Posted on Friday, January 9th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 11b58618

Company: Stoltzfus RV dealer, West Chester, NY - sold trailer that exceeded the maximum tounge weight of 2001 Ford Explorer

From: Randall W Tyson [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_20608#]

RV dealer error--Value: $20,000.00-$50,000.00

OOPS, forgot to name the dealership. RV dealer is Stoltzfus on 202 in West Chester.

---------------------- Forwarded by Randall W Tyson/AE/DuPont on 01/07/2004 01:22 PM--------

Randall W Tyson

01/07/2004 10:50 AM To: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_61537#

cc:

Subject: RV dealer error--Value: $20,000.00-$50,000.00 For the past two years we have been visiting and talking with a local PA. RV dealer about purchasing a trailer to pull with our 2001 Ford Explorer. The RV dealer assured us that they were the experts and that they would match the right trailer to our vehicle. We, after much shopping chose and purchased a trailer from the dealer.

We were assured that our 2001 Ford Explorer would handle the trailer weight and hitch weight of the trailer we were going to purchase prior to purchase. We would not have purchased a trailer our current vehicle could not pull. We were assured all was checked and the purchase was one that could be pulled with the law and safety considerations satisfied. Because of our trust in them to be the experts, we along with the salesman went to parts and ordered what we were told was the appropriate hitch for our vehicle, again identifying the trailer we had purchased from them and the vehicle we were using to pull the trailer. The hitch came in and on December 29th the RV dealer installed the hitch.

I paid for the parts and service and drove home. The next day I looked at the spec label on the hitch they installed and realised although the hitch would handle the gross weight of the trailer it would not handle the trailer tongue weight. Installed hitch maximum allowable tongue weight is 750 lbs while the trailer tongue weight is stated at 755 lbs. Actually with options I have on the trailer I can calculate the trailer tongue weight at around 798 lbs. Friday, 1/02/2004 at 9 A.M. I contacted the salesman and said I could not pick the trailer up on Saturday because of this tongue weight issue.

I said, I think a mistake had been made. The salesman assured me he would look into it and get back to me. I heard nothing on Friday so Saturday my wife and I went to the dealership to find out what was going on and asked what options they had for us. The salesman said he had not heard back from parts yet so we walked the 20 yards (approx. to the parts department and talked with the parts manager about the problem. He said it was not his fault and that I needed to go back to sales. The salesman was on a unit test check so we waited to speak to the dealership owner. He assured me the fix was easy.

The owner leaves and the salesman comes back in and informs us that the hitch rate on the trailer was not correct and he would go to the factory to check and get back to us. Monday night he calls us and says they are still checking it out. Tuesday afternoon after not hearing from the salesman we contact the trailer factory directly and find that those hitch weights are correct as stated in the brochures and that the salesman has not contacted them concerning the issue. The dealership has made a mistake they will not admit to and best I can tell continue to make up little stories, when tested are found not to be true, to delay telling us what are our options. I am feeling like they have made a mistake they don't want to admit to and are doing everything they can to stall, tell stories etc. The bottom line is that we have a $20,000.00 trailer that we cannot safely pull without investing another $30,000.00 in a vehicle. I DON'T HAVE $30,000.00 to invest in another vehicle after financing the $20,000.00 for the trailer. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The above message is Complaints.com Consumer Message # 30 January 8, 2004

7b55b5fb, 2007-11-23, 10:33AM CST

Please note that this RV dealer is in West Chester, PA (not NY) on Route 202. I purchased a used RV from them a number of years ago and did not feel that they looked out for our best interest. It was our first time buy of a RV.

Let the buyer beware!

7750bfd8, 2011-01-10, 12:17PM CST

anyone could just upgrade the hitch with

extra support from above or change hitch.

As for the veh. simple fix would be to upgrade the tires and the brake pads and put in a extra leaf in the springs.

I would do it for the security an ability

added to keep me out of a wreck(&moreFun!)