2001 Silverado ABS problem with brakes

Posted on Friday, December 24th, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 7d2eeee5

Company: 2001 Silverado ABS problem with brakes

2001 Silverado ABS problem with brakes

ABS problem with brakes on 2001 Silverado. Truck had front rotors and pads replaced under warranty at 33,000 miles. At 55,000 miles the ABS started to activate at slow speed. Brakes became totally inoperative when this happened. I took truck to local GM dealer and was told that left front wheel bearing sensor was defective and that the wheel bearing would have to be replaced at a cost of about $350.00.

It seems stupid for a company to make a vehicle that brakes fail and requires replacement of a perfectly good wheel bearing to hopefully correct the problem. I have spoken to several other Silverado owners who are having the same problem. I contacted Chevrolet Customer Assistance Service and after several e-mails and phone calls was told that Chevrolet would pay for repair to the wheel bearing. At present the local dealer has replaced the bearing and the brakes operate properly for now. Chevrolet Customer Service and the local chevrolet dealer have been very helpful.

Could this be because they know there is a problem? I wonder how soon the other bearing sensor will become defective? While working on the brake problem I discovered that both rear rotors were totally rusted beyond repair and had destroyed the brake pads. Another costly mistake from GM that we customers must pay for. I think GM should issue a recall on these trucks and replace all defective units. Paul F. G

Click this link to e-mail the above consumer: COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_41382# Consumer

7b304e36, 2009-02-04, 08:30AM CST

This is my second Silverado with the ABS sensor problem. I still own both. This ongoing Brake issue which sensors is only part of CHEVY's refusal to fix these problems before another Silverado is shipped from the factory. Ofcource after all this time they wont. My New Silverado would not pass inspection with only 32,000 miles because of BRAKE ISSUES. Repaires were made traveled to Colorado on summer Vacation only to experience ABS failure at 11,600 elevation. You better have deep pockets with no care of financial concideration in choosing your next truck.

8c1b43dc, 2009-12-13, 08:45PM CST

My son just had a similar incident when he was trying to stop on a drive way he felt pulsing in the foot of the brake as it went to the floor Thank you for sharing your story because GM denied there was any problem but after research its obvious this is a reoccurring problem unrelated to weather

ab18e731, 2011-05-18, 07:20AM CDT

The rear rotors and pads totally rusted apart at 26,000 miles on my 2001 1500C Silverado 4x4 while my front brakes looked like they were never used. GM told me that they had a problem with the rear discs, but they weren't doing anything about it. I had to pay for repairs. I was told GM was going back to drums in the rear because they don't know how to fix the problem. I now have a 2008 GMC 1500 4x4. It has rear drums. GM doesn't consider "no brakes" a safety issue.