Posted on Sunday, May 9th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 76f73678

Company: I don't even know who I'm speaking to but I have a complaint for you. I am a retired and disabled american veteran, served my country for over twenty years, was diagnosed with a severe back problem that the Army

Good evening.

I don't even know who I'm speaking to but I have a complaint for you. I am a retired and disabled american veteran, served my country for over twenty years, was diagnosed with a severe back problem that the Army wanted to medically discharge me for only to find that Congress passed a law that if you're within a year of retirement, you just have to retire when your time is up.

I still have the same condition that I had while active duty, I'm being treated for it as we speak but the problem is, I am not employed, am unemployable because of my condition and I am not making any money to pay my bills!

I have submitted a request to the VA for compensation for my disabilities, it's been over four months since that was in January of this year and the most I know now is that they want me to see a VA contracted Dr. Why, what that entails, I just don't know but I am a disabled american veteran and I've been thrown out to the wolves! Is this how we treat the citizens that serve and protect our american livelyhood?

I sacrificed over 20 years of my life to be treated like this now, in my time of need? I'm sick of seeing all of this crap on TV about what is, or isn't going right over in Iraq. If someone, anyone were to pay as much attention to me, someone that has already served, sacrificed and paid a price for whatever our nations interestes might have been, at whatever time, I think I might just be able to get served.

I'm a veteran, can't use that term enough because some people don't know what it means. Additionally, I'm a disabled veteran, currently incapable of working, paying my bills and generally just living. I'm told that I might recieve a letter in the mail, within the next couple of weeks telling me that I have an appointment to see a VA contracted doctor to verify whatever physical shortcomings I might have. I haven't been able to work since I retired! I have exausted my savings and am facing possibly having to live out of my car beginning June 1st.

Is this how America thanks those who've served their country? I may not be the only case but I can say this much, I didn't sacrifice 20 years of my life to be treated like this. My country has an obligation to not necessarily honor me for my service, but take care of me when I'm down, especially when I'm down because of my service. And I don't mean take care of me within a year of my retirement, I mean take care of me now. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that I, as a disabled veteran should be facing what I'm faced with right now. It's just not right! Whether americans support, or disagree with whatever our nation is involved in, I was there and I served!

I spent eight years of my life overseas, two of which were in a third world country. After my last tour overseas, I hated being away from the US. I longed for it, missed even the luxery of having electricity and water on a constant basis. I have definitely endured a great many sacrifices in the service of my country yet, this is how they treat me.

Roy W

Roy W

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //