Posted on Saturday, April 3rd, 2004 at 12:00am CST by 3cb02c08

Company: 1996 Ford Contour - gear broke, went through transmission - told over $ 4,000 repair bill

1996 FORD CONTOUR

I HAD A 1996 FORD CONTOUR AND IN NOVEMBER I WAS GOING BACK TO WORK AND SUDDENLY THE CAR MADE A LOUND CLUNKING SOUND AND I HAD TO STOP ON A HILL TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED. I THOUGHT I DROPPED MY TAIL PIPE OR SOMETHING. I LOOKED UNDER THE CAR AND COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING SO I GOT BACK IN AND TRIED TO MAKE IT UP THE HILL TO THE ONLY PLACE I COULD PULL OFF THE ROAD.

I CALLED MY BOSS TO COME AND GET ME BECAUSE THE CAR WAS DRAGGING. HE DID AND DROVE THE CAR AROUND A CHURCH LOT AND HE SAID IT WAS PROBABLY THE BRAKES (REAR) SO HE FOLLOWED ME BACK TO WORK AND THE CAR WOULD HARDLY MOVE. I CALLED OUR MECHANIC AND HE CAME AND TOOK THE CAR TO HIS GARAGE. HE CALLED ME AND TOLD ME THAT A GEAR BROKE AND WENT THROUGH THE TRANSMISSION. WE CALLED AROUND FOR A PRICE AND FORD AND A FEW OTHER GARAGES SAID IT WOULD COST OVER $4,000.00.

I COULD NOT GET THE CAR FIXED. MY BOSS CALLED FOR AND THEY PUT A TAG ON IT TO BE OVER $4,000 AND THAT THE CAR WAS A LEMON FROM THE TIME IT WAS PUT ON THE MARKET. TOO BAD MY SALESMAN NEVER TOLD ME THAT WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR. THE FIRST 36,000 UNDER THE WARRENTY WERE FINE NOTHING MAJOR EXCEPT THAT I SEEMED TO HAVE THE FRONT BRAKES REPLACED EVERY YEAR AND IT WENT THROUGH TIRES LIKE CRAZY.

I PUT 4 COMPLETE SETS OF TIRES ON THE CAR FROM 1997 TO 2003. I ONLY HAD THE REAR BRAKES FIXED ONCE IN THAT WHOLE TIME. AFTER MY WARRENTY EXPIRED IT WAS 3, 4,AND 500 DOLLARS TO GET THINGS FIXED. THE MOST EXPENSIVE WAS THE WATER PUMP. IT WAS $685.00. I WAS SHOCKED.

THIS CAR ONLY HAD 56,745 MILES WHEN IT WENT TO THE JUNK YARD. THIS CAR WAS NOT ABUSED EVER BUT IT SURE DID ABUSE ME. WHEN I LOOKED IN THE BLUE BOOK MY CAR HAD NO VALUE AND FORD TOLD ME IT WAS NOT WORTH FIXING. I NOW OWN A 2004 SATURN ION AND FROM WHAT I HEAR I HAVE A GOOD CAR NOW. I ALSO LEARNED MY LESSON AND BOUGHT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY.

I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD PRODUCT AGAIN AND I CERTAINALLY NOT TELL EVEN MY WORST ENEMY TO BUY A FORD PRODUCT. TOO BAD MY SALES MAN WAS NOT SO HONEST WHEN HE TOLD ME IT WAS A GREAT CAR.

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //