Posted on Monday, February 2nd, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 2b02eb31

Company: The Mattress Firm , 11035 Phillips Hwy.,#4, Jacksonville, FL - Searns and Foster mattress set - didn't realize how tall mattress was

The Mattress Firm , 11035 Phillips Hwy.,#4, Jacksonville, FL 32256

My husband and I purchased a $1250.00 Stears and Foster mattress set from the Matrress Firm on Thursday, Jan. 22, 2004. Joseph, our salesman, said that they could deliver the set on Saturday, Jan. 24, 2004. The mattress was delivered, and we had no idea how tall the mattress was. We have a large Queen Anne bedset, and the mattress was so tall that we had trouble climbing up onto our bed.

Also, the box spring was too low for our bed. I went to the store on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. before we had even slept on it, and told Joseph that this was not going to work. He was nice, and said that we could exchange the set without any problem. He said to go ahead and pick out another set. We slept on the mattress that night, and my husband was up half the night because he could not even sleep. The mattress sagged in the middle, and we were rolling into each other in the center.

The next day on Sunday, my husband and I both went to the store to pick out another set. Joseph said that we could probably have it within a few days.

On Monday, we called the store and Joseph was not there. Chris, the store manager, answered the phone and said that Joseph had taken off for a few days. My husband told him that we needed to change the set, and he said that he had to contact the district manager, who was out of town, to get the okay. My husband told him that he could not sleep another night on this mattress.

The manager agreed to come over and at least remove the set, and put our old set back on the bed. When we came to our house that evening and looked at our bed, he said that the height of the set was ridiculous, and also said that he had never seen a Stearns and Foster mattress set sag like that. He stated that it definitely needed to be changed. He said that he would send an email to the district manager to obtain the approval.

We didn't hear from Chris on Tuesday, but on Wednesday I called the store and Joseph was there. I told him what the manager said when he came out to look at the set. Joseph said that we could only exchange the mattress but not the box springs, because they don't take that back.

Also, there would be a 10% restocking fee. That's when things started to really turn sour. He said that their agreement stated that the box springs are not returnable. I do not see anything that states such a thing in their warranty agreement. I told him that I can not use the box springs, because they are too low for my bed.

He said that we ordered a low profile box spring to be delivered. There was no such conversation whatsoever. Then I told him to just pick up the whole set. He said that they couln't pick it up until Feb. 9th. I told him that if I came in today to buy a new set, I am sure that I would have it tomorrow. He said yes, but we don't have a truck to pick sets up.

Judy B

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //