2002 Dodge Ram - vibration in rear end of truck

Posted on Saturday, December 20th, 2003 at 12:00am CST by a66de67a

Company: 2002 Dodge Ram - vibration in rear end of truck

From: 2002 Dodge Ram - vibration in rear end of truck

I purchased a new 2002 dodge ram. in late 2002, it is still under warranty. I have had a vibration in the rear end of the truck. Killebrew Inc. the dealer repair shop said it was the rear tires. I took the truck to Discount tire co. and the checked the tires and said the tires were ok.

I went back to Killebrew and again they said it was the tires.( killebrew has no way of checking the driveshaft to see if it is out of balance).

I went back to the tired co. & replaced the left rear tire with the spare.

Went back to Killebrew and they rotated the tires. It still vibrates in the rear. I went back to Killebrew and they said it was the tires.

Discount tire co. said it was not the tires and will not replace them.

Killebrew won't replace them or even switch tire with a new truck to see if it really is the tire or replace the drive shafts.

This has been going on for 18,000 miles And I would just like to get it fixed.

What can I do ?

Thomas L. Geistman

2f9be76f, 2007-12-31, 05:19PM CST

I have a similar problem occurring to my truck. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the exact same problem. I have had it inspected and both times the service department advised the problem was with the tires. Since then I have had the tires aligned and rotated and guess what...IT HASNT FIXED THE PROBLEM...If anything, it is worse now than before...Any suggestions would be welcome

f7296e55, 2008-10-11, 09:07PM CDT

yes i too have been performing an inspection on a 02 dodge ram 1500 weve replaced outer bearings and tires are good as well seems the pinion bearing in these trucks is realy the only thing left to go so it looks like a complete rebuild is in need. sorry to burst your bubble fellas looks like you got some work to do. i found a rebuild kit for 151.37 at www.eautoworks.com

93e852d3, 2009-02-09, 12:34PM CST

I too have a 2002 1500. Dodge said it was the tires, I bought a new set (the old ones were fine but Dodge said they wouldn't even look at the truck until I replaced the tires). Then Dodge rebuilt the trans. Then they rebuilt the rear end. Then they told me they needed to buy a tool to balance the drive shaft. 3 months later still no tool. Then I had to pay to have the u-joints replaced, after they promised me that the vibration would nat hurt the u-joints. The vehicle went out of warranty before they ever fixed it. The vibration is so bad it will shake a Coke flat in 20 miles. This should be illegal.

c110c5f4, 2010-01-18, 09:51PM CST

i have a 02" ram w/ 9.25 axle and a vibration from the rear end; tires and rims were road forced balanced and are true. i think the problem is the outer axle shaft bearings are warn excessively on my truck maybe yours too. or check your u-joints @ the rear of your companion flange and or in front end of drive shaft. If the needle bearings have flat spots on them or that they are warn can give a vibration @ the rear wheels.Another one is if the drive shaft has been removed from the companion flange and was not marked w/ a refrence line is another poss. too.

a5965b71, 2010-04-13, 07:58PM CDT

I have a 2003 dodge ram that had a vibration problem in rear..i climbed under the truck a few times and one day just for the hell of it i grabbed the drive line and wiggled it.. not suppose to wiggle... the pinion plate bolts were loose... tightened them and everything is now fine.. not sure why they loosened up..

1052c7e0, 2010-05-06, 11:26PM CDT

I have the same problem. Had many things done and parts changed, no resolve. Chrysler has no idea how to fix it either. S I sued and won. Suggest you do same..

93e852d3, 2010-05-12, 08:46PM CDT

I too had this problem. The dealer said it was the tires, I bought a new set. They said it was the rims, I had them checked off the truck, not the rims. They rebuilt the trans, did not fix it. They rebuilt the rear end, did not fix it. Then they told me that they needed to order a special tool to balance the drive shaft. Months went by they still didn't have the tool. I asked if it was going to destroy the u-joints, they said no. A month later I had to replace u-joints, still no tool. My Mom got cancer I had to put my life on hold for 1 year. Now the vehicle is out of warranty. The vibration is so bad it can shake a can of soda flat in 15 miles. I guess they were just trying to out wait me until the vehicle went out of warranty. They won, I'm stuck with a truck I can't fix, nor can I sell.

mike S., 2013-05-06, 06:14PM CDT

I have a 2008 dodge 1500 a few months ago my son borrowed it. The story I got was he turned a corner too sharp and the curb cut the two tires on the pasenger side. He took the tires off the rear and called a toe truck. They pulled the truck on the flat bed without a tire on the rear hub. Now there is a shimmy that startes about 40 miles an hour and seems to settle down about 60 miles per hour. any suggestions to fix this?

Robert Allyn L., 2013-05-07, 08:45AM CDT

Mike, you have a bent wheel or axle, a good tire or repair shop can check this and quote it in about ten minutes