Posted on Monday, December 16th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 7d85162e

Company: 1998 VW Cabrio Convertible - convertible mechanism stopped working after 5 years - quoted $ 1,000 to fix

Complaints.com received the following consumer message on December 14, 2002:

From:

RE: 1998 VW Cabrio Convertible - convertible mechanism stopped working after 5 years - quoted $ 1,000 to fix

In January 1998 I bought my wife a brand new 1998 VW Red Cabrio convertible for our 30 anniversary.

She loves it but does not drive it much, after almost 5 years we have only 17,000 miles on it.

About three weeks ago the mechanism that raises and lowers the top stopped working.

I took it to the dealer for repair yesterday. The dealer called and said it would be $1,000 ( $877 for a hydraulic pump and 130 for labor to install).

Even for auto companies I thought this was outrageous (that is almost 5% of the total cost of the car new for a little pump ) that is just not right.

I asked the dealer who I could call to seek some relief and they gave me the VW national customer advocate 800 number -- what a joke.

I called the 800 number, they were polite and gave me a case number and everything. I thought they would do something after all this is a part that should wear out with use not time and in addition the pricing is just outrageous --

This is my 5th VW so I have been a loyal customer.

No luck they said the car was out of warranty and too old. Give me a break that is just not right.

I will never buy another VW and I am going to tell everyone I can find that I think VW of America or a bunch of crooks. I may even paint it on the side of the Cabrio.

ae5a07a2, 2008-09-10, 05:00AM CDT

I have a 99 Cabrio, 44k miles, the hydraulic hoses for the convertible have rotted and one came loose and dumped oil in the floor board. The hose was quote by VW for $330. The hose is 4 feet long 1/4" diameter with two small fittings!

Now that is theft and there are 4 hoses!

I've also replace the speedo cluster, a/c pump and the radio. These are common problems...search around you'll see!