AOL - AOL - I spoke to your tech support department for about 4.5 hours straight, being transferred back and forth, pushing this key and that key, but was still unable to get online using AOL

Posted on Sunday, June 27th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 49ee6b77

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Last September, I received an AOL disk in the mail for a free trial period. Because I'd used AOL in college, I thought I'd try it out again.

I attempted to install the program into my computer, but it never worked. I was unable to get online using AOL.

I spoke to your tech support department for about 4.5 hours straight, being transferred back and forth, pushing this key and that key, but was still unable to get online using AOL. In fact, by the end of the conversations, I wasn't able to get online at all. My computer's connection to the server was disabled.

Please note that to even speak to customer service when I initially called, I had to give my financial account information. Let me make this clear: to have someone help me with this defunct service, I was told that I had to give out my checking account number.

When I got off of the phone for the last time with your technical support, both of us were under the agreement that AOL would not work for my computer. We agreed that AOL was not working. The fact that it was not working, would not work, and could not work, led me to believe that I would not be charged for this disservice.

I was wrong.

I was charged for about 7 months of service, and I want it back. I've never used the AOL account, I don't even know my 'screen name' or password, but AOL's memory serves them well. AOL remembers my checking account information.

I only recently noticed this little charge on my bank statement, and for that I will take responsibility. I should have noticed earlier that I was being charged for a service that I'd never used and in fact had never even been able to 'set up', by definition.

I contacted AOL's customer service. I was told I would be reimbursed. When I was transferred to the cancellation service, AOL continued to try to keep me on as a customer.

Again, by definition, I am not a customer. I never used the service.

Finally, my account was cancelled. I was credited for one month of service and before I could adequately protest, I was transferred to a cancellation agreement recording.

That's it.

I want the rest of my money back.

The customer service representatives at AOL are so full of pro-sales jargon and cheap tricks to keep customers with the service - are they trained this way? Close the sale no matter what? Close the sale before they understand what's happening?

Close the sale even before finding out if the service even works?

I want my money back immediately.

I will investigate further, use all avenues of complaining, filing and protesting until I get my money back.

Crystal R. R

24d8c6fb, 2008-06-05, 07:36AM CDT

I think the internet falls under the Consumer Affairs Division of (believe it or not) the Agriculture Dept. They take complaints, pass them on to the company and give them an opportunity to resolve it, if it's not resolved, then they might get involved.

Call the office closest to you and ask them how to file.

Hope this helps,