Posted on Friday, December 20th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 46e93ee2

Company: 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS - air conditioning malfunction - stitching on back window rotted - top leaks - other problems with car

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on December 18, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS - air conditioning malfunction - stitching on back window rotted - top leaks - other problems with car

In June 1998, I purchased a new Eclipse GS-Black with camel top and interior (convertible, full package--leather, cd, aluminum wheels, standard transmission, etc.) from Courtesy Mitsubishi in Tampa, Florida.

I have no complaints about the service department (although I will not buy another vehicle from this dealer and certainly no Mitsubishi's from any dealer), the Mitsubishi service writers were very accomodating.

However, the car is a piece of (bleep)!

The car now has 57,000 miles. I have had every scheduled service completed at the dealer; have washed, waxed and treated the top systematically.

Here is a list of complaints--

1. Chronic undiagnosed air conditioning malfunction for 2 years-- finally replaced compressor in year 3.

2. Stitching around back window rotted and had to be replaced at 36 months.

3. The new top (factory, not aftermarket) leaks badly in several places and the headliner has come unglued from the top leaving a droop around the back window.

4. The paint/coating on the windshield wiper assembly started peeling about a year ago (it is now greyish flaked rough metal). It looks really tacky!

5. The paint in several places started oxidizing about 6 months ago (before the car was 4 years old). Again, tacky!

6. Trunk lever stopped working about 5 months ago.

Those are the things that broke.

Here are the design defects/complaints.

1. Turning radius is so large, I cannot make a U-turn in 2 lanes (this is a short car, folks).

2. Rear window is so small the blind spot is enormous.

3. Seats do not recline more than about 30 degrees.

4. I have to double clutch or go into 1st gear about 75% of the time before I can get the thing in reverse. That can be dangerous.

5. Trunk and gas cap levers are on the floor, not in the glove box. So, if you leave the top down or have the car parked by a valet with the valet key, someone can open the trunk using the lever (that is until it breaks-see above #6)

6. Console does not lock--again, if you want to leave the top down, you can't leave anything valuable in the console. The only thing that locks is the glove box and it is not large enough to hold more than the owners manual and some paper towels. One of the fun things about a convertible is leaving the top down when you run in the store or go to the beach, etc.

One good thing about the car, it is pretty fun to drive although it doesn't have much pick-up. I have new brakes and tires (good ones) so the car does corner well and is very good in the curves.

But all-in-all, I detest this car. It wasn't cheap and I am extremely disappointed. I expected it to hold up a lot longer than this.

So don't be fooled by the cool commercials, this car s--ks. My previous car was a Miata but, after 3 years I went with the Eclipse to get a back seat. Except for a couple design flaws (which I understand have been corrected) the Miata was fabu! I'll go back to it.

Cheryl Russell