AOL - AOL - view on customers from AOL employee that works in the Retention Department

Posted on Wednesday, March 31st, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 13c06767

Company: AOL

Location: JACKSON, FLORIDA

Category: Internet Services

I am an AOL employee and just happened to stumble upon this website. I work in the Retention Department and I have been there a little over six months. I just want to say that my complaint is that half of these people who are complaining about their bills and services they supposedly did not sign up for aren't even telling the whole truth.

Why, you ask would they lie or make things up. It's not so much that but, rather than listening to the consultant they are speaking to or trying to help us work through the problem they get on the phone screaming and cussing about, "You M***** F******, are you stupid, I want my money back, and your going to give it to me or I'm going to kick your A$$."

The funny thing is I listen to these members everyday and I try to help them as much as possible but, in the end they don't get anything out of me if they treat me that way and the money I dont give to them goes to the members who treat me with respect and take responsibilities for their actions wrather trying to put it off on someone else. I'm not saying that mistakes don't happen and that I don't understand their frustration but, they need to take a step back and look at it from our view point. Everyday we get to sit and listen to people screaming at us for things we as the consultants didn't even do.

We only get so much that we can work with and that is all we've got and half the time if you would just listen to what we are saying instead of listening to what YOU want to hear you would understand and we can get it fixed. We are incapable of starting an account, signing you up for a premium service, or anything of the sort. You yourself have to do that from YOUR HOME COMPUTER or YOU have to request it after extensive verification and someone calls up and signs you up for it than they never should have had that information to begin with.

So, to sum it up. Please try to be a little more understanding when you call us that without us you don't get anything accomplished. We hold the key to anything that gets done or doesn't get done for that matter, to help you. The ruder and more hateful you are the less you will get out of me. So next time you want to call AOL and rant and rave, just remember that you get a lot more flies with sugar than you do vinegar.

Sincerely,

Anonymous AOL Supporter

c458eec9, 2008-11-05, 10:16AM CST

I think it's funny you can spell anonymous, yet you mispell a simple word like rather..btw it isn't wrather..also why should we customers be nice when all we are trying to do is get back our hard earned money you vultures are taking for services not ordered and not wanted..besides it's usually the reps who get rude and ugly first forcing us to retaliate then you force us to go to consumer agencies and lodge formal complaints because you are holding our money and or our credit rating hostage..getting less out of you has nothing to do with being rude, all it has to do with is asking you to do your job, do it right the first time, and do it legally...taking my money for something I did not order, do not use and do not want is stealing! You want sugar sweet customers? Well then, get your hands out of our pockets!!

4bd2eeab, 2010-11-04, 08:26AM CDT

I used to work for AOL in the Billing/CAT department.. and I would have to agree with the original poster.. It is hard to issue credit to someone that is threatening to physically harm you-- in fact, its against the the law to threaten to physically harm a person, and considered a federal offense if it is done over state lines.. Keep that in mind the next time you get on the phone with a customer service representative.. Also, keep in mind that we don't know what you want when you first call in-- but to start cussing us out right out of the gate.. You wouldn't believe how many times I've wanted to say, "And you kiss your mother with that mouth?" Please understand, I know its frustrating to see charges on your bill that you don't remember making.. maybe from a free trial.. maybe from when one of your children popped in one of our cds.. But we cannot create accounts for you without a detailed verification.. and if the person over the phone has that information, what else can we do but believe them? We don't throw blame (Or at least we didn't when I worked there)and we aren't to blame. We're there to help you.

The moral of this comment-- please be nice to the customer service representatives... We don't get paid enough to put up with Bull s***. Thank you and have a wonderful day.