1997 Pontiac Sunfire - engine seized at 47,000 miles - engine must be replaced

Posted on Wednesday, January 14th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by a66de67a

Company: 1997 Pontiac Sunfire - engine seized at 47,000 miles - engine must be replaced

1997 Pontiac Sunfire - engine seized at 47,000 miles - engine must be replaced

From: Juchno, Stacy [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_65375#]

1997 Pontiac Sunfire

Compliant Leveraging, My brother owns a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire with only 47,000 miles on it and the engine seized (needing engine replaced estimated cost $3,500). I understand the car is about 6 years old but the vehicle is driven minimal miles. “Sustainability Is Key, GM's Cullum Tells Harvard Students” (source GM website) - Is this sustainability that GM markets at 47,000 miles? Is this the kind of performance, quality, and reliability you want to buy? With today's standards and product image this is unacceptable. GM has defined six core values for the conduct of its business: 1. Continuous Improvement, 2. Customer Enthusiasm, 3. Innovation, 4. Integrity, 5. Teamwork, and 6. Individual Respect and Responsibility. Will GM do the right thing by following GM’s own defined six core values? If this vehicle had 70,000, 80,000 or 100,000 miles my expectations would be the engine might go but not at 47,000 miles. My challenge to GM is to meet your consumer’s expectations. What will GM do? My sister (week of 12/8/03) bought a new 2003 Pontiac Grand AM GT with less than 1,000 miles - what do we tell her to expect? She was the previous owner of a 2001 Pontiac Grand AM SE. I, myself, was the owner of a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GM SE for two years and my father was the owner of a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix for 3 years. Can you see a vehicle loyalty trend? After three weeks of countless e-mails with GM customer service we were quoted policy and offered no financial assistance for the repair. Why, well here is what we were told, because the GM dealership offered us a used engine at a lower cost than a new engine. We took the vehicle to a GM dealership and paid $189 for a vehicle diagnosis. The dealership quoted us cost of the following: $3,250 for a brand new one with a 3 year/75,000 mile warranty or $1,400 for a used engine with 88,000 miles on it (no warranty) or $1,600 for a used engine with 62,000 miles on it (no warranty). Now, I scratch my head and wonder how GM justifies us paying almost $1,500 of a used engine with more miles on engine than the engine we already have at 47,000 miles that does not work. After three weeks we had the vehicle repaired a reputable auto service for $1,089. The auto service suggested taking photos of a part in the engine noted to be defective. The auto service said this part should never have broken on a vehicle with only 47,000 miles. We informed GM customer service of this defective part and told them about the pictures but GM has done nothing to address this issue. I thought GM might look further into investigation of the defective part but no. This probably has happen to others but I will make every attempt to ensure it does not happen to someone else. Especially my sister who recently purchased a 2004 GM vehicle, what do I tell her? They say when you have a good experience you tell 2-3 people, but when you have a bad experience you tell everyone. Well I have done just that and I will continue to do so. I understand life is not fair and not everything last forever but I will not let GM get away with quality issues that effect their consumers for have loyalty and the notion that a GM product represents reliability (especially when something like this happens). The engine ceasing up at 47,000 miles is not a consumer expectation when they buy the car brand new. I doubt anyone purchasing a vehicle has that expectation and I also doubt that a number of consumers can or want to replace a vehicle after only 47,000 miles. Most consumers keep their vehicles long-term. I owned a 1992 Saturn for 6 years with 110,000 miles on it before the engine ceased up – now that I expected. I will finish by quoting the New York Times article published on January 5, 2004 titled G.M. Executive Preaches: Sweat the Smallest Details by Danny Hakim. Article reads, “WARREN, Mich. - Robert A. Lutz is trying to persuade the world's largest automaker, General Motors, to obsess about the smallest details, from the way a stereo knob feels when you turn it to eliminating the cheap-looking shine from plastics used in interiors.

People say, 'I don't know what it is, but when I rent an American car at the airport and look at all these minor imperfections, the message it sends is that you guys don't care,' and that message is very powerful," said Mr. Lutz, General Motors' vice chairman for product development. "It's a turnoff."” Well Mr. Lutz, GM Vice Chairman of product development you send a powerful message and I agree it is a turnoff then your cars stop working too at only 47,000 miles and you cost the consumer expensive repairs.

Disappointed on GM response and persistent to make matters correct, Stacy Juchno

The above message is Complaints.com Consumer Message # 5 January 13, 2004