Posted on Friday, April 2nd, 2004 at 12:00am CST by c3caa1d5

Company: 1999 Hyundai Sonata - list of problems - paint defects - gas door hinge broken - dissatisfaction with Hyundai

My dissatisfaction with Hyundai

I have a 1999 Hyundai Sonata. The frustration with this automobile just seems to continue. Following is a history of its performance.

. 5/9/00 - Paint defects on hood. Hood repainted.

. 6/21/00 - Gas door hinge broken. Replaced gas door and painted to match.

. 11/9/01 - Recall - band-strip

. 2/19/01 - Right front window inoperative. Replaced window regulator.

2/19/01 - Loose trunk springs. Springs adjusted

. 8/21/01 - Left front window inoperative. Needed new regulator.

8/21/01 -Sunvisor clips broken. Replaced.

. 9/28/01 - Check engine light constantly on. Needed new sensor

. 9/28/01 - All doors will not lock, when locked. Miscellaneous door related repairs.

. 10/5/01 - Battery dead. Replaced.

. 11/2/01 - Two sensors installed (for check engine light).

. 11/12/01 - Clock not working. Special order part installed.

. 11/12/01 - Check engine light on again. Another sensor needed.

. 7/19/02 - Recall - side airbag.

. 10/29/02 - Paint coming off, left outside mirror. Mirror repainted.

. 11/11/02 - Klunking in transmission. Drive axles installed 11/19/02.

. 1/23/03 - Gas gauge not working properly. Special order sensor installed 1/31/03.

. 2/19/03 - Check engine comes on again while driving. Defective CAM sensor. Sensor replaced 2/28/03.

. 5/2/03 - Paint defects/coming off on right outside mirror, right rear panel, top of trunk. Not repaired (out of warranty).

john A

Click this link to e-mail the consumer that posted the above message: //

398a68c8, 2010-01-14, 10:04AM CST

I had almost the same problems with my 1999 sonata. Especially w/ the paint, door locks, window and clock.

e9b4867c, 2010-09-08, 10:52PM CDT

Ditto to all of the above. My latest problem is my car seems to be killing alternators. On my third one in about six months. My husband isn't sure what the problem is. I'm tired of being stranded out in the Arizona heat. Can't wait till I finish school and can buy a new car. I will not be buying a Hyundai anything.