Posted on Thursday, April 22nd, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by a677a318

Company: 1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6 - About 6 months after buying it, the automatic transmission went out

1995 Volkswagen Passat GLX VR6

I have a 1995 VW Passat GLX VR6. I bought it used as a demo with 15,000 miles. It now has over 80,000 miles but I've had my share of fits with it. About 6 months after buying it, the automatic transmission went out on it. One week for repair. I had to limp it 30 miles to the dealership in low gear, but fortunately it was covered under warranty. I've also had problems with the steering on and off again.

Sometimes when I go to turn into a parking space, the power steering cuts out and the steering wheel seizes up accompanied with a drop in engine RPM's. Fortunately this has never occurred at high speed. Despite taking it to the dealership a number of times concerning this matter, they've never been able to determine the cause and of course it never acts up when I take it there. In the last year and a half I've replaced the heater core which failed on me on the way to work one cold morning.

It blew anti-freeze all over the inside of the windshield while on the interstate and I had to make an emergency pull over in heavy morning traffic. This was an expensive fix out of warranty. The entire dash had to be taken apart to replace the core.

You should see what this car looks like with the entire dash and console removed. I've also had problems with the driver's door latch not latching in cold weather and now the window switch for the drivers window has failed and needs replaced. I realize that a car of this age will need repairs, but I feel these are repairs that no car should ever experience. I will not be buying another VW product.

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //

e97df207, 2009-02-20, 09:40AM CST

I have a 95 vw passat vr6 heater core went anti freeze sprayed all over car as well as the doors sticking and the handles pulling out window sticking also the paint job was never done right. The inside of the car interior fell apart very easily about the first year after purchase. I cant even get a trade in offer from a vw dealership but they sure wanted me to buy another one. No way the cost of vw repairs has broken me The engine has performed at peak, but all else has been a wreck!