Posted on Monday, June 28th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by a862e07c

Company: 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab - rust on door bottoms, tail gate

&#160

2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab - rust on door bottoms, tail gate

In February 2003 I purchased a 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab used from a dealer. The truck was in excellent shape with low miles. My intent was to keep the truck for several years. However, I just discovered a latent problem. The undersides of all four doors, where the outer skin folds over the inner and is spot-welded, are rusting badly. The same is happening to the right-rear sill plate (under the door) and the bottom of the tail gate. The paint is bubbling and rust is beginning to show. Note that this vehicle is well-maintained, never driven off-road, used under 13,000 miles per year, and washed weekly/waxed monthly. I always look for corrosion in the wheel wells and underbody, where debris can strike and cause a chip. This corrosion on the doors has only become visible recently, but obviously these things take time and the problem has been there for some months. The day after noticing the problem I took the truck to a local dealer where I’ve done business before. The body shop manager informed me that the Corrosion Warranty was not applicable, because the panels are not perforated. Meaning, Ford will only cover corrosion if there’s a big hole in the vehicle.

The manager at least quoted me a reasonable price to fix the problem, but the issue here is this: the truck is less than five years old, has never been abused, and it’s already starting to rust. I can’t imagine what condition it will be in in five more years if I don’t take heroic measures to protect it. Ford doesn’t seem to care; no response has been received from their customer service department in Dearborn. I can predict what will happen if I phone them – they’ll read me the warranty text and close the case. I suppose I could live with this, except I know many people who own other manufacturer’s pickups who don’t have this problem. I myself had a ’95 Dodge Dakota (which I sold to buy the Ranger) and it didn’t have a discernible spot of corrosion anywhere except on the frame. Since Ford can’t seem to make a product with the simple capability of not rusting, I think my next truck will be from another manufacturer. Come on, Dearborn – it’s the 21st Century. Sherwin-Williams makes paint to put on my house that will last 30 years - maybe Ford should give them a call… Jason D Ohio

Jason D Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: //

3396ce81, 2009-08-27, 03:44PM CDT

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger also less than 5 years old and the bottom of the front door panel is rusting exactly as you describe. I have also noticed other years with rust in exactly the same spot.

I have contacted Ford about the problem and indeed they quoted the vehicle warranty as you expected. This is clearly a manufacturing problem and Ford is willing to have me bear the cost of repair. Oh, and I did need to beg them to even respond.

After the company response it will be the last Ford product I will purchase.