Posted on Friday, April 30th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by b56f7471

Company: Ancestry.com -- cancel free trial deception

Ancestry.com -- cancel free trial deception

I had a 14 day free trial of Ancestry.com The policy listed on the web page for free trials (currently for 7 day free trials) is

~~~

You may cancel your reserved subscription at any time during the trial period by calling 1-(800) 262-3787 (press prompt #4) between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM, Monday-Friday, Mountain Time. More Details For our customers outside of the United States, you may cancel your reserved subscription at any time during the free trial period by calling +1 (801) 705-7620, between 02:00 and 13:00 GMT, Monday - Friday. If you prefer to send an e-mail, contact us at

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66384# and provide the following

information:

• Given name and surname

• Username

• Subscription type (e.g. free trial)

• E-mail address used when subscribing

• Telephone number including country code

• Country

After processing your request, we will send a confirmation. ~~~~

My interpretation of this was -- I could send an email to

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66384# , which I did April 27, the

end of the 14 day free trial

I got a message Wednesday morning that U.S. customers could not cancel

using the email

and could not call until 8 AM

they charged my credit card for one month's service Wednesday

I called April 29, and said there would be a $50 cancellation fee, plus

$29.95 monthly fee

After much argument, got them to waive the $50, but they would not budge on

the $29.95 -- because they claimed the agreement (fine print...) stipulated

their policy

~~~~

(this is what I found today, though my trial period was 14 days) fine print.... at the end of about 3 screens worth of details note that there is a "must" in the first sentence for the call, but also a

"must" in the second sentence for international customers

~~~

Cancellations during the 7 days must be made by calling us at

1-800-262-3787 and providing the same information that you provided when

you subscribed. International customers must call 1-801-705-7620 during

business hours or send an e-mail to

COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66384# and provide the following

information: Given name and surname

Username

Subscription type (UK/Ireland collection, etc.)

E-mail address used when subscribing

Phone number including country code

Country ~~~~ My contention is that the very existence of an email address of COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_66384#

implies that it can be used by anybody -- if they wanted to be perfectly clear that (against common sense today by Internet consumers!) that U.S. customers could NOT cancel by using that email, they should have had a separate sentence to that effect. Sherman H

Columbus, Ohio

Sherman D. H

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //

0a1620f8, 2008-06-24, 06:19PM CDT

HIDDEN BUTTON! To unsubscribe online from the 14-day trial, log in, go to My Account, under Subscription Options clicked Cancel Subscription, confirm your password and get to the Are you sure you want to cancel? page. After giving a reason you're leaving, there is a HIDDEN BUTTON below the comment box to the left of "or go back to Home Page". If you print this as a PDF, you'll see the word Continue in that location but on screen it was blank in PC Internet Explorer 6, PC Firefox 3.0 and Mac Firefox 2.0. In PC Firefox 3 when I clicked on that blank space a rectangle highlighted and it took me to a confirmation page. I did get a confirmation number (which I printed!) and then I got a cancellation email stating I would not be charged.

0a1620f8, 2008-06-24, 06:22PM CDT

6c7b1626, 2008-06-25, 10:36PM CDT

I, too had trouble canceling my subscription, only to find the invisible button with an accidental mouse-over. What a coincidence - everything on the site works just fine except for this one, invisible button. I'll never use them again.

22f0e547, 2008-08-23, 06:11PM CDT

I thought I was signing up for a 29.95 a month world account with ancestry.com. Come to find out I was being billed for 299.95 for an annual membership instead of a monthly one. I went to the website to cancel the account. After filling out the reason why I was canceling I couldn't find a button to push to send the cancellation through. Out of frustration I started clicking randomly and found the INVISIBLE cancel button. What a shady way to prevent people from canceling! Completely turned off from this site now. Never using again.

22f0e547, 2008-08-23, 06:16PM CDT

Ancestry.com: Hidden account cancellation button! In both firefox and Internet Explorer the button to cancel your account is INVISIBLE! I had to highlight the web page and you could then see the white text on a white background that says "cancel". What a shady practice! I bet if you called to complain they would say its a bug in the browser.

d78ecf16, 2008-08-30, 10:16PM CDT

A big THANK YOU to complaints.com.

You've just saved us $299 on the Ancestry "deal"!

aaeefc06, 2008-11-13, 02:33PM CST

I just got my credit card statement and noticed that Ancestry.com charged me $155.40 the day AFTER I cancelled my trial subscription, which was done within the 14-day grace period. I called their customer service number and got nowhere. I have placed the charge in dispute with American Express -- hopefully they will handle it for me.

Chad R.

North Carolina

f892a58f, 2009-02-10, 06:55PM CST

I purchased the original Family Tree years ago, and have been researching my family tree for about 5 years.

After reading all of the complaints listed on this website I have changed my mind.

Thanks, Complaints company, you provide a real valuable service to consumers.

S.Scott

411f1bce, 2009-02-23, 06:12PM CST

i got ancestry.com and have;nt even used it but as far as getting it cut off it;s real hard to do i want my diconnected and my money put back in my account.i try to get on line with it and a bunch of bull come;s up i;ll make sure i tell everyone about this. they will not get no more money out of this fool.could.nt find nothing i wanted.

1f421156, 2010-01-02, 12:36PM CST

there is no button ive searched for it for days i need help and i cant afford the payment!!

83f94aa7, 2010-01-03, 10:37PM CST

I was signing up for a free trial and changed my mind, so I left the page when it asked for my credit card info, when I went back, I had an account! How does that make sense! And now there is no cancel subscription section, so I guess I need to call them.

59e60ef2, 2010-01-06, 08:49AM CST

Everyone should also know that I bought one of their cd packages that offers a free 30 day subscription ,they would not honor it without me giving them my credit card number. This I feel would hook

me into the the problem described above. I will not deal with them under any circumstances.

c5f30572, 2010-02-21, 10:54AM CST

I cancelled my FREE trial within 7 days told them I got more info from library then from them. Imagine my surprise when going through the credit card statements and finding that they charged me. When I called and asked why, they said that I had not cancelled, only had not renewed for the next year. Could not get them to reimburse me and it was past the 60 day period that the credit card company goes by to let you dispute the claim. My advice is to NEVER try them not even for 1 day. They seem to not care about the consumer.

6f7fc424, 2010-06-09, 12:41AM CDT

I had the same experience. You can also post your complaint on fraudbug.com

9844ea16, 2010-07-13, 08:09AM CDT

i was on a free 14 day trial but ancestry.co still took 240 out of my account.i tried phoning their help line, but it does not exist.

Anonymous, 2010-10-13, 04:45PM CDT

I have been a Ancestry .com custormer for a couple of years . Do to finincial reason I called the 800 number and requested my account be canceled this was the first of September . And as told it would be cancel the close September it is now October and they have again charged my accoung Gracie Senter . ggsenter.

1490fb5d, 2010-11-14, 01:38PM CST

thaks complaints: I was considering Ancestry .com but changed my mind. I will not use their services....

M Hildebrand

554bf11f, 2011-02-05, 04:22PM CST

Thank for the info. I was thinking about subscribing to Ancestry.com, but now I'm going to wait.

3cf4a53d, 2011-10-25, 04:45PM CDT

i`m glad i read all of these. it sounds to me like ancestry.com is a big rip-off. i would love to find out about my ancestors but i`m not paying one red ceny to any of these websites.

4625e80e, 2012-01-24, 08:11PM CST

I have used Ansestry.com for years through the public libraries and found it very useful and time saving. It is NOT a rip-off by any means What-so-ever. READ before you enter any agreement!!!