Georgi Gravel; complaint - INTERSKATE 91 NORTH, Hadley, MA - mouse discovered in room

Posted on Tuesday, March 16th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 4d7fe8cc

Company: Georgi Gravel; complaint

INTERSKATE 91 NORTH, Hadley, MA - mouse discovered in room

Business Reply - March 10, 2005 - From: //

Reply to complaint by Georgi G., March 2004, "Mice on Skates," Interskate 91 North, Hadley, MA

Dear Complaints.com:

Thank you for allowing for a response to consumer complaints. It goes a long way to demonstrate your site as an impartial sounding board. We value feedback from our guests and always listen to their concerns. Our 25 year history of serving the surrounding communities is testimony to our ability to keep customers happy with our facility and the experiences they enjoy when visiting us.

Following is the text of our formal reply that was submitted to the BBB for our area. I submit it to you as my formal reply as well. The response from the BBB is reproduced as well. I believe it speaks for itself.

Begin letter:

Kelly Jarrett

Dispute Resolution Coordinator

Better Business Bureau

293 Bridge Street, Suite 409

Springfield, MA 01103-1402

RE: Georgi Gravel; complaint

Dear Ms. Jarrett:

Thank you for informing me of the complaint your bureau received. We value all of our customers and make great efforts to resolve any concerns. It is unfortunate when an occurrence such as this takes place, and I respect the role of the Better Business Bureau in attempting to resolve issues presented. I hope I am able to provide you with some further and useful insight.

Interskate 91 has an excellent reputation throughout the greater western Mass. area for providing safe recreation and fun in a clean, wholesome, and supervised facility. The number of groups, organizations, and individuals that repeatedly trust us with their special events speaks highly of the standards we maintain and the level of satisfaction we provide our customers. We have never failed any municipal inspection and welcome any scrutiny of our operations and facilities. Like all businesses, if we occasionally fall short, we willingly make amends. Unfortunately, Mrs. Gravel’s situation was difficult at best.

Even though the complaint contains some inaccuracies, suppositions, and embellishments, I choose not to offer a point by point rebuttal. I believe doing so would only demonstrate pettiness. Some simple facts: Mrs. Gravel purchased our most popular package, the “Ultimate Super Party.” She repeatedly expressed her extreme satisfaction with every aspect of the party, not only to the manager on duty, the hostess, and myself, but also later in her written communications, to you and others. The guests had a great time in our facility. After food service had taken place, Mrs. Gravel discovered a dead mouse, not in the seating area, but on the opposite side of a wall, and indicated she had seen a live one as well. She informed the manager on duty, Mr. Mitch Kuc, who had mall maintenance promptly remove the offending rodent. Mall maintenance removed the mouse, as the area in question happens to be a utility area for mall electrical, HVAC, and neon signage, despite what Mrs. Gravel may believe. This area is behind a four foot high mural wall and, yes, was dirty; dusty and littered with random pieces of paper.

Mr. Kuc attempted to discuss the finding with Mrs. Gravel, apologizing for the situation and explaining that the area in question, behind the wall, was an access area for the mall. Even so, he would have the dead mouse removed. In addition, for the inconvenience, Mr. Kuc offered free passes for the 16 children in attendance, valued at $88.00. Mrs. Gravel refused the gesture but would not allow further discussion or offer a suggested resolution. Instead, she adamantly insisted that Mr. Kuc “call the owner,” using rough and offensive language. Mr. Kuc later indicated to me that, at this point, he had the distinct impression that Mrs. Gravel, in his opinion, was trying to capitalize on the situation and was “looking for a free ride.”

Mrs. Gravel’s praise of Mr. Kuc’s ability is noted and appreciated, as he is more than qualified and capable of handling any concern. Why is it she would not allow the man in charge to do his job? Every business, large or small, has management and staff in place to serve customers and respond to any situation that arises. When management is on hand, one would not normally expect the president of “Applebee’s” to be present, in a restaurant, or the chairman of “AMF Bowling” to be available on Sunday afternoon. These businesses, and presumably most others, have follow up systems in place, as does Interskate 91, to handle grievances if management cannot resolve them on the spot. Mrs. Gravel rejected these systems, instead choosing to use “off color” remarks and threats (not that we felt threatened) to strong arm Mr. Kuc into contacting me, at home. After hearing Mr. Kuc’s explanation of the situation and understanding that Mrs. Gravel continually refused to discuss the matter with him, I decided to make the trip into Hadley, thus circumventing our own procedures.

