Posted on Wednesday, January 14th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 469c9dd6

Company: 1997 Audi A8 - 70,000 miles - told by dealer that transmission is fried - warranty only pays $ 2,500 of $ 9,000 transmission re-built replacement cost

From: Jim Swindel [COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_20515#]

Audi Club North America

BMW Car Club of America

Mercedes-Benz Club of America

Jaguar Clubs of North America

JD Power and Associates

Consumers Union Members and car enthusiasts,

I was one of those who took a look at the A8 and said great looking car, but what about all of Audi's press. I looked harder into it and liked the experimental nature of an "all aluminum car", features like full time 4WD, good power and sleek design. So I picked up a new on the block 1997 A8. I have driven it gingerly and not a great deal (averaging 10K per year).

The car has never ever been serviced by anyone other than Audi. So at just a couple miles over 70,000 imagine my surprise when my service rep at Beverly Hills Porsche Audi tells me my transmission is "fried".

Now this is the best service rep I've ever had (BMW & Mercedes included) and he too is shocked. Checking my non-Audi extended warrantee he tells me they will only cover $2,500. Perhaps not bad in some circumstances but here we have a $9,000 "re-built" transmission needed after only 70K miles?? As I intimated, I've had several Mercedes', 2 BMWs and a couple Jaguars (still own a 1957 XK140)...

some, like my BMW 750, I drove well into 100K miles never needing anything as major as a transmission. Anyhow being the good guy he is, my service manager suggested I call Audi Customer Support. Not a bad idea I think, here is a car company obviously concerned about re-building their press and image after the smears of the late 80s. They will want to keep a loyal customer (especially one nearing new car mode and with a body change on the A8). Here it gets fun, I spoke with a very sweet and concerned rep that told me they would look into it and get back to me. Today I get a call that they have looked at my case and cannot help because I have a piddly little bit of help from an outside extended warrantee company. I asked again, why because of that wouldn't they want to help cover at least a portion of something like this? The reply was priceless "we don't like to get involved".. some great customer care don't you think? I did tell her I was going to post and email this kind of letter, she said she would "make note of that". Anyhow, re-think before you head their direction, I know I have.

Jim Swindel