AOL - AOL - told will cancel me but if anyone signs on again using my password that it will automatically reactivate my account and that I will be responsible for all charges

Posted on Sunday, April 18th, 2004 at 12:00am CDT by 75a470e9

Company: AOL

Category: Internet Services

Canceling AOL

I decided to cancel my piggyback service from AOL because I now have DSL through Sprint and I'm thrilled with the new service. As for AOL, my first call to cancel went as predicted, they offered 2 free months,

suggesting that I make sure my address book, favorite list, plus emails were transferred etc.

The girl I spoke to was very polite and truly projected a sense of concern on my behalf. She told me I would receive a letter in the mail that I should totally disregard because it would state 1 month free vs. 2. Well, I received the letter and it was difficult to disregard since I realized that the reason it said 1 free month was because I was in fact paying for the second month since we all pay one month in advance for the service.

This of course, is their way of not refunding you a payment. Ok, so instead of waiting until May 14 to cancel, I decided to cancel now, I called yesterday. I get another girl on the phone, she once again takes it from the top; why do you want to cancel? how often do you use AOL? what for? and so on...

When I tell her this is the second time I've called, that I received the letter, free months etc and I still want to cancel without having to answer all the same questions... here's when it gets good... she tells me that I have used 800 hours in Feb and 500 hours March, I tell her that's impossible! She proceeds to imply that someone else must be signing on, and asked; who else has your password?

I tell her just my husband and I. Well, she goes on to tell me that she will cancel me but if anyone signs on again using my password that it will automatically reactivate my account and that I will be responsible for

all charges. What charges I ask? So she tells me "they can go shopping on AOL and my card will be charged"! WHAT? I ask.... You mean to tell me, that my card, that I entrusted AOL with for service, can be used to charge up merchandize without my authorization? She says "It's happened before $500 worth" So I rant and rave some more then she finally gives in and says "well you have to change your password" so that that won't happen. I say fine I'll change it!

Then she proceeds to say you still have a free month and I'll cancel your service. But as she is doing this she notices that I'm calling on my billing date so she says "well, you would have been billed today so you have no free month and I'll have to change you password now". Fine with me, she comes back and gives me a confirmation # and says goodbye. I ask "what about me changing the password?", she says I already did. The End! So I hope..... now my neighbor questioned, well if she changed the password for you, doesn't that give her access to your account? I'll be calling my bank........Visa and so on.....

Jeanette G