1999 Dodge Caravan - The first transmission exploded at 60,000 miles

Posted on Friday, April 23rd, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 9d131fcf

Company: 1999 Dodge Caravan - The first transmission exploded at 60,000 miles

1999 Dodge Caravan - The first transmission exploded at 60,000 miles

1999 Dodge Caravan

I purchased a 1999 caravan in 2001 with 34000 miles on it. The first transmission exploded at 60,000 miles while my wife was just driving down the road. I put a used one in it 44,000 miles for $800.00 a rebuilt one was $2600 because my core was bad.

The one that was put in just exploded while driving on the interstate at about 70mph. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. After doing some research I can't believe that Chysler has gotten away with using this transmission since the late eighties.

I was always a Ford guy I owned two Aerostars before this piece of crap with out any major problems. It's to bad because otherwise it is a nice looking van. It's a shame because to 2005's with the new storage and seat system looks pretty nice, but I will never give Chysler another one of my hard earned dollars. Looks like I will be going back to Ford.

Tom Z

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //

10775eab, 2009-07-19, 08:22PM CDT

I totally agree with you. I have a 1999 Caravan and have had nothing but problems with it. I kept maintenance up. Had to have the transmission rebuilt in 2002. It just exploded again today. Sad that this company can make a car like this. No wonder they are goig broke.

b6dc1818, 2009-09-10, 06:47AM CDT

Wow I guess I cant complain my 1996 transmission didn't explode till 119,000 .Hmm but 2"chunks of metal casting blown out . I wonder what came from inside which littered the highway when it blew . My son who has not a full vocabulary told my wife "Van broke rooom booom! "

6718d2f8, 2009-11-17, 09:55AM CST

Please remember, this is a Japan made product. These are nothing more than a mitsubishi drive train and an american chassy. The American car companies lost their collective butts using Jap parts. I know, I fix them every day.