USBI - USBI - I am a victim of fraud called telephone cramming which is a scam that places unauthorized charges on a consumer's local telephone bill by a third party billing company like USBI.

Posted on Thursday, November 18th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 1eeb3559

Company: USBI

Category: Unauthorized Charges

I am a victim of fraud called telephone cramming which is a scam that places unauthorized charges on a consumer's local telephone bill by a "third party billing" company like USBI. Cramming charges normally appear hidden on local phone bills and in very general terms, such as service fee, service charge or monthly fee.

These or other unauthorized charges can be crammed onto a consumer's telephone bill without the consumer even knowing the companies involved in this fraud, like Tralee Telephone or USBI. Cincinnati Bell keeps charging me an additional $15.14 each month and they say they are not responsible because it is "third party billing". I have told Cincinnati Bell verbally and in writing that "I am not financially liable for any unauthorized charges" but Cincinnati Bell will not accept my statement. Cincinnati Bell demands I pay them for these unauthorized charges and confirms that my unpaid balance will affect my credit rating reports. USBI the "third party billing" company said they are not responsible because they are providing a service. The unauthorized charges originated from Tralee Telephone unsoliciticed and unknown. Cincinnati Bell has listed the following "Itemized Calls" every month on my phone bill from Tralee Telephone billed by USBI.

Savings Plus Monthly Fee $13.90

Universal Service Fund $1.24 Someone went to a website, entered my home phone number without my permission and submitted the fraudulent information to begin my billing nightmare. Cincinnati Bell said it is up to me to pursue this fraud, to catch the culprit and to try and get my money back. Cincinnati Bell will not help me. Cincinnati Bell blindly accepts any phone number submitted by any third party billing company with no

questions asked. Cincinnati Bell could ask the third party billing company if the name and address they are submitting to be charged matches the Cincinnati Bell name and address paying the phone bill each month (me). The third party billing company could ask Cincinnati Bell if the name and address matches their records. NOPE. Nobody cares. Cincinnati Bell could call the phone number to ask (me) if the charges were authorized. Cincinnati Bell

could send a letter to the residential consumer (me) to notify them, and say heads up, because we are going to start billing you each month, and maybe even ask if the charges were authorized. Someone could call and ask me if the charges were authorized. Cincinnati Bell could "freeze" the account or "hold" applying the new charges until they could verify if

the charges were authorized. NOPE. NOTHING. Cincinnati Bell will not help, no phone call and no letter and no warnings. Cincinnati Bell will not try to prevent this fraud and will not try to help victims of this fraud. This fraud is a national problem. Write to all authorities. File complaints with the FCC and the FTC. Norman

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_70332# Consumer

d3ec6880, 2007-12-17, 10:36AM CST

I just received an "UNAUTHORISED" USBI charge on my phone bill. This charge was not authorised by anyone in my household, and this company is an out right SCAM operation, working in my opinion in conjuction with the phone companpies that bill you. There should be NO THIRD PARTY CHARGES by the billing phone compnay without some kind of safe guard authorisation from the addressee on the billing.

SO I SAY STOP THESE SCAMS NOW, BEFORE SOMEONE GETS HURT!

2b4814a2, 2008-04-16, 03:09PM CDT

USBI has been charging my phone literally between 50.00 - 180.00/mo since August 07 (it is now April 08). The charges showed up out of nowhere after having my home phone number for three years without any problems. Needless to say, I have refused to pay them a penny for charges I have not incurred, I have done everything suggested by Verizon and, I have yet to be able to stop the charges. This includes being on the phone literally for hours with Verizon and USBI. I have had my inside and outside lines checked, I have gone from a portable to an old-school phone. I am now paying to have an ineffectual call-blocker on my phone, since they NOW claim the calls are originating from a 10-10 number. I have tried everything and Verizon has been virtually useless. I have told them that USBI haws a horrendous reputation for fraud. They claim due to the "relationship with MCI" USBI is allowed to add their charges to a verizon customer's bill.

As a result, I will be leaving Verizon and have to change my phone number. It could also affect my immpecable credit because I absolutely refuse to pay for calls I never placed. Someone has hi-jacked my number and NOONE can tell me how this has happened or how to stop the billing.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

063eb41a, 2008-04-16, 03:50PM CDT

I was scammed by the same company. They called claiming they were Verizon. There was some technician screw up that messed up lines in my area and they were fixing them right away. I just needed to verify with a 3rd party. She hand fed me all the correct answers with explainations for why I was giving them. This would speed up the repair process. I was sceptical because the caller id showed unknown number and the lady asked if I had a second line and what the number was. I asked, didn't she know if she was Verizon? She had great answers for everything. I called Verizon immediately. I was told there were no problems with my line and they would not have called me if there were. They would have just fixed it. I did have a "freeze" on my out of state long distance so Verizon said not to worry. I just received my phone bill and realised that my local toll service had been changed. Verizon has straightened it out and put a freeze on my local toll service also but what a pain in the but.

8d8bc08d, 2008-05-07, 04:45PM CDT

I had the same problem and filed a online complaint with the FCC. Here is the link http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

03f36b49, 2008-06-20, 12:12AM CDT

i have some wierd charges on my phone bill that say we ordered service through usbi and we never did, how do i get rid of these charges? and how so i get rid of this company? please let me now because i am not paying for the long distance charges nobody in my house made. and i want this service disconnected asap. thank you chrystel

e0f73000, 2008-09-11, 04:18PM CDT

I also consider myself a vitcim of this scam. I was initially told that my phone services would be reduced, come to find out that my statements have increased and I already had the same service. I refuse to pay them a penny. Folks this is out right fraud. Watch out for this company since your regular phone provider cannot do a thing. You must contact USBI to cease the service and you must repeat the request several times. DO NOT PAY THEM A PENNY!

76ad2d09, 2008-09-11, 08:33PM CDT

USBI has been appearing on my phone bill on and off for several months. I have talked to AT&T, but they "say" they cannot do a thing about it. The only thing they would do is block them from my telephone which hasn't done a thing from them stealing my money. I keep calling them and cancelling this service, as they say "we have cancelled the service" a service that I have not given permission in the first place. Now I have a $297 charge again on my phone bill. I am angry that such companies can rip many people off like this.

42836feb, 2008-09-24, 03:14PM CDT

THE SAME HAPPENED TO ME. I CALLED MY PHONE PROVIDER AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I SIGN UP WITH USBI. SO I CALLLED USBI AND THEY TOLD ME THE SAME THING, THAT I HAD SIGN UP WITH THEM. I TOLD THEM TO PROVE IT AND THEY PLAY A AUDIO RECORDING OF SOME SPANISH GUY PRETENDING IT WAS ME AND I DON'T EVEN SPEAK SPANISH. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO CALL YOUR PHONE PROVIDER AND TELL THEM TO BLOCK ALL THIRD PARTY COMPANYS. AND NOTIRY THE FCC. HERE IS THE LINK FOR FCC COMPLAINT HTTP://FCC.GOV/CGB/COMPLAINTS.HTML

ec45b177, 2008-10-08, 04:41PM CDT

I work for a large telecom company -- this type of charge usually is put on a customer's telephone account when someone answered a "survey" or contest online ("just answer a few questions and win a $100 gift card, iPod, etc...."). A disclosure will pop up (most people don't read) stating that by agreeing to this, customer will be billed $xx.xx per month on their phone bill. You can dispute the charges, some phone companies will assist you in stopping the billing and/or crediting your account the charges. READ your phone bill, and call immed. if there are suspicious charges.

4ddea1b8, 2008-10-10, 12:49PM CDT

I too was slammed. How do I get my money back. My service was with ATT. ATT told me I had to request a refund from USBI. Of course USBI denied any wrong doing. This happended 2 months in a row. After the first month I call and told them to stop. Then they did it again!!

8bf53d2e, 2008-11-25, 12:51PM CST

THE COMPANY I WORK IS ALSO A VICTOM OF THIS SCAM. USBI CHARGED $900.63 ..

WE HAVE RECORDS OF RCEIVEING A TELEMARKETING CALL STATING THEY ARE AT & T AND ASKING FOR OUR SATIFACTION ON OUR LONG DISTANCE SERVICES ANS THEY MENTIONED THEY WERE RECORDING THE CONVERSATION FOR SECURITY AND THEY ASK FOR THE NAME OF WHO THEY WERE SPEAKING TO AND THEN ASKED L KINDS OF QUESTIONS LIKE ARE YOU SATISFIED WITH THE SERVICES THEN THEY HAVE YOUR VOICE RECORDED SAYING "YES" AND THATS HOW THEY SCAM YOU.I RESEARCHED AND COMPLAINED TO THE FTC(FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION) ONLINE AFTER TRYING TO RESOLVE THIS AND GETTING THE RUN AROUND FROM AT & T AND USBI.HERE;S THE WEBSITE TO COMPLAIN AND HOPE WE CAN ALL STEP ON THIS FRAUD COMPANY(USBI)

ec45b177, 2008-11-26, 02:39AM CST

I work for a major telecom company in the western US. These 3rd party billing charges are a real problem these days. USUALLY they appear on your phone bill if you ever enter an online contest or survey and give out your tel. no. ("Win a free Target gift card just for answering these questions"). Your local phone company "should" help you dispute them and sometimes can request that they stop billing. With some it is up to the customer to call the 3rd party. Be firm, be adamant that you did not order or authorize the charges or the services. Document when you called them, the name and ID # of the rep. etc. and what they told you. LOOK AT YOUR BILL every month and if you see something "funny" call your phone co. immediately. Don't be a victim!

45da6f6e, 2008-11-26, 02:56PM CST

My mom has been a victim of this scam,. My sister accidently gave her information(she's underage)when they promised her whatnot.After that my mom has been getting bills from a third party company USBI claiming that she gave permission to change to them even though SHE DID NOT!!!!they tricked my little sister into giving out her imformation. They showed her a recording of her approving to their request wich is my little sister talking to them on the phone but they don't show the part where they promised her all these false things. We have been victims of this viscious scam!!!

3599d38a, 2008-12-05, 11:31PM CST

I am not a victim of telephone cramming. However I am a victim of Cincinnati Bell's customer service not willing to address any complaint.

It does not surprise me that you have billing issues. My bill was never the amount they originaly proposed.

The main problem is that their wireless division is outsourced to a Canadian company. They are unwllling to address problems because they have nothing at stake in the success of Cincinnati Bell.

cdbe4d6d, 2008-12-29, 01:33PM CST

Same SCAM!!!

Same companies, same station, same Method of Operation!

Filed complaints with FCC & FTC & my telephone service provider.

Froze any third party charges availability.

When I phoned USBI, they are really remarkable scammers with untold excuses and extreme BS!!

The guy I spoke with was named Rex (ID#87688), whom clearly was Asian.........what Asian do you know that's named Rex???

God Help Us All!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fa0c908a, 2009-02-26, 07:28AM CST

So sorry to hear you are having the same problem as I.

I contacted USBI who responded that I would hear back within 5 days. Of course I did not.

I believe my telephone service should protect their customers.

I have told Verizon if this charge is not removed I will disconnect my home phone....and I mean it too!

501cd9b4, 2009-02-27, 06:01PM CST

I got scammed by USBI too.

Amazing people try to do business like that.

We're not paying our bill to them, and filing an FCC complaint.

Sarah Townes

d67a5a75, 2009-02-28, 05:27PM CST

I am also a victim of this same USBI through AT@T MISSOURI,first it was for $31.97,now for $15.97,shows up as late ,payment due,please pay immediently.just spoke to AT@T rep,who was no help,he wants me to pay past due on a service I don't owe.this is a nightmare,I already spoke with the utilities commissioner last month,etc,AT@T reps all say something different,depends on which one I get,this one today tell me I must pay this $15.97 that I don't owe.it is crazy.

3863e25b, 2009-07-20, 04:49PM CDT

You can call your phone service provider and ask that they place a credit on your account for the amount that USBI charged, but you also have to call USBI and get mean with them about crediting the amount. Good luck!

60443acb, 2009-07-31, 12:51PM CDT

I am also the victim of this scam which I consider only a computer/email fraud. My phone company is Qwest communications. I have been billed around thirty dollars extra from USBI each month for the last 2 months.When I called and ask USBI, they said I singned up for their long destince service on 5/27/09 which I never did. They said I did that on the computer, I do not remember doing anything like that. What I am thinking is that I may have opened/clicked on some scam email which scammed me and now billing me for no reason. I have decided to go to ocurt over this if they do not stop and if they do not repay/refund my money.

b6fc888b, 2009-09-30, 02:22PM CDT

I work for Cincinnati Bell and when I have a customer that calls in with a 3rd Party charge I always tell them to first call that company and if they have no luck with the company I will refund the 3rd Party charge. Not only that but we also offer a 3rd Party Charge block that you can add to your account for free. That will put a stop to those third party charges.

2bc9d62c, 2009-11-02, 12:16PM CST

SAME THING HAPPENED WITH MY PARENTS PHONE LINE WITH ATNT, THIS SERVICE WAS SUPPOSIBLY ADDED THROUGH THE INTERNET UNDER MY WIFES NAME, IT WAS A SERVICE OF A PRIVATE VOICE MAIL SO THEN CAME THE WORSE TO MY HEAD...I WAS REAL MAD AT MY WIFE AND HAD A BIG ARGUMENT NOT UNTIL I SEARCHED ONLINE FOR SOME INFO ABOUT THIS AND UNTIL THEN WAS WHEN I RELIEVED...I BELIEVE EVERY PHONE PROVIDER SHOULD PROTECT THEIR CUSTOMERS AS WE TAKE CARE OF THEM BY GIVING THEM BUSINESS...

611d6d4f, 2010-06-14, 10:12AM CDT

I had also just found the same charges on my bill. I called the usbi number provided on my phone bill and explained that i have unlimited long distance through my current carrier. It made no sence for me to have their services and they removed the charges. I also contacted my phone company and they are also filing a complaint. They have been putting unauthorized charges for the past 7 months and i had no idea. Good luck everybody

2edac098, 2010-07-22, 12:22AM CDT

somebody should go to san antonio & crush john smiths skull... or whoever the motherfuckers are thar are behind this usbi bullshit... maybe i'll make a trip to texas... anyone game for some john smith baseball... watch i'll be arrested for making threats... but this douche bag can steal all kinds of money & get away with it... fuck that bullshit

4b2f4456, 2011-02-17, 08:25PM CST

My mom is also a victim of this USBI, We dont even know what that is ,and I ant going to pay "So, How do we do this ,handel this situation $16.52 cents can by me a meal for a few days. Time is already hard U ant gone take our money.

4b2f4456, 2011-02-17, 08:27PM CST

22a4786b, 2013-01-25, 04:56PM CST

I just got my bill and saw USBI on there charging me $45, thanks for all the info. Going straight to the FCC and not paying that amount.

My bill is the same every month so it was a shock to see that charge, how can they get away with this. Maybe just cancel service all together.

Patti H., 2014-01-16, 06:07AM CST

I am having the same problem with these same scammers, how they got me was USBI called me and claimed to be my own phone company and told me they were changing carriers and put me thru the steps and did this illegally and then got my phone bill and there were $10.00 worth of long distance phone calls on my bill which was absolutely rediculous because i had unlimited calling plus a five year price lock with my phone company so at the time I called my phone company and asked them why I was getting charged for long distance when I had unlimited calling and they told me that I was the one that switched which I DID NOT!!!! so with all that done I had to pay my phone company to switch me back to them and then everything was ok until a month later when I got my bill there was another long distant charges on my bill, These USBI scamming asswholes illegally took my account back without my permission and are TRYING to steal money from me I will NOT pay for something I did not authorise, so finally with all these problems I cancelled my phone company which they told me that it would follow me with my current ph company and went with my previous phone company they lost me as a customer because they did'nt want to do anything about it and as far as i'm concerned they should have done something about it. We as the customers should be protected against idiots like USBI thes people are criminals and should be prossecuted to fullest extent of the law and be liable to pay back all the money they have stollen from innocent people and be put out of business and locked up.. If normal(US) people were to do something like this we would be locked up in prison for the rest of our lives, but these son of a bitches are allowed to get away with it. I can't believe they are still in business scamming people. why have'nt authorities done anything about this!!! I am going to find out who to report these idiots maybe the FCC? I am not paying them not one red dime!!!!