Needless to say, I was mildly perturbed with the situation as I made the 25 minute drive to Hadley. Upon arrival, I introduced myself to Mrs. Gravel. As we walked to the party room, she praised Mr. Kuc, the hostess and staff, and the facility in general. Mrs. Gravel stated she had seen a mouse (mice), behind the wall, and offered to show me digital pictures. I politely declined. When I attempted to discuss the situation, Mrs. Gravel became enraged and began using course language and expletives, again making threats as to her ultimate course of action. Not wishing to allow further deterioration of an already tense situation, I “cut to the chase” and asked Mrs. Gravel to frankly tell me what she expected as compensation. Mrs. Gravel quipped, “the bill was three hundred, I’ll give you two.” Even with this statement, it was apparent that no amount of compensation would make Mrs. Gravel happy.

I did not see the situation to be as grave as Mrs. Gravel had. I had previously conferred with Mr. Kuc and the hostess who both indicated the same. My reply to Mrs. Gravel was deliberate and polite, “with all due respect, all things considered, I think your request is a bit unreasonable.” Unfortunately, I then allowed Mrs. Gravel to draw me into her heated debate. After a moment, I simply stated what I was willing to do. With some calculations made out loud, I would deduct the full retail value of the entire food portion of her bill. There was no question about the rest of the services provided and the children had a great time. Therefore, I did not consider them in the calculation process. The intention was to deduct $50.00 from the bill, but in actuality, Mr. Kuc deducted $64.00. The offer to give the children free passes was reiterated, but Mrs. Gravel, with expletives, again refused, making disparaging remarks about the facility she had so graciously praised earlier.

Our commitment to quality experiences and exemplary customer service is well known. If we fall short of expectations, our management and staff, with my guidance and support, are willing and able to make amends. We work hard and our public appreciates what we do. Our customers reward us with their repeated patronage. However, on rare occasion, one encounters an unsalvageable situation. Unfortunately, I believe this is the case with Mrs. Gravel. Regardless of what efforts could have been made, she would still be unhappy. Her perception of the situation and its handling are her own and she will no doubt speak long and loud about it. Her use of course language, expletives, and her high handed manner will not be pacified.

I hope this information is helpful in your process. If I may be of any further service, please feel free to call me at the number below. I welcome any questions or comments from your office or the people we serve. Enclosed are a couple of items for your reference and review.

Kind Regards,

INTERSKATE 91 NORTH

367 Russell Street

Hadley, MA 01035

Dear Mr. Hoefler:

Thank you for your response to our communication regarding the complaints filed by Georgi Gravel. We believe that you have provided an adequate response to the issues presented, and are considering the matter closed. Your cooperation has been much appreciated.

Should you have any feedback you would like to share with us regarding our complaint handling process, please email me directly.

Sincerely,

Aimee Racicot

Dispute Resolution Coordinator

End BBB Reply

Thank you again for allowing for a business reply. If I may be of any assistance in this matter, please feel free to contact me.

Kind Regards,

413-586-8344 (phone)

413-586-5471 (fax)

http://www.interskate91.com/ (web)

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66199# (email)

INTERSKATE 91 NORTH (MICE ON SKATES!)

INTERSKATE 91 NORTH

367 RUSSELL ST

HADLEY, MA. 01035-9456

413-586-8344

I BOOKED A BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR 03/14/04 FOR MY DAUGHTER. THE PARTY WAS BOOKED FOR 16 CHILDREN AND SIX ADULTS.

I'LL LEAVE THE GOOD FEEDBACK BEFORE THE UNSPEAKABLE........... THE PARTY PLANNER WAS A SWEETHEART, THE MANAGER WAS A TRUE GENTLEMAN. THE OWNER OF THIS ESTABLISHMENT IS A DISGRACE TO THE BUSINESS WORLD!

OUR PARTY WAS HELD IN THEIR "LAND OF OZ" ROOM. AFTER EATING PIZZA AND THE BIRTHDAY CAKE, A GUEST DISCOVERED A DEAD MOUSE IN THE PARTY ROOM. THE DEAD MOUSE WAS BEHIND A CHEST HIGH MURAL PAINTED PETITION . THIS PETITION CLOSED OFF A TWO FOOT SPACE TO THE WINDOWED WALL.

IT ALSO HAD EATING BOOTHS UP AGAINST IT. WHEN THIS WAS BROUGHT TO MY ATTENTION, A FEW OTHER GUESTS AND I LOOKED OVER THE PETITION. WE NOT ONLY SAW THE DEAD MOUSE, WE SAW A LIVE MOUSE THAT SCURRIED ACROSS THE LARGE METAL SILL. THIS AREA BEHIND THE PETITION WAS ABSOLUTELY FILTHY! THERE WAS DIRT, OLD WRAPPERS , FOOD ECT.

MY PARTY PLANNER RETRIEVED THE MANAGER. THE MANAGER TRIED TO CONSOLE ME TO THE BEST OF HIS ABILITY. I HAD HIM CALL THE OWNER, WHO TRIED TO GET ME TO CALL HIM AND RESOLVE MY PROBLEM ON THE FOLLOWING DAY.

I'D FELT I'D BEEN INCONVENIENCED ENOUGH. I TOLD THE MANAGER TO HAVE THE OWNER SPEAK TO ME DIRECTLY OR TO COME TO HIS BUSINESS IN PERSON. THE OWNER BILL HOEFLER RELUCTANTLY AGREED TO COME IN PERSON. HE SHOWED UP AN HOUR LATER (THOUGH HE LIVES IN THE SAME TOWN) HOW CONVENIENT FOR HIM! HE THEN TRIED TO BLAME THE ISSUE ON THE MALL WHERE HE LEASES HIS SPACE FROM ( THE INTERIOR OF A PROPERTY IS THE LEASERS RESPONSIBILITY IN MOST LEASES).

ANGRILY I STATED THAT IT WASN'T MY PROBLEM, IT'S HIS! HE THEN ASKED FOR WHAT WOULD MAKE ME HAPPY? I TOLD HIM THAT IN ALL HONESTY NOTHING, SEEING HOW I NOW HAD TO EXPLAIN TO PARENTS WHAT HAD HAPPENED ( SOME WITNESSED IT ), I HAD TO SPEND MORE TIME DEALING WITH THE ISSUE THAN BEING WITH THE KIDS.

THE END RESULT WAS DISAPPOINTING! THE FINAL BILL FOR THIS PARTY WAS $290.00. THE OWNER ASKED ME "WHAT DOLLAR AMOUNT WOULD BE A SUITABLE COMPENSATION?" I REALLY FELT THE WHOLE DAMN THING SHOULD'VE BECOME A WRIGHT OFF FOR HIM, I THEN STATED $90.00. HE FELT THAT WAS UNREASONABLE, AND THAT "IT WAS ONLY A MOUSE, AND A MOUSE IS NOT WORTH $90.00!" I BECAME LIVID WITH HIM.

HE ALSO STATED THAT HE WAS TAKING TIME FROM HIS DAY TO COME THERE. WOW! IT'S HIS BUSINESS, HE SHOULD BE THERE TO SERVE HIS CUSTOMER! HE THEN TOLD THE MANAGER TO DEDUCT $50.00 FROM THE BILL AND TO GIVE FREE SKATING PASSES TO THE KIDS. I TOLD HIM HIS ARROGANCE WAS DISGUSTING, JUST LIKE HIS FACILITY, AND THAT HE COULD KEEP HIS PASSES.

FORTUNATELY THE STAFF IS WONDERFUL, TOO BAD THEY'RE MADE TO BE PROFESSIONAL CRAP TAKERS BY THEIR BOSS!

GEORGI G

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //