Posted on Sunday, November 21st, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 98d0e078

Company: Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator icemaker problems - In July, 2002, we purchased a Kitchen Superba Model #KSRG25FKWH02 from Pacific Sales in San Dimas, CA. This is a side-by-side model with a built-in ice maker. The machine worked fine for the first 1

Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator icemaker problems - In July, 2002, we purchased a Kitchen Superba Model #KSRG25FKWH02 from Pacific Sales in San Dimas, CA. This is a side-by-side model with a built-in ice maker. The machine worked fine for the first 1-1/2 years. Then, the ice maker stopped working.

Consumer follow-up message - January 31, 2005 - From: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_70223# Consumer

Dear Complaints.com, Thanks for your assistance. Whirlpool's customer service did investigate my complaint, and they have repaired the problem. Again, thanks for your help. Gary M

Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerator icemaker problems - Claremont, CA

We called a Kitchenaid-certified repair business called All Appliance in Pomona, CA, and they sent a repairman out. The repairman diagnosed a faulty circuit board where the ice maker's on-off switch is located.

He replaced that at a cost of about $150.00. The ice maker still didn't work. We called the repairman back out, and he told us that that an electric panel would have to be replaced. This would cost several hundred more dollars, not including labor. Not knowing whether to trust the repairman, given his first, wrong diagnosis, we declined the repair. We called Kitchenaid, and they told us the ice maker problem wasn't covered under the machine's warranty, and that the best they could do would be to send one of their certified repair services out. Overall, Kitchenaid's customer service was not very helpful. We declined their offer for service. A Google search turned up several references to Kitchenaid side-by-side refrigerators and problems with their ice makers. Apparently, there is a problem with the door design that results in broken wiring. According to two complaints I found on e-opinions.com, the entire freezer door has to be replaced. One post noted that the repairman they dealt with had remarked that they had already replaced 5 freezer doors on Kitchenaid machines. Another post claimed that Kitchenaid's customer service department had acknowledged a problem with the ice maker and freezer door. It seems to me that such a design problem ought to be covered by Kitchenaid. Certainly, one ought to expect to be able to get more than two years out an ice maker in a relatively pricey refrigerator. The problem here doesn't seem to be a wear-and-tear issue.

Rather, it is due to poor design and/or poor quality control. Kitchenaid ought to stand behind their product given what appears to be a large number of complaints. Yet, they don't. Now I'm faced with an overall repair expense that's more than one-third the value of the purchased price of the refrigerator. In the future, I will certainly not buy a Kitchenaid product, and I will recommend that all my friends and co-workers boycott Kitchenaid.

Gary M Gary M Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_70223# Consumer

801e7f78, 2008-08-31, 03:14PM CDT

We too have replaced the boards in a Superba Kitchen Aid fridge with icemaker

problems. Our light is red and it won't fill or make ice but we have water through the door.

Any ideas?

34dea6d4, 2008-10-28, 11:58PM CDT

yep us too, never again will I buy a kitaid product!

35a515ae, 2008-11-24, 02:56PM CST

having exact same issue with our Superba

has any fix or recall been issued?

e258b77f, 2008-12-20, 08:38PM CST

We bought a Kitchenaid model KSRG22FTBT01 June 26 from Brandsmart in Miami, now Dec 20th, we have no ice. I've cleaned ice inside ans still no ice. Forget about Kitchenaid in the future

4ff3ef09, 2009-02-18, 09:03PM CST

icemaker not working on our new kitchenaid superba side by side, no water is geting to the icemaker. It is out of water is geting to the icemaker. What should I do?

bedfe4ed, 2009-06-15, 08:35AM CDT

We have the same problem, started after 6 months. The only reason that we purchased this model was for the ice maker. I will never buy another Kitchen Aide. This was purchased from Sears and they were equally uncooperative. I think I'm done with Sears too. Will stick to Lowe's, they have never given me a problem.

801e7f78, 2009-07-13, 09:05AM CDT

We buy ice and put it in the dispenser.

We too will never buy or recommend a KitchenAid appliance again. Once the company became aware of this design issue it should have corrected it and recalled the defective model.

Kathy W.

Macon, GA

12115516, 2009-07-22, 10:44AM CDT

We have had the same problem. The first time the ice maker failed (after 18 months) the repairman was able to splice the wires (at a repair cost of about $300) That lasted for about 2 years and then it failed again. This time teh repairman ordered a new wire kit. Whem it arrived, he was unable to use it. We then called Whirlpool who told us the part was "unserviceable" and that we would need to replace the door. We had already spent another $250 for the repair visits and now they wanted us to replace the door. I spoke with an agent named Tammy, from Cleveland who tried to help and ordered a new door on October 14. She said it would take 6-8 weeks. We waited several months and learned that the order for the new door was cancelled by some unknown party at Whirlpool the same day it was entered. To say that was SLEASY behavior is an understatement.

bea94c5d, 2009-07-31, 11:50AM CDT

After 3 years we too have the same problem and it's disturbing on how much money people have spent for nothing. If anyone has a solution, I hope you'll share it. It's hard to believe that Kitchen-Aid is not being supportive. I thought they were a superior brand.

017a6f25, 2009-11-22, 05:17PM CST

I too have the same problem with my kitchen aid refrigerator. It seems to me that they charge outrageous amount to

purchase their so called great product

and their only response is always sorry

can't help you. I now have to purchase ice and pour it into the freezer so the

illusion that it works makes me somehow feel better. What about the better business bureau has anyone tried that?

6fbdb862, 2010-01-05, 09:26PM CST

I found the solution to the problem that worked for me. There are two sensors one on each side of the freezer walls. One is by the flap that keeps the ice from dumping out and the other sensor is directly across from it by the ice maker control switch. These are very small holes. Take a cotton swab and alcohol and put in the holes where the sensors are. When these are cleaned the icemaker should work.

258aa115, 2010-01-28, 07:53PM CST

We have had our Stainless Architect Kitchen Aid for about 9 years now. We have had all sorts of problems from the beginning. Thanks God we bought the extended warranty, which we have to keep buying because the problems never stop. We have had the entire freezer door replaced, the circuit boards replaced, new ice maker. The water in the water dispenser is never cold and for this we have had a repairman come several times and he claims this happens because the refrigerator is a counter depth. We have had a ball of ice on the freezer wall from the beginning, and the technician's solution for this problem on a $2,800 refrigerator was to put silicone around the inside seal. At the present time, we have to scrape the ice off of the ice dispenser everyday because the shoot doesn't seal properly and warm air gets in. We have also had numerous issues with the dishwasher and the microwave. So far no problems with the oven. My husband and I do our homework on everything we buy, especially on a $7,000 purchase for all the Kitchen Aid appliances and everywhere we went everyone said Kitchen Aid was the best. We are extremely disappointed with Kitchen Aid products. We have had enough with our refrigerator and have decided to replace it for a Samsung.

b33a083c, 2010-04-21, 09:50PM CDT

I bought a kitchenaid side by side with ice/water dispenser 9 mo ago. The ice maker bucket freezes up on the inside of the door. Had service 5 times. They said the last two times to take bucket out every 2 weeks and unthaw and wipe down inside of door bucket area. I say its a Piece of shit Lemon. If I forget the bucket will freeze to door and stops making ice. I did'nt buy a new fridge to have to jack with it every 2 weeks!. I'd never buy another Kitchenaid. I heard the design has been used for years and they have been selling this lemon design for years. They won't fix it and I'd never buy this kitchenaid junk again.

b522d8cc, 2010-06-21, 11:08AM CDT

I have the kitchenaid architect series - fridge, oven, dishwasher, and microwave. I'm on hold right now with kitchenaid to arrange yet another service call for these piece of junk (yet high priced) appliances. My current problem - ice maker stopped working on the fridge and stove has an error code on the panel. Again. But..my microwave, after $300 (and 5 visits) of attempted repairs is being junked since the latest proposed fix is a $240+labor door replacement with no guarantee of working. My oven has been repaired twice and now needs it again. All that's left is the dishwasher...i'm sure that's right around the corner. I'm so FURIOUS at kitchenaid for their terrible quality, even worse service, and the fact that they just get away with it. Buyer beware - stay AWAY. Far far away.

b2575ca5, 2010-06-30, 06:28PM CDT

I have the same fridge. I had Sears out here to work on my ice maker and water dispenser, both of which failed YEARS ago and I finally decided to try to get it fixed. I have a Kitchen Aid Model KSCS25FKSS01 that is approximately 9 years old. There is a cable harness that travels up the freezer door to power the ice and water dispenser. Several years ago the water dispenser broke, and 9 mo ago the ice dispenser also stopped working. The cause of these failures is a poor choice of armor cladding around the cable harness that feeds power up the door. After a period of time the armor cladding fails and subsequently the current carrying wires fray and become exposed and break. This is a serious electrical shock hazard given the location of this failure and its proximity to the bottom left front of the fridge where the metal doors are located. The Manufacturer refuses to address the issue, despite my overhearing the senior technician to whom the on site technician was consulting, that it is "a very common issue with that model fridge" and he knew EXACTLY where to direct the onsite tech to look for the problem. Given how many people are also reporting similar issues on the Internet, this is clearly a design flaw in this model. Kitchen Aid customer service indicated that since the product is out of warranty they are not responsible for looking after this defect despite it clearly being a design flaw (they used the wrong armor cladding on the cables) despite my pointing out the electrical shock hazard associated with this. The cables in question carry 110V up to the control head in the door!

