2001 Ford Windstar - 54,000 miles - requires a new transmission

Posted on Wednesday, February 4th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by bf2f2c8f

Company: 2001 Ford Windstar - 54,000 miles - requires a new transmission

2001 Ford Windstar - 54,000 miles - requires a new transmission

2001 Ford Windstar transmission

I have a 2001 Windstar with 54,000 miles on it that requires a new transmission already. I should have listened to my father, who has told me for the past thirty years that he would cut off his right arm before he would buy a Ford. The lovely folks at my neighborhood Ford dealership have informed me that the repair will cost about $3500.

Needless to say, my wife and I are furious that Ford would put out a product that would fail with such low mileage, especially for a mini-van that was used primarily for highway use only, and one that was meticulously taken care of in terms of oil changes and routine maintenance.

We have approached Ford's customer service and asked them to look at our situation to see if there was anything they could do to rectify the situation for us, only to run into a brick wall.

Is there anyone out there who you recommend that we contact?? It is our solemn vow that if Ford slams the door in our face on this one, we will spend the next 10 or 20 years doing all that we can to educate everyone within earshot what has happened to us.

This may cost us three thousand dollars, but we will in turn cost Ford the loss of many, many sales. We have friends that had the same thing happen to them with a Toyota Sienna, and Toyota footed the bill for the repair. I wonder if there is any way that Ford would do the same for any of its customers??

Tom R

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //

c0cbe795, 2008-01-08, 09:02PM CST

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar that has 51,000 miles on it and the transmission has completely failed. It is costing 2800.00 to replace it. I have been religious with the maintenance. There is no excuse for this failure except Ford is selling a defective product.

8e754244, 2008-07-12, 11:02PM CDT

i have a 2001 ford windstar and i have 78,000 miles and my transmission completely failed and it's going to cost me 2to 3 thousand dollars for repairs and i'm pretty pissed about it i'm still paying on my van!!!

c9399667, 2008-10-19, 08:45AM CDT

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar with 43,000 miles and my transmission just went out.

Has Ford helped you in any way.

a2738c17, 2009-08-09, 09:44AM CDT

i also have a 2001 ford windstar and 3 years ago i needed a new transmission. i feel soooo upset because now i have so many more problems. i need $3,400 of repairs in order to operate the car safely. the darn car is not even worth that much! i will never buy a ford again. i wonder if i qualify for the "cash for clunkers". i am not in the position to buy a new car, but it is definitely not worth fixing it for that much money.

942317c2, 2009-08-10, 10:22AM CDT

The same thing has occurred to me. Driving on the Highway in Virginia, mind you I live in NJ. We are moving about 55mph and I go to step on the gas and the engine just revs. The transmission went while driving on the with no warning signs. Needsless to say, it ruined my vacation, thousands of dollars, had to pay to get the car back to NJ, few hundred dollars, and now I will have to pay a few thousand dollars for repairs.... that is going to be hard to do. I may have to look at Honda.

Ford, you should have an explanation for this as it has occurred with cars with less that 70,000 miles. Mine only has 67,000 and just had the engine tuned in June. Incredible!!!

Tyrone M