Ford - 2000 Ford Windstar SE, 3.8 l V6 - loud rattling noise from the engine - sound caused by extensive carbon build up on the valves and pistons - vehicle has less than 34,000 miles

Posted on Thursday, December 12th, 2002 at 12:00am CST by 71d6502c

Product: 2000 Ford Windstar SE, 3.8 l V6

Company: Ford

Category: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats, Vehicles

My Windstar is still under factory warranty and has run less than 34,000 mls. I recently brought my car to the dealer because there was a loud rattling noise from the engine. At first I thought that a camshaft bearing had gone bad. At a closer look I found out that the sound came from the intake manifold.

At the dealership I was told that technically nothing was wrong with the car. However, the sound I described was caused by extensive carbon build up on the valves and pistons. I had never heard that before.

Especially in view of the fact that the car is serviced regularly, I use Mobi1 fully synthetic motor oil and fill up with premium gas. The dealer told me that this was not an unusual problem and that they had three Windstars in the previous week with the same problem.

However, flushing the intake and engine with a de-carbonizing fluid is not part of the regular maintenance and therefore not covered by warranty. I paid about USD 112.00 out of my own pocket. To date the noise didn't come back. To me this sounds like an engine design flaw because apparently it is not unusual. Does anyone have advice for me?

efd5cd98, 2009-08-14, 01:44PM CDT

DONT USE SYNTHETIC OIL. I SEE ALOT OF ENGINE PROBLEMS AS A RESULT OF SYNTHETIC OILS. IF THE OEM DIDNT USE SYNTHETIC WHEN IT WAS NEW, THEN THE ENGINE WASNT DESIGNED FOR SYNTHETIC OILS. MAINLY THE PISTON RINGS CANT CONTROL THE SYNTHETIC OIL & THE LOW TENSION RINGS (FOR BETTER FUEL ECONOMY) CANT KEEP THE SYNTHETIC OIL OUT OF THE COMBUSTION CHAMBER. SOME PEOPLE MAY NOT AGREE, BUT I OWN AN ENGINE SHOP & HAVE SEEN THOUSANDS OF ENGINES, SOME WITH FAILURES AS A RESULT OF SYNTHETIC OILS!!!