That is it for me and Kitchen Aid. Never again. I have filed complaints on this issue with both the Consumer Products Division of Health Canada as well and the US Consumer Products Commission as this is a very serious electrical hazard and the manufacturer is completely unwilling to take responsibility for their design flaw. Kitchen Aid expects customers to fork over $800 for a new door! Absolutely ridiculous given the circumstances of this issue.

b2575ca5, 2010-07-03, 10:14PM CDT

Kitchen Aid called me yesterday - this time a more senior person, only to tell me they felt they had no responsibility to assist me and that I should pay the $800 to replace my freezer door. The lady also advised me that if I was not prepared to pay for the door that I should UNPLUG my fridge!! These clowns are unbelievable! This one is going viral folks.

b2575ca5, 2010-07-03, 10:15PM CDT

5d7fc6d5, 2010-07-21, 12:35PM CDT

I have the kitchenaid side by side also. My ice maker stopped working. The repairman said 300.00 for the repair. I buy ice and put it in there. I know that from the complaints it's the best fix. I spent 5,000.00 on this fridge with custom cabinetry on the doors. Last time for something that is a design flaw.

fab3bbac, 2010-08-07, 07:11AM CDT

I too have the same broken wire issue that controls the ice maker and water dispenser.

About 4 years ago our local dealer repaired the ONE wire that broke. The same non-functioning issue popped up again about 2 1/2 years ago so I looked at the harness and repaired FOUR wires including the badly repaired first attempt by our local dealer. Now I'm facing the same issue again. It is a VERY bad design. Too much stress on the wires. They flex and bend in a manner that wire is not supposed to be subjected to every time you open and close the door.

The refrigerator is about 7 years old and NOBODY will do a thing about it except tell us that it is out of warranty.

Kitchen Aid? NEVER again!!!

5680c6c6, 2010-09-02, 05:02PM CDT

Same thing here...

at first the ice would all start clumping up, and then it was overfilling eventually it stopped working. My fatherinlaw just ordered

a new icemaker from kitchenaid which

cost him 130$ but after reading this I'm thinking it might be useless to try and repair it.

5d52b62d, 2010-09-20, 10:27AM CDT

SAME PROBLEM, NO ICE, WHAT A RIP OFF

c97932a4, 2011-05-25, 10:05PM CDT

I bought my superba as a used item shortly thereafter the water stopped working in the door. Four years later no ice there is a major manufacture defect with this refrigerator.

5680c6c6, 2011-07-03, 01:04PM CDT

In my original comment I said it might be useless to try and fix it myself after purchasing the part from kitchenaid, it was a succesfull fix,

and is still running good, however

when we fixed it somehow the water dispenser went out :(

We didn't bother trying to fix that

36d2d19f, 2011-10-03, 07:12PM CDT

i'd like to make sure we all have the same problem before i tear in to the door on my kitchenaid POS. my water dispenser works, the ice "dispenser" works, it will not make ice inside the unit. if we make ice the old fashioned way, in trays, and dump it in the hopper, it will crush and dispense it properly. the tray will not fill. the hose from the solenoid is open. my first thought is the solenoid isnt opening, any thoughts?

ca27e614, 2012-06-04, 11:02AM CDT

Same problem, fixed more than once. Never ever again, Kichenaid no more.

jay, 2013-10-08, 06:25PM CDT

same here pathetic 5 times in 5 years bullshit. I bought it from the Brick in Mississauga so pissed 2500.00 fridge you think you are buying quality. never again. I never fuckin knew an ice machine is rocket science.

jay, 2013-10-08, 06:28PM CDT

not just 5 repairs on ice machine in 5 years but it leaked water from the supply line and flooded my basement luckily it wasn't finished but the kicker is my neighbour has the same fridge and it flooded his, but his basement was finished 10000 damage. Never Never again will I buy any kitchen aid product and the repair company trans global pure garbage, can't fix a frigin ice machine