1999 Dodge Dakota - 87,000 miles required a complete transmission replacement

Posted on Tuesday, June 29th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 19a8679d

Company: 1999 Dodge Dakota - 87,000 miles required a complete transmission replacement

1999 Dodge Dakota - 87,000 miles required a complete transmission replacement &#160 My 99 Dodge Dakota at 87,000 miles required a complete transmission replacement. The dealership told me that there was nothing they could do about it. "It's just one of those things." When I told them that I'd done my homework and discovered that this is not an unusual occurance for Dakota's, the service manager proceded to inform me that he used to run a transmission shop and that this is not the case.

I asked who I could appeal to and he suggested that I call the customer service complaint service. I asked him to do the same for me. He indicated that he would. When I called the customer service line for Dodge, the rep named Debbie gave me a huge runaround. First she, told me she couldn't do anything unless I had the VIN number.

This was after waiting through their 30 minute delay to get to a rep. And no she couldn't give me any shortcut to bypass this system once I called back with the VIN. I called the dealer (who had my truck in the shop) and got my VIN and called back. And lucky me, after another 30 minute wait, I got "Debbie" again. She listened and quoted the policy out of the book and told me that this is Dodge's position (not under warranty, not their problem) and she can't do anything about it. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

She told me that there is no one higher than her that I could talk to. The whole tone of the conversation was unhelpful and snotty. I'm of the opinion that a transmission should not fail after 80,000 miles, period. There is something wrong with the design of the Dakota's transmission system and Dodge ought to meet customers half way at least in correcting the problem.

I'm out $3000 for a rebuilt transmission with a 36,000 mile guarantee. Plus an hour of my precious time waiting on the telephone.

Rose W Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: //

7cc912e1, 2008-04-02, 05:18PM CDT

I just took my 1999 dakota into the transmission shop because it wouldn't shift, stayed in 3rd. Tech told me that it's caused by a internal valve that regulates the pressure. This valve was made to small, the dodge replacement part is made larger. It's costing me $1800 to repair. I only have 81000 miles on it. I don't think you need a replacement tranny, just a valve change. I think this should be a recall item since it's caused by bad design in the first part.

8f6d32df, 2008-09-23, 02:00PM CDT

I have a 98 Dakota with 92k miles. The transmission started slipping after 20k. After numerous trips to the dealer i gave up. For the past 70k miles I have been driving it with the trans slipping. I still have the truck and drive it acouple time a week, but i went out and bought a Honda Ridgeline. As expected, it runs perfect.

e29bbc03, 2008-09-29, 12:15PM CDT

I had to replace the valves also, at 110,000 miles. I also believe they should stand behind their product. No more dodges for me.

9f2d51ac, 2008-12-20, 03:22PM CST

My 1995 transmission in my dakota lasted 107,000 mi not bad i guess , but then i had it replaced with a new dodge factory transmission not rebuilt,, tried to drive it home and it was worse then the old tranny. They said theyll rebuild it,, i said no thats why i spent the extra money to buy new not rebuilt. Dodge refused to give me another tranny so they rebuilt it and it lasted 47,000 mi. I wont be buying a dakota again

2edd06d4, 2009-10-13, 12:31PM CDT

I have a 1995 dakota with 235000 transmission has never given me trouble i service it once a year