another letter...might just have to go visit Iowa. But I think the real problem is with the buysub web sites.

Anonymous, 2008-06-25, 02:05PM CDT

This happened to me too. Thank you for the phone number...1-800-999-4438...I called and talked to a nice lady who appologized and cancelled the order. She said someone had placed the order, "...on-line...with no return email address." I guess this is some sick person's idea of a joke.

8e861b90, 2008-07-10, 03:26PM CDT

We had the SAME problem. Only the bill was sent to our address but with my husband's first name and my maiden name. We weren't worried about our credit since it wasn't my husband's real name, but annoyed that we kept getting a bill for a magazine my husband would never order. But I called the number 1-800-999-4438 and gave them the account number off of the bill and then the guy canceled the account. It took 1 minute. If it worked it was a real easy solution, just hard to find the number.

61b30c38, 2008-09-14, 12:57PM CDT

We will sam my name is George. But I to got one of these invoice's in the mail. Didn't think to much of it so I did send in the invoice to this so called Playboy PO BOX 3149 Harlin Ia 51593-0340 Then I got my bill yesterday 9/13/08 Got up this morning 9/14/08 and was going to send them a check. I started looking at the bill. Noticed that Playboy did not have the trade-mark of Playboy. The Bunny. Went on line and I found these comments. Well I went to Playboy Inc. guess what I found. The real Playboy network. Went to contact us and wrote Hef a letter explainning everything. So now maybe the fony people will have Hef breathing down the necks. I did get a letter from the real Playboy tell me that they would be intouch with me with in 24 to 48 hrs. This Fony company will not get a penny from me. I can't wait to see what the real Playboy company tells me. I will let all of you know.....By the way maybe you all should sit down and write to Hed......Thanks George

a539d5cb, 2008-09-22, 11:58AM CDT

My son is only 16-years-old and starting receiving collection notices over Playboy DVD's. I just called a 1-800 number, thanks to all of you who have commented on this issue...and "Vickie" just simply canceled it and said disregard the bill. Hmmm.....this is so not right. Wonder what we can do about this?

3822c5a1, 2008-10-04, 04:00PM CDT

I have had the exact same problem! These were forwarded from a house I lived in with my ex-husband 3 years ago, and somehow, the address was updated to my address in a different state! Now I'm living somewhere else, and they're STILL following me! So I called the number you posted, adn teh girl was a total B!%@#. I asked her how they got away with this, and she said tehre was an order placed on the 8th of April this year...very fishy...we're a Christian family, and would not do this. Also, I know my identitiy has not been stolen, so I am not sure how this all happened. When I asked to speak with a manager, the mean lady hung up on me! If I see one more thing from playboy, I am going to really raise Cain! Does anyone know how they're getting this information???

9c7d83d5, 2008-10-05, 05:01PM CDT

We too recieved a letter from the Sunsgine Credit Services. We did at one time have a subscription, decided not to renew,and along comes this lovely letter. Thanks to you all, after I did some research on my own, found the number to call(playboy) The woman was very nice, and did answer the phone saying "Playboy, how can I help you?)

I just said we did not renew, and would you please take us off of the list. She, looked up the name and said "Thank you, I cancelled your renewal, thanks for calling Playboy, is there anything else I can help you with? Pretty darn easy.

80a38cb2, 2008-10-07, 10:28AM CDT

i am having the same problem how do we fix it!

8e1bdb2e, 2008-10-07, 06:48PM CDT

Got the same problem; I just called the 1-800-999-4438 ( number provided in another complain ).

I explained to the Lady who got my call that they had to send me bills for a non-existing subsription, otherwise I'd have my lawyers take care about their business.

I even mentionned that I doubted they were representing the real PLAYBOY Company, and she did not reply.

She apologized and wishe me a good night.

This people threaten us with collection proceedings, let's threaten them with justice proceedings.

63a15809, 2008-11-03, 10:00AM CST

Playboy is so cheap they wanted me to use my own stamp . I keep getting those threats about collections too when I did not even get an extra magazine. I saw a special on TV . THe collections they use are inhouse and they will not affect your credit score ... they do not have your ss number.

a4689a0e, 2009-01-08, 03:59PM CST

We are receiving a bill monthly for a magazine we do not subscribe to. At the bottom of the bill it says, P. Mconell for playboy. No phone # to contact anyone.The address is po box 2007 Harlan, IA 51593-0222. What kind of BS is this?, and how do we stop it. The worst part is they are sending this bill in my minor childs name, what kind of recourse do we have?

628854fe, 2009-01-20, 08:12PM CST

This too has happened to me...I recd a letter from Sunrise Collection Agency. I called the collection agency, being well trained in the collection laws that protect consumers, and asked for the original contract to be sent to me. When I contacted Sunrise I was told initially by a gentleman that they are not truely a collections agency, they simply try and get us to pay a bill for a mag that we did not order. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, I was transferred to a young lady who was very short with me. I suggest that everyone learn about their rights as consumers because there is not only a serious breach of your privacy but is borderline illegal. Learn your rights and make it known that what they are doing could very well be illegal and I assure you they will stop.

4effefe2, 2009-07-11, 12:04PM CDT

I also got the same letters and I called the number on this site (1-800-999-4438). When the computer pick up it said that it was the Playboy Billing dept. I told them to cancel the order I never asked for and they did. It's a good thing I found this web site. Playing with someones credit is No Joke.

Thank You...

518ab0d8, 2009-08-03, 09:13AM CDT

I called 800-999-4438 and followed the prompt to customer service. The agent was VERY polite and resolved ALL issues w/in 2 minutes. I love the hot babes in Playboy and Jesus is a subscriber.

69388d7f, 2009-09-03, 08:29AM CDT

I called the 1-800 number found here in this thread of complaints, and actually the guy that I spoke with was very nice and agreed that there must have been some sort of error since I did not order their magazine. He agreed to remove me from their collections list and I guess i'll wait and see if I get another one in the mail. This has been going on since February 09.

f51b0289, 2009-11-14, 12:17AM CST

Iowa ,for gods sake! I wiil be, soon be traveling there , on other busines, and shall make a concerted effort, to check on these charges and to qualify and give us all satisfaction in this faudulent case, incuding participation in this stupid and Illegal scam. I am disabled and shall try to fund this investigation on my own! Please keep track of my efforts, I may need a small, helping hand. These persons , should not get with this crap. I ask for nothing , in return. Pray for me, Please!!!

672ebf9f, 2010-03-15, 03:01PM CDT

Not a scam but sure shady!

I fired them today.

I've had playboy delievered for over 10 years. Subscription ran out 10/2009. I always pay my bills on time. But this one eluded me with the MAIL CHECK IN ONLY option. So check written, envelope ready..No Stamp...for 5 months. And every month, invoice comes...

So today, i really want to pay. let me get Phone #....no # on bill...ODD.

Okay, let me go online...No www. address. ODD. Okay let me, hey wait, what's my account number?????!!!

NO phone, no www, no Account number and i'm supposed to pay or go to collections.

Luckily, i found this site, got Customer Service Number...I was disgruntled, but i tell ya WORST COSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!! i was hung up on 2 times. Finally spoke to a CSR that understood my concerns and frustrations. Nevertheless, i called to tell them i thought i would be a lifer, but in fact, i am quitting them until they fix their invoicing.

LOOKS LIKE A SCAM...but its just the PLAYBOY MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION.

And, they haven't outsourced their service to INDIA....i was speaking to some rude Americans. India would have been more respectful to the customer.

who was very right.

970930b6, 2010-12-27, 03:15PM CST

I just had the same problem I called and spoke to a lady named Kay and she handled it with care and now I have no collections on my credit report.

08eb0ef8, 2011-11-22, 02:44PM CST

I received an issue of this magazine which I did not order. I then started receiving notices in the mail asking for payment, then one stating it was going to collection. I found this online info site, called the 800 number, the lady from billing was very polite and stated it would be canceled

ae6c8630, 2011-12-01, 03:39PM CST

..i did order the subscription and keep getting billed..i need to know the online address as this is how i pay my bills monthly..shame on playboy for not having provided online billing..also no phone numbers given

568601a1, 2012-01-19, 10:16AM CST

The same thing happened to me a few months ago, bills coming in my husbands name.. The 3rd bill was threatening and signed by T. Persik. Today I received a notice from a collection agency. Here's the kicker...the Playboy invoice stated that my husband had ordered the subscription in June 2011. He has been deceased since March 2002. I contacted the collection agency (Sunrise Credit Services) and told them this, the account was immediately closed. After reading this fourm and finding a number for Playboy (800-999-4438) I called them and asked how he could order a subscription in 2011 when he has been dead since 2002. I was asked for my zip code and the last name spelling then told to disregard everything and the subscription has been cancelled. Bottom line...my husband certainly could not have ordered anything and no magazines were ever delivered to my house.

9fe957ad, 2012-01-28, 01:14PM CST

Yes,it is awful strange that a magazine as old as PLAYBOY is so out-dated when it comes to ON-LINE BILL PAY or NO CUSTOMER SERVICE NUMBER to call them and pay for the magazine,I for one am a little tired of getting threatening letters that it's been turned over to a COLLECTION AGENCY.Oh! I should clarify that I'm female and I'm the one who ordered PLAYBOY for my husband YEARS and YEARS ago,PLAYBOY keeps this SHIT up I will cancel