Posted on Friday, December 20th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by d1f36c08

Company: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - whining, whistling noise when tap on accelerator at speeds above 45 MPH

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on December 18, 2002:

From:

RE: 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - whining, whistling noise when tap on accelerator at speeds above 45 MPH

Brand new Jeep GC Laredo. Makes a whining, whistling noise when you tap on the accelerator at

speeds above 45 mph. Once you notice it, the noise is prevelant. Took it back to the dealer for service.

You guessed it, they say it's normal and exists with all 4 liter laredos.

The normal word comes from noneother than jeep themslves, not just the mechanic or sales rep. I'm really in for it now I'm sure, the noise will drive my wife and I crazy. If anyone has had similar problems with their 2003 jeep, please e-mail COMPLAINTS.COM_FORM_MAIL_41975# . I'm sure I'm in for a fight. =====

Mark

e863e739, 2011-02-24, 12:33PM CST

My Laredo is having the exact same issue, HPW (high pitched whine) occurs mostly in colder temps. first started 2 years ago, and goes away when accelerating. when you let off the gas the noise returns. now after 2 years it is constant but in varying degrees of loudness. I have replaced multiple vacuum but am still unable to find the source. It has now gotten to the point of happening all the time and I have recently lost first gear on cold starts. when I warm start the truck 1st gear returns.

Please let me know if you need any help. Sounds to me like it is a workmanship defect more than anything else.

ef05dc75, 2012-11-25, 02:26PM CST

My Grand Cherokee Limited 2000 3.1 td Diesel is having the exact same issue a hight pitch whistle, my high pitched whine occurs mostly in colder wetter damp conditions. I get it now and again , It Goes away when accelerating over 45mph. Sounds like its from the roof bars or side rear window vents or wheel bearing or rear inner arch. Could be the rear door seals or even the rear window rubber seals, could be the roof bars down the length of the jeep roof, when you let off the gas the noise returns. Speed affects the noise. It is constant but in varying degrees of loudness and sounds like air rushing through an intake, its not a mechanical sound, like a throbbing wheel bearing but I am sure its from the rear wheel arch area. When its loud its really loud. Treadle the gas and it goes. I just turn the radio up or put on a CD.