Posted on Monday, April 26th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by c5e5b259

Company: 2000 VW Jetta - First, a temperature sensor went out on the emission system. Of course it was OUT of WARRANTY

2000 VW Jetta

Purchased a 2000 Jetta from Carmax in Houston. That transaction was great, however, the Jetta has been nothing but problems.

First, to all those thinking about buying a "USED" Jetta, heed the advice from the April 8th complaint of the day. The 100,000 mile warranty disappears into thin air. But that is the least of my worries.

First, a temperature sensor went out on the emission system. Of course it was OUT of WARRANTY. Too bad for me, but hey, the VW dealer got a nice $400 for a simple sensor!

Then, one morning while driving to the coffee shop, a valve stem dropped away from the keeper and fell into the cylinder. The motor locked up. Of course, VW would have nothing to do with it. We'll I shouldn't say nothing. They were happy to offer me a new $7000 engine.

Lucky I found a great VW mechanic in town that rebuilt it. So only $3000 later I was back in business. Or at least I thought I was in business. What is really funny is that my mechanic said that in the 30+ years he has been in business, he has never seen anything like it.

Then while rolling down my window at the security gate at work, the window broke and fell to the bottom of the door. And wouldn't you know it, was raining cats and dogs, so I had to jump through hoops to find a garbage bag to cover it up. When I got to the dealer, I was on of 50 other Jetta owners that were also there because there window did the same thing.

They had so many that the dealer had to make temporary wooden parts. In fact, I still have wood in my door because they never called me when they got the part in (may be they never got them cause there are so many broken).

Then my emission system when on the fritz. Being a little gun shy, I took it to my trusty mechanic. First we replaced a O2 sensor. It was cheep. Only $50 bucks. Then it came on again. Replaced O2 sensor again. Another $50. Two days later it came on again. Now, trusty mechanic is scratching his head. So, now I can't get my inspection sticker cause my emission light is on.

Then I get a letter from VW, there is a problem with the mass flow sensors in the emission system. But, they don't think it is bad enough for a recall. But, hay if it is less then 60,000 they have to fix it. So, what the heck I take it to VW. Well, after paying $65 for them to hook up the diagnostic reader (what a rip off), they quickly conclude that now my Secondary air pump does not work. Too bad you don't have a warranty cause the Air pump and labor will be $800. This really has me going because you can hear the air pump run.

Now today, my wife decides to roll the passenger side window down. Big mistake. It was raining and you know what happened next. It also fell to the bottom of the door, so we had to ride home in the rain with the window down.

VW really shows just how great they think there cars are by drastically changing the warranty terms.

Hopefully no one will buy a USED VW. Maybe then, VW will learn to make a reliable car and stand by it.

As with Mr. Haper, I also HIGHLY suggest not purchasing a VW.

James B

A VERY UNHAPPY and never to be again 2000 Jetta owner

James B

